PDA

View Full Version : She's alive! Plus some new editions

The Flying Moose
Tuesday 14th September 2010, 21:14
Well on sunday the day finally came to replace the clutch and gearbox on the 850 and what a day it was.

Went up to Deans (smithness) to do the job on Sunday and we started at 9am and finished at 5pm roughly. I have never even attempted to do anything like this before so was understandably nervous, I did however have complete faith in smithness... although sometimes didnt show it! The replacement gearbox and clutch were lined up and the new box came from the flying fridge mover (for those that remember). Took the best part of three hours to get the old box off after removing airbox, wiring looms and turbo intercooler pipes etc then dropping the subframe and engine. Got the old box off to reveal a completely knackered clutch. There was bearly any meat left on it and it was quite clearly slipping. New box was a fiddle to get on but once on the rest was fairly straight forward.

We also replaced all the turbo VAC hoses and that made a noticeable difference when driving home without altering any MBC settings.

Thanks dean for helping and fixing her and she now drives like an absolute dream.

Also got the 18" VST wheels too and fitted after visiting my local dodgy tyre shop who fitted a pair of brand new Continental Contact Sport 2's for £80. I downsized the front tyres from 225/40/18 to 215/40/18 and hopefully that should help when the car eventually gets lowered.

They will need refurbing but I think the exisiting colour is spot on for my car... open to opinions however.

Here's a few pics...

Slightly Scary one:

http://i54.tinypic.com/24ax6cl.jpg

Parked up after fitting the new wheels:

http://i56.tinypic.com/2a9qt1z.jpg

Outside the old Cambells soup factory in Kings Lynn tonight:

http://i53.tinypic.com/1221zkm.jpg

LiamT4
Tuesday 14th September 2010, 21:43
They look good enough in those pics.

What are you doing with your old perfo's, as i may be wanting a pair soon.

The Flying Moose
Tuesday 14th September 2010, 21:52
They look good enough in those pics.

What are you doing with your old perfo's, as i may be wanting a pair soon.

Not perfo's they are columba's so dont fit the 302mm brake conversion underneath the wheels. I will be selling them as soon as they are cleaned up. First dibs will be to VPCUK members before the bay of e.

Santa
Tuesday 14th September 2010, 21:56
Looking good mate and with it driving better and the new box can only help those drag strip times fall ;-)

LiamT4
Tuesday 14th September 2010, 22:26
Not perfo's they are columba's so dont fit the 302mm brake conversion underneath the wheels. I will be selling them as soon as they are cleaned up. First dibs will be to VPCUK members before the bay of e.

Nevermind, cheers anyway.

Considering you had a clutch that was on its way out and some worn hoses, a 15.1 1/4mile is a bloody good time for an 855t5 with just an mbc and a cone filter.

Jamest5r
Tuesday 14th September 2010, 22:40
Nice one mate, looking good.

Smithness, ive got an engine that needs fitting in the new year, ok if i pop over:B_censore.

Hope to see you both on the 3rd.

The Flying Moose
Tuesday 14th September 2010, 22:50

Smithness, ive got an engine that needs fitting in the new year, ok if i pop over:B_censore.

Hope to see you both on the 3rd.

Cheers james. I did abit of research and turns out VST is a Japanese Volvo tuning company... really happy with the wheels though I think they look spot on.

Should be there on the 3rd if I cant afford to run I will be travelling down with smithness in his car.

Jamest5r
Tuesday 14th September 2010, 23:02
Mate you have smoke the crack pipe of 1/4 mileing, sorry there is no going back, if you dont bring your car all you will do is sit in the stands and shake asking yourself "why did i leave my car at home":bow_kneel

martybelfastt5
Tuesday 14th September 2010, 23:21
looks the part with them rims,,,,

WOODY T5
Wednesday 15th September 2010, 18:28
Well on sunday the day finally came to replace the clutch and gearbox on the 850 and what a day it was.

Went up to Deans (smithness) to do the job on Sunday and we started at 9am and finished at 5pm roughly. I have never even attempted to do anything like this before so was understandably nervous, I did however have complete faith in smithness... although sometimes didnt show it! The replacement gearbox and clutch were lined up and the new box came from the flying fridge mover (for those that remember). Took the best part of three hours to get the old box off after removing airbox, wiring looms and turbo intercooler pipes etc then dropping the subframe and engine. Got the old box off to reveal a completely knackered clutch. There was bearly any meat left on it and it was quite clearly slipping. New box was a fiddle to get on but once on the rest was fairly straight forward.

We also replaced all the turbo VAC hoses and that made a noticeable difference when driving home without altering any MBC settings.

Thanks dean for helping and fixing her and she now drives like an absolute dream.

Also got the 18" VST wheels too and fitted after visiting my local dodgy tyre shop who fitted a pair of brand new Continental Contact Sport 2's for £80. I downsized the front tyres from 225/40/18 to 215/40/18 and hopefully that should help when the car eventually gets lowered.

They will need refurbing but I think the exisiting colour is spot on for my car... open to opinions however.

Here's a few pics...

Slightly Scary one:

http://i54.tinypic.com/24ax6cl.jpg

Parked up after fitting the new wheels:

http://i56.tinypic.com/2a9qt1z.jpg

Outside the old Cambells soup factory in Kings Lynn tonight:

http://i53.tinypic.com/1221zkm.jpgno probs mate anytime and them wheels look well and 2 cheap tyres nice one

WOODY T5
Wednesday 15th September 2010, 18:30

Hope to see you both on the 3rd.yeah no probs will see u on the 3rd.

steve855
Wednesday 15th September 2010, 19:24
nice wheels. very much like mine

The Flying Moose
Wednesday 15th September 2010, 19:27
Mate you have smoke the crack pipe of 1/4 mileing, sorry there is no going back, if you dont bring your car all you will do is sit in the stands and shake asking yourself "why did i leave my car at home":bow_kneel

I know exactly what you mean, only problem is money at the moment I know if I drive ill enter and run the strip but then wont be able to afford anything else for the month. I think I may well just end up at the RR day on the 30th and Avon on the 31st as that works out well for me. Ill have to see what the finances are like next month.

yeah no probs will see u on the 3rd.

This man will do anything... living legend, some say petrol flows through his veins. James all you need to do is bring a pot of fairy liquid, sugar and some strongbow and he'll be happy :)

looks the part with them rims,,,,

Cheers mate I think they look spot on, never really gone for non standard alloys before but those just work.

The Flying Moose
Wednesday 15th September 2010, 19:31
nice wheels. very much like mine

Thanks steve... come to think about it looking in your signature they look rather similar to yours!

Jamest5r
Wednesday 15th September 2010, 19:56
yeah no probs will see u on the 3rd.

Was only taking the pee about the engine swop mate, on my 3rd one now, but thanks for the offer im getting bored with doing it lol, hopefully the next one will be staying put for a long time.

See you on the 3rd mate should be a good day.

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 16th September 2010, 10:47
I too am a 1/4 miling whore

JelT5
Thursday 16th September 2010, 11:25
Was only taking the pee about the engine swop mate, on my 3rd one now, but thanks for the offer im getting bored with doing it lol, hopefully the next one will be staying put for a long time.

See you on the 3rd mate should be a good day.

When do you think the forged item will be sorted mate? I'll deffo have the one you've got in at the mo for my non-choccy rod n piston project :)

Jamest5r
Thursday 16th September 2010, 18:51
When do you think the forged item will be sorted mate? I'll deffo have the one you've got in at the mo for my non-choccy rod n piston project :)

Just waiting on an aquaintance of ours to see if he's breaking his car as i fancy the engine out of it, dont want to name him here(will pm you) if that doesnt come off i will have mine built early new year.
But if i do buy the engine i will have a block bored out to 81.5mm and a redone head for sale.(already done) If you interested.
If not your welcome to the one that's in mine as i said before but you got to come across the water to collect lol.