PDA

View Full Version : Part-worns.....

Giles
Tuesday 14th September 2010, 21:08
......a good buy or average?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180558144720&ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:GB:1123

Just won them for £35 delivered with 3mm left (although looks like more imho)......

t5_monkey
Tuesday 14th September 2010, 21:23
They for the front or back?

if they're for the rear good buy as will take a while to wear, they say anything below 3mm gives a significant loss of grip etc... in winter/wet conditions so not sure if this time of the year is best for nearly worn tires :)

Giles
Tuesday 14th September 2010, 21:26
They for the front or back?

if they're for the rear good buy as will take a while to wear, they say anything below 3mm gives a significant loss of grip etc... in winter/wet conditions so not sure if this time of the year is best for nearly worn tires :)

NOOOOOOO - just noticed mine are 205's not 225's........

The Flying Moose
Tuesday 14th September 2010, 21:33
NOOOOOOO - just noticed mine are 205's not 225's........

Perhaps not the best buy then!!! You would get away with 215's but 225's would be a real push mate.

Giles
Tuesday 14th September 2010, 21:35
Perhaps not the best buy then!!! You would get away with 215's but 225's would be a real push mate.

damn - a bit of browsing says it should be ok (mini's, fiats) but not idea - what a dumb-ass......anyone need any 225's lol

t5_monkey
Tuesday 14th September 2010, 21:42
damn - a bit of browsing says it should be ok (mini's, fiats) but not idea - what a dumb-ass......anyone need any 225's lol

Lol actually...

I do!! Got some new rims (17x7.5) which will fit 225/45 R17 - as 225's fit the S40 without rubbing (apparently!)

Need some part-worns for the rear wheels (gonna get new ones for the front - don't think I need new ones on the rear as the car is front heavy anyway and the rears wear very little.)

Fancy flogging them to me?

Giles
Tuesday 14th September 2010, 21:45
Lol actually...

I do!! Got some new rims (17x7.5) which will fit 225/45 R17

Need some part-worns for the rear wheels (gonna get new ones for the front - don't think I need new ones on the rear as the car is front heavy anyway and the rears wear very little.)

Fancy flogging them to me?

Sure - same as i paid? £35 delivered - I'll just tell the guy to send to you instead? If you're happy with that, that helps me out and I think they are a steal for that price!

t5_monkey
Tuesday 14th September 2010, 21:50
Sure - same as i paid? £35 delivered - I'll just tell the guy to send to you instead? If you're happy with that, that helps me out and I think they are a steal for that price!

done - thanks, yep tell him to send em to me.

PM your bank details and I'll BACS you the money.

T5frankie
Tuesday 14th September 2010, 22:12
i only pay £21 each fully fitted and balanced from a garage for any 17's with 3-4mm tread left

Giles
Tuesday 14th September 2010, 22:14
i only pay £21 each fully fitted and balanced from a garage for any 17's

Can i get the same deal? Worth the drive for that price.....or can have them sent to me....

Jamest5r
Tuesday 14th September 2010, 22:48
i only pay £21 each fully fitted and balanced from a garage for any 17's

£20 each here in Birmingham lol, £25 for 18's though, just looking for a nice pair at the moment for the strip.

fireclown
Wednesday 15th September 2010, 14:33
i use to use part worn. until. i just had one fitted and the side wall blew out on the way home. good job the steering started to shudder first and i slowed down. Not for me I'm afraid.

T5frankie
Wednesday 15th September 2010, 15:31
Can i get the same deal? Worth the drive for that price.....or can have them sent to me....

sixfield tyres in northampton ring to check availability first before any trip though mate lol

850 2.5 10v
Wednesday 15th September 2010, 17:24
Never buy part worns - false economy when your life is at stake.....

scr8pdo
Wednesday 15th September 2010, 20:55
As soon as you buy a second hand car you are running part worn tyres, that is unless you go out and have 4x brand new tyres fitted right away

Giles
Wednesday 15th September 2010, 21:03
As soon as you buy a second hand car you are running part worn tyres, that is unless you go out and have 4x brand new tyres fitted right away

You should see the state of my now old, new ones.....buldges, chunks missing and bald at edges.....part worns seem safer than mine......

The Flying Moose
Wednesday 15th September 2010, 21:23
£20 each here in Birmingham lol, £25 for 18's though, just looking for a nice pair at the moment for the strip.

Fancy letting in on that one james? Where abouts and what is the name of the garage you get them from, I need a pair of 215/40/18's for rear and £25 sounds excellend to me! Ill visit them next time im in solihul or around Avon time.

scr8pdo
Wednesday 15th September 2010, 21:31
You should see the state of my now old, new ones.....buldges, chunks missing and bald at edges.....part worns seem safer than mine......

Of cause they are, there are some real bargains to be had, be honest a set of new skins in a half decent make can cost a small fortune, I know I have worked for tyre companies, there is nothing wrong with buying part worns as long as they are checked carefully, id rather have say a set of Michelins with 5mm left on than a set of chinese budget tyres (new) for the same price, I always buy part worns or can sometimes get them free, I actually sell part worns to tyre firms of the cars I scrap, obviously I would steer clear of part worns that have lots of repairs/patches etc, like I say if you went and bought yourself a nice shiny say T5 R with a matching set of 17" Michelins all round with 6 mm tread on them would you go and get them changed (cause effectively they are part worns) cause youre not, unless its just me

Giles
Wednesday 15th September 2010, 21:53
Of cause they are, there are some real bargains to be had, be honest a set of new skins in a half decent make can cost a small fortune, I know I have worked for tyre companies, there is nothing wrong with buying part worns as long as they are checked carefully, id rather have say a set of Michelins with 5mm left on than a set of chinese budget tyres (new) for the same price, I always buy part worns or can sometimes get them free, I actually sell part worns to tyre firms of the cars I scrap, obviously I would steer clear of part worns that have lots of repairs/patches etc, like I say if you went and bought yourself a nice shiny say T5 R with a matching set of 17" Michelins all round with 6 mm tread on them would you go and get them changed (cause effectively they are part worns) cause youre not, unless its just me

My comment was mainly aimed at 850 2.5 10V as he said steer clear......i cant understand the evidence behind that comment though. Sure, fireclown had one blow out on him, but it must have been because it was defective in general, not just because it was branded a 'part-worn'......I am sure there are other stories of new tyres (albeit with 5mm tread left) blowing out but no-one questions it because they were not bought 'part worn'.....all i was saying was that mine were new at some stage and now have chunks missing, are bald and one has a buldge........wonder how much my 'part worns' would make on ebay......mine would be illegal to sell.......a decent tyre with no puncture repairs and no damage with 5mm tread on for £50 delivered - bargain i'd say......

t5_monkey
Wednesday 15th September 2010, 22:25
I'm gonna check the ones I've bought... if they're remotely ropey I'll throw em away... if they look perfect but worn I'll use em.

Bit of common sense applies me thinks :)

Giles
Wednesday 15th September 2010, 22:35
I'm gonna check the ones I've bought... if they're remotely ropey I'll throw em away... if they look perfect but worn I'll use em.

I sincerely hope they're ok......

Giles
Wednesday 15th September 2010, 22:38

BTW - these were sold as 'no puncture repairs and no damage'.......sale of goods act.....if ropey, let me know......I'll get your money back ;-)

Seriously, they were sold as good, no damage, no puncture repairs......

fireclown
Thursday 16th September 2010, 09:29

True enough. but if you bought a second hand vehicle, wouldn't you check the tyre condition.

nick
Thursday 16th September 2010, 11:29
for the life of me i cannot understand why you would fit second-hand tyres to a 850R or any car for that matter. if you can't afford to fit decent (but not necessarily expensive) tyres, why are you driving this type of car ?. this may sound a bit condescending but they are the only thing holding you onto the road and a visual inspection does not guarantee their safety - you have no idea what life they have had up to the point you fit them....:tombstone

rant over

Giles
Thursday 16th September 2010, 12:19
Personally, I dont have an issue with it........they are a lot safer than the ones currently on my car (which have passed 2 MOT's in this state).......part-worn's are a legal item to purchase as long as certain guidelines are followed

http://www.cheshireeast.gov.uk/business/trading_standards/business/product_safety/selling_safe_part-worn_tyres.aspx

........it's almost like saying 'dont buy a second-hand 850R with the tyres on.....is it not........? I have no idea what life any of my car's have had with 'part-worns' on as purchased and I would say that even you have bought a second hand car before without changing the tyres immediately?

I understand what you are saying but yes, I would rather pay £25 a tyre than £130 a tyre......as long as they have been tested, have no repairs and visually look in good condition......

nick
Thursday 16th September 2010, 12:25
the first thing i did when i bought my 855R was put 4x new vredestein ultrac tyres on it even though the existing tyres looked OK (just for my own peace of mind) and because the car warrants decent tyres over and above any other mods to the car.

it always surprises me when people are happy to spend money on performance upgrades but won't shell out for decent new tyres - seems a bit arse about face to me but hey, each to their own.

however, i take your point about buying second hand cars - a visual inspection of the tyres is all you would generally (and can) do but i would personally never fit a s/h tyre in the same way you wouldn't reuse old engine oil just because its only done 2000 miles and 'looks' ok

The Flying Moose
Thursday 16th September 2010, 12:45
The main reason I buy part worns is that the front tyres on T-5's dont last 5 minutes.

The next statement is merely my opinion please nobody take offence to it!

Ill put it as simply as possible... If part worns were dangerous do you seriously think garages would be able to sell them by law. The answer is.... I dont think so!

nick
Thursday 16th September 2010, 13:09
no offence taken !!

i guess its all down to personal preference but even though its currently legal to sell & fit them doesn't, in my opinion, make it a wise choice

Jamest5r
Thursday 16th September 2010, 18:35
Fancy letting in on that one james? Where abouts and what is the name of the garage you get them from, I need a pair of 215/40/18's for rear and £25 sounds excellend to me! Ill visit them next time im in solihul or around Avon time.

Just a matter of driving around the independent's and seeing what they have mate, 3rd one i went to this afternoon had 2x 215/40/18 dunlop sport's good tread, £50 fitted and balanced. Now gracing my front rims.

Giles
Thursday 16th September 2010, 18:52
I bought these and received today........£72 delivered......seller said he thought there were no repairs but each tyre had one.......I have decided to keep and he has given me £20 off so £52 delivered....not as good a deal as Jamest5r got, but I am happy....the tyres have loads of tread, side-walls visually undamaged and a professional repair to each one......

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320587343282&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:GB:1123

scr8pdo
Friday 17th September 2010, 11:30
True enough. but if you bought a second hand vehicle, wouldn't you check the tyre condition.

You still wouldnt be able to see if its got half a dozen patches stuck to the inside of the tyre (repairs)

scr8pdo
Friday 17th September 2010, 11:39
I do my bit for the environment and use recycled tyres lol, as someone else stated Id rather pay £25 than £130 for the same tyre with an extra 2mm on especially the way T5s eat them and as for changing all your tyres even though they look ok you must have a fatter wallet than me, what a waste (in my opinion) someone else is gonna be riding round on them tyres at your expense, probably the likes of me :) thankyou very much indeed!

nick
Friday 17th September 2010, 11:48
go for it....

looking at your signature - you're happy spending dosh on go-faster stuff but not tyres...i know which would be my first choice

i very much doubt you'd be running round on my old tyres as whilst they looked OK, they were knackered on the inside of the sidewalls. actually, i guess that wouldn't be problem for some people if they were cheap enough....

Giles
Friday 17th September 2010, 14:17
go for it....

looking at your signature - you're happy spending dosh on go-faster stuff but not tyres...i know which would be my first choice

i very much doubt you'd be running round on my old tyres as whilst they looked OK, they were knackered on the inside of the sidewalls. actually, i guess that wouldn't be problem for some people if they were cheap enough....

I think this comment is rather unfair as the thread is about good part-worns, not tyres that are knackered and fit for the tip going back on. Maybe he can afford all the extra stuff as his sig says due to not forking out £300 a set of tyres. And who exactly was the comment "actually, i guess that wouldn't be problem for some people if they were cheap enough..." aimed at, insinuating that we would put any old **** on?

JelT5
Friday 17th September 2010, 15:25
I don't want to upset anyone, but, if you own a car that is capable of 150mph+ and you can't afford to put decent rubber on it....

:wtf:

Giles
Friday 17th September 2010, 15:48
I don't want to upset anyone, but, if you own a car that is capable of 150mph+ and you can't afford to put decent rubber on it....

what is decent rubber? Dunlop SP run flats or cheapo budget tyres.......? Just wondering which is the better tyre?

It's not about affording it, it's about accepting that part-worns are perfectly safe.......

The Flying Moose
Friday 17th September 2010, 16:18

Hate to say it but.... you can pick up a roadworthy T5 for £300 in some cases so I think thats a difficult card to call in this debate. Perhaps I have taken this comment in the wrong context. As long as they are W rated tyres ..... :)

Jamest5r
Friday 17th September 2010, 19:13
It's all about how much money you have to spend, yes in an ideal world i would go out and pay £150 a corner, but if i can find tyres in top condition ie matching pair no repairs and 5/6mm of tread not budget for £25 each fitted and balanced......on my head be it.

smithy
Friday 17th September 2010, 19:31
i always used nankang tyres on my v70 because they was new and at the time i delt with a dealer and james used the same dealer for his tyres too.but now he has sold up and retired its now good 6mm recycled tyres but i would not touch anything with 5mm and below .you can get good deals on tyres that have come off cars that have just had new tyres fitted and then they have had accidents thats the tyres i look for.but this is my personnel opinion not slatting anybody for what they choose to do.

Giles
Friday 17th September 2010, 19:53
i always used nankang tyres on my v70 because they was new and at the time i delt with a dealer and james used the same dealer for his tyres too.but now he has sold up and retired its now good 6mm recycled tyres but i would not touch anything with 5mm and below .you can get good deals on tyres that have come off cars that have just had new tyres fitted and then they have had accidents thats the tyres i look for.but this is my personnel opinion not slatting anybody for what they choose to do.

they got nangkang on ebay, new for £48 each.....i am tempted......look at a post from 5 years ago when i started looking at nangkangs and was told 'otherwise known as deathmeisters...." (or something)......

S70T5Chris
Friday 17th September 2010, 19:53

Absolutely!

I have the same argument on fuel, and people who use the cheapest supermarket £££££ they can find....

S70T5Chris
Friday 17th September 2010, 19:54
they got nangkang on ebay, new for £48 each.....i am tempted......look at a post from 5 years ago when i started looking at nangkangs and was told 'otherwise known as deathmeisters...." (or something)......

"ditchfinders"!!

Giles
Friday 17th September 2010, 19:56
Absolutely!

I have the same argument on fuel, and people who use the cheapest supermarket £££££ they can find....

I think Jamest5r put it the best, and it's true......yes, if I had £600 to spend on tyres then I would buy them.....but I cant afford 4 brand new tyres so if the government says part-worns (and to milk it to death i am talking about safe, good ones) are ok, then they to me are very tempting.....perhaps I should re-name the poll to 'if money were no object' then I am sure the results would be very different........

Giles
Friday 17th September 2010, 19:58
"ditchfinders"!!

LOL - better than Dai Yeung Hedgefinders.......

smithy
Friday 17th September 2010, 20:05
i never had probs with nankangs ever and i raced them and they lasted 10k on the fronts with severe battering lol.but each to there own.i have avon zv5s that are a brillant tyre but i got them at a great price and that is why they are on my 940t

p fandango
Friday 17th September 2010, 20:08
its not the cheap tyre that are dangerous, its the driver who pushes them past there limit

smithy
Friday 17th September 2010, 20:14
its not the cheap tyre that are dangerous, its the driver who pushes them past there limit

totally agree i got my avon zv5s for 140 for 4 all in just had to get them fitted witch only cost me 20 pounds .its who you now not what you know lol

JelT5
Friday 17th September 2010, 21:02
I think Jamest5r put it the best, and it's true......yes, if I had £600 to spend on tyres then I would buy them.....but I cant afford 4 brand new tyres so if the government says part-worns (and to milk it to death i am talking about safe, good ones) are ok, then they to me are very tempting.....perhaps I should re-name the poll to 'if money were no object' then I am sure the results would be very different........

I got four Vredestein Ultracs (205/45/17) for £320 delivered from Tyremen (Flatout Phil put me on to them) if that's any help. I certainly don't have £600 to spend on tyres!
The 205/45s cost a darn sight more than 215/40/17s...but due to French MOT standards (which are well wierd) I'm not allowed to use em.
Sale of part worns is illegal here AFAIK...there must be some reasoning behind that?

t5_monkey
Friday 17th September 2010, 21:11
Well I just put part worns on the back of my car.

Had a long and close inspection of the tyres - they were perfect both inside and out aside from the wear obviously, no visible damage or repairs.

Part worns Going on the back - which is slightly less critical than the front, on which goes brand new Continental Contact Sport 3's

First impressions - good, way better than the Ultracs I had - going from 205 to 225 makes a huge difference to the grip levels.

p fandango
Friday 17th September 2010, 21:15
Sale of part worns is illegal here AFAIK...there must be some reasoning behind that?
because there French. We don't eat frogs legs & theirs defo reasons for that lol

JelT5
Friday 17th September 2010, 21:23
because there French. We don't eat frogs legs & theirs defo reasons for that lol

Well there is that I guess; think it's quite a few European countries that don't allow part worns to be sold. Probably on commission from the tyre companies lol

As for frogs legs...well I've not met anyone here yet who has eaten them. Most peeps think it's a cruel and archaic practice thankfully.

Giles
Friday 17th September 2010, 22:33
Well I just put part worns on the back of my car.

Had a long and close inspection of the tyres - they were perfect both inside and out aside from the wear obviously, no visible damage or repairs.

Part worns Going on the back - which is slightly less critical than the front, on which goes brand new Continental Contact Sport 3's

First impressions - good, way better than the Ultracs I had - going from 205 to 225 makes a huge difference to the grip levels.

Can I leave good feedback then?

t5_monkey
Friday 17th September 2010, 23:28
Can I leave good feedback then?

yeah please do :) very happy with em - thanks!

Ben

scr8pdo
Saturday 18th September 2010, 02:59
go for it....

I have constant access to a workshop anyway, most of the time my tyres come off the rim at some point anyways whether to rotate them or refurb the rims plus I worked for major tyre companies for years and would notice dangerous sidewall damage, when I tyre is off the rim its blatently obvious if its been run flat and stuff like that would be scrapped regardles of how the tread was, after all your tyres wouldnt be on the rims if you would have changed them so the damage would be seen straight away,

If you bought a lovely T5 R and it appeared to have a matching set of almost new looking say Michelins or Contis, would you seriously go straight to a tyre shop and buy a brand new set of tyres on the off chance they may have been damaged in the past, run flat etc some way or form, I would agree if it had a miss matched set of tyres with differnt wear rates I would change them to at least 2 pairs or a full set but not do it in the first instance I mentioned, I dont know anyone who would to be honest

scr8pdo
Saturday 18th September 2010, 03:04

Who said it isnt decent rubber? Ive been in the motor trade for a very long time and like to think I know the difference between a knackered tyre and one with plenty of life in it, like anything just cause your car is 15 years old is it ready for the scrap yard? I know a lot of people would think so, but we know better dont we ;)

scr8pdo
Saturday 18th September 2010, 03:13
Absolutely!

Ok so you go out buy the most expensive tyres you can find for your car, costs you £££s of pounds, a week later your cars engine goes pop, or gets written off sitting on the side of the road, you then get a new car, the same as your old one, would you throw your old tyres away cause they are secondhand and not use them on your new car, would you dump the tyres rather than advertise them cause you assume no one will want a second hand tyre (that cost you £££s a week before) because no one should skimp on tyres, 2nd hand tyres are a false economy, these are the tyres Iam talking about, decent make tyre with decent life left in them, I would rather have those tyres than a lesser quality brand new tyre

JelT5
Saturday 18th September 2010, 07:33
Who said it isnt decent rubber? Ive been in the motor trade for a very long time and like to think I know the difference between a knackered tyre and one with plenty of life in it, like anything just cause your car is 15 years old is it ready for the scrap yard? I know a lot of people would think so, but we know better dont we ;)

You're in the trade, so it stands to reason that you'd know the difference between a decent tyre and a knackered one.

However, I'm not, and can only base my opinion on past experience (30 years+ of driving) which has not been good regarding part worns.

t5_monkey
Saturday 18th September 2010, 08:02
If you shouldn't buy used tyres.... surely it would follow you should never buy a used car?

How many people on here bought their 2nd hand car.. and then immediately put 4 new tyres on regardless of the tread depth of the ones present??

IC
Saturday 18th September 2010, 09:23
I wouldn't buy part worn tyres instead of a new tyres to put on a performance car because the history of the part-worn tyre is unknown. There could be hidden damage in the sidewall after the tyre has been kerbed by its previous owner. I don't see the point of spending money on upgrades and modifications on a car and then skimping by fitting second-hand tyres. The only thing between the car and the road is the very small contact area that the tyre has with the road.

I don't see the point of owning a high performance car, modifying the car and then skimping on what is probably one of the most important safety aspects of the car to save money.

Giles
Saturday 18th September 2010, 09:35
If you shouldn't buy used tyres.... surely it would follow you should never buy a used car?

How many people on here bought their 2nd hand car.. and then immediately put 4 new tyres on regardless of the tread depth of the ones present??

LOL - agreed - mine were (and still are) knackered, 17 months since buying the car......chunks missing off side-walls, bald at edges and one has a buldge....hence why now I am looking for 4 new tyres.....and I have 2 x part-worns already, but may go and buy 2 more hero's today (£120 fitted !!!!!) and put the 2 x Dunlop SP MAXX run flats with a repair in each, on the back.....

t5_monkey
Saturday 18th September 2010, 12:25
I wouldn't buy part worn tyres instead of a new tyres to put on a performance car because the history of the part-worn tyre is unknown. There could be hidden damage in the sidewall after the tyre has been kerbed by its previous owner. I don't see the point of spending money on upgrades and modifications on a car and then skimping by fitting second-hand tyres. The only thing between the car and the road is the very small contact area that the tyre has with the road.

I don't see the point of owning a high performance car, modifying the car and then skimping on what is probably one of the most important safety aspects of the car to save money.

When and if you bought your car 2nd hand I... did you change all 4 tyres immediately?
< hey iain... you forgot to answer this one ;)

After all - how could you be sure you knew the full history of the tires?

I'm not saying buying good parts is a bad thing, I've got brand new Continental Contact Sport 3's on the front of my S40 - just pointing out that if you've ever bought a 2nd hand car you almost certainly haven't followed your own advice :)

How many people on here immediately changed all 4 tyres when they bought a second hand car? *hands up*

JelT5
Saturday 18th September 2010, 12:57
I would have when I bought my latest, but had to get the ferry back home almost straight away, so wasn't practical.
Changed them all within a month though. They weren't bad, but as the car hadn't been looked after particularly well I wasn't taking any chances.

IC
Saturday 18th September 2010, 13:01
When and if you bought your car 2nd hand I... did you change all 4 tyres immediately?
< hey iain... you forgot to answer this one ;)

After all - how could you be sure you knew the full history of the tires?

I'm not saying buying good parts is a bad thing, I've got brand new Continental Contact Sport 3's on the front of my S40 - just pointing out that if you've ever bought a 2nd hand car you almost certainly haven't followed your own advice :)

How many people on here immediately changed all 4 tyres when they bought a second hand car? *hands up*

Hi, funnily enough the last car that I bought I replaced the two rear tyres a few days after buying it - it's the choice of the new owner making a risk assessment when assessing the tyres on a second-hand car, however I'm talking about the buying of second-hand tyres to put onto a high performance car rather than fitting new tyres. I understand your point, however I contend that buying second-hand tyres for a performance car is false economy and doesn't make sense when an owner has spent money on modifying the car. It's a question of priorities on safety, which in my opinion should always the first criteria when spending money on a car. There is no point what so ever modyfying a car to make it faster or handle better if the owner prioritises those modification over using new tyres by fitting second-hand tyres.

t5_monkey
Saturday 18th September 2010, 14:39
Hi, funnily enough the last car that I bought I replaced the two rear tyres a few days after buying it - it's the choice of the new owner making a risk assessment when assessing the tyres on a second-hand car, however I'm talking about the buying of second-hand tyres to put onto a high performance car rather than fitting new tyres. I understand your point, however I contend that buying second-hand tyres for a performance car is false economy and doesn't make sense when an owner has spent money on modifying the car. It's a question of priorities on safety, which in my opinion should always the first criteria when spending money on a car. There is no point what so ever modyfying a car to make it faster or handle better if the owner prioritises those modification over using new tyres by fitting second-hand tyres.

so you didn't change all the tyres then - you left the 2 part worns on that appeared to be as far as you could discern in excellent condition ? :)

funnily... that's exactly what i've just done :D

scr8pdo
Saturday 18th September 2010, 17:51
Only new tyres i buy are remoulds, absolute bargain :)

Giles
Saturday 18th September 2010, 22:37
Can I just ask if a tyre gets a puncture, is it an accepted practise to get it repaired?

only reason i ask is that a lot state 'no puncture repairs' almost in a way that states therefore they are acceptable......am i missing a point here.....is it because that generally means they havn't been driven flat, damaging the side walls etc, and can a tyre fitter tell if damage has occurred through this?

Surely a tyre repair shop by repairing a tyre is admitting that the tyre is roadworthy and thus putting a 'part worn' on a car and providing a guarantee that the tyre is safe? Or not....?

Any tyre fitters out there?

Giles
Saturday 18th September 2010, 22:39
[B]

Yeah right.......as if the car wasn't enough, going out and spending £600 more on tyres........dont think so......that is my opinion, others i see have very different opinions

t5_monkey
Saturday 18th September 2010, 23:43
Yeah right.......as if the car wasn't enough, going out and spending £600 more on tyres........dont think so......that is my opinion, others i see have very different opinions

I think it's all well and good telling other people to always buy brand new tyres... but at the end of the day we don't all have unlimited cash...

.... and the buying a second hand car and not replacing the tyres blows that whole theory out of the water...

I think it's always good to not skimp - however, there are alternatives to buying brand new (as we all know when getting 2nd hand cars) that can be better value for money if you're careful.

Giles
Sunday 19th September 2010, 00:00
I have tried a few companies round my area for fitting mine, most wont do it as 'company policy, part worns and all that ££££££'......found a one man band who will tho......£10 a tyre

Everyone has their views, and some more safety contious than others.....I am safety paramount. But when I dont see any problems with part worns, cannot justify the extra spend on new tyres. Again, we could argue our views unlimited times on this, each to their own.

Unless someone shows me evidence of part worn tyres vs new then I have no issue with good, undamaged, part worns. And it's not a false economy as mine are great in the middle, but the edges are sh***d......so if i bought new, i would be throwing money away on replacing 'good' tyres with only wear being to outsides.......

scr8pdo
Sunday 19th September 2010, 06:05
I have tried a few companies round my area for fitting mine, most wont do it as 'company policy, part worns and all that ££££££'......found a one man band who will tho......£10 a tyre

Everyone has their views, and some more safety contious than others.....I am safety paramount. But when I dont see any problems with part worns, cannot justify the extra spend on new tyres. Again, we could argue our views unlimited times on this, each to their own.

Unless someone shows me evidence of part worn tyres vs new then I have no issue with good, undamaged, part worns. And it's not a false economy as mine are great in the middle, but the edges are sh***d......so if i bought new, i would be throwing money away on replacing 'good' tyres with only wear being to outsides.......

Well said, my point exactly and that old chestnut about 2nd hand tyres are a false economy you are skimping on safety is a load of rubbish, if you know hat your getting, its a decent tyre a 3rd of its way through its life what a waste just to discard it, scared to fit it as its a risk, saying that, its us folk in the know who benefit from the worriers lol

scr8pdo
Sunday 19th September 2010, 06:17
Can I just ask if a tyre gets a puncture, is it an accepted practise to get it repaired?

only reason i ask is that a lot state 'no puncture repairs' almost in a way that states therefore they are acceptable......am i missing a point here.....is it because that generally means they havn't been driven flat, damaging the side walls etc, and can a tyre fitter tell if damage has occurred through this?

Surely a tyre repair shop by repairing a tyre is admitting that the tyre is roadworthy and thus putting a 'part worn' on a car and providing a guarantee that the tyre is safe? Or not....?

Any tyre fitters out there?
It is perfectly legal and safe to repair a tyre as long as its done in the correct way and is within a certain zone within the tyre, a professional tyre fitter will know this zone, We were told never to repair Runflat tyres for punctures for some reason, maybe because the runflat had been driven on flat and made the tyre weak in itself where as you would know straight away with a conventional tyre if it were flat, if a tyre has been run flat (conventional) the sidewall normalkly disintergrates and this is blatant as there is handulls of granulated rubber loose inside the tyre or cracking around the inner edge of the sidewall, a sidewall or a shoulder of a tyre should never be repaired again this is highlighted within the zones, the reason people advertise no repairs etc on pasrt worns is people would rather buy one without repairs and if they have been repaired have they been done safely? Also a tyre would require extra balancing if its been repaired, I used to do scores of repairs everyday, it was also our discretion whether we should repair the tyre taking into account condition, tread depth etc, A lot of BMW drivers and late MINI owners used to be gutted that their tyres (run flats) couldnt be repaired, some were almost new tyres, we were previously allowed to repair runflats (RFT) tyres but then a bulletin went around stopping it

Giles
Sunday 19th September 2010, 07:36
It is perfectly legal and safe to repair a tyre as long as its done in the correct way and is within a certain zone within the tyre, a professional tyre fitter will know this zone, We were told never to repair Runflat tyres for punctures for some reason, maybe because the runflat had been driven on flat and made the tyre weak in itself where as you would know straight away with a conventional tyre if it were flat, if a tyre has been run flat (conventional) the sidewall normalkly disintergrates and this is blatant as there is handulls of granulated rubber loose inside the tyre or cracking around the inner edge of the sidewall, a sidewall or a shoulder of a tyre should never be repaired again this is highlighted within the zones, the reason people advertise no repairs etc on pasrt worns is people would rather buy one without repairs and if they have been repaired have they been done safely? Also a tyre would require extra balancing if its been repaired, I used to do scores of repairs everyday, it was also our discretion whether we should repair the tyre taking into account condition, tread depth etc, A lot of BMW drivers and late MINI owners used to be gutted that their tyres (run flats) couldnt be repaired, some were almost new tyres, we were previously allowed to repair runflats (RFT) tyres but then a bulletin went around stopping it

My part worns are run flats and each have a repair in......

S70T5Chris
Sunday 19th September 2010, 08:07
http://www.tyresafe.org/news-and-events/detail/more-drivers-taking-dangerous-risks-with-part-worn-tyres/

Giles
Sunday 19th September 2010, 08:50
http://www.tyresafe.org/news-and-events/detail/more-drivers-taking-dangerous-risks-with-part-worn-tyres/

Thanks for this - I had been looking for evidence, but it doesn't state that the 34 killed in 2008 were because of part worns....just says under-inflated tyres etc....

Makes interesting reading and now I am almost scared into re-selling mine (!!!) and buying new.......but they are so costly.....decents sets anyway....may go the nankang route......I dunno yet.........but interesting post - perhaps all part worn sales should be illegal?

scr8pdo
Sunday 19th September 2010, 09:37
What you dont hear about are the hundreds of defects that are found in new tyres, the amount of times (i have lost count) a customer has bought a car back in with either a massive bulge on there new tyres or a violent shaking only to find the tyre is out of shape, as for your runflats being repaired if there is no evidence of damage inside I really wouldnt worry, as I said we used to legally repair them until a bulletin came out, this is where people would think it ok to ride around on a runflat with a punture for a while til they could get it repaired, this can eventually weaken the tyre by crumbling the sidewall but its very rare, RFT sidewalls are extremely thick. thats what makes them what they are, Iam not condoning using tyres with repairs this is a bit of a risk becuase the patch may come off and your tyre will go down but that is it in 99% of cases, blowouts are caused by the likes of a big split suddenly letting go or a bulge in the sidewall bursting like a balloon causing rapid deflation, and I bet the tyres that caused the deaths were sidewall damadged either before or after they were fitted, if you clip a kerb in your tyre today or on a brand new tyre 5 mins aftyer having it fitted it just the same and there is no way I would fit a tyre new or second hand with damaged sidewalls to whatever degree

scr8pdo
Sunday 19th September 2010, 09:44
Another point: If you go ionto any tyre shop, like kwik fit ATS anywhere they will all tell you (the customer) that its false economy, dangerous to fit partworns anyone in the government will say it on the telly, but I bet you if your brother, mate whoever worked at the garage and you asked them you would get a different answer everytime, I know Ive worked there in various different garages, I know im, not going to convince everyone Iam just trying to help put some facts straight

scr8pdo
Sunday 19th September 2010, 09:53

If you read that carefully it states that there are strict rules ang regs on part worns, most part worn outlets have to adhere to these and the tyres have all been checked, you will usually see a white circle stamped on the side of them to indicate this, in that report it states the deaths are related to dangerous, damaged or under inflated tyres, not because they are part worn, I totally agree if you are buying a part worn from an untrusted source be careful or if you dont feel confident in checking get a second opinion of someone in the trade, there are thousands of perfectly safe part worn tyres that have met the safety standard out there that people with limited funds can take advantage of, people who need a set of 4 tyres for an MOT and cant afford brand new tyres unless they are cheap nasty budgets

t5_monkey
Sunday 19th September 2010, 10:29
I think the morale is:

- check your tyres regularly
- check your car regularly
- don't fit or use anything that doesn't look perfect on close inspection
- make your own on balance decision with your own money

I check my car every time I wash it and do a full careful check ... every month (I drive about 400 miles a month).

One question I'd like to know though - which is worse, a front blow out or a back back blowout?

I'm guessing on understeery Volvos like ours a front would be worse?

p fandango
Sunday 19th September 2010, 10:36
One question I'd like to know though - which is worse, a front blow out or a back back blowout?

I'm guessing on understeery Volvos like ours a front would be worse?
front blowout is worse because its the front doing all the work & steering, i had a rear blowout at motorway speed & hardly knew about it. Got a slight steering vibration (felt like a small weight had come off) but other than that you would hardly of known

cleared the garage out yesterday & found a 225/35/18 tyre i never knew i had lol

smithy
Sunday 19th September 2010, 10:55
the is nothing wrong with nankangs i know peeps with subs and skylines who sweare by them .

scr8pdo
Sunday 19th September 2010, 17:00
Nothing wrong with Nankangs, good value I think, these are one of the better budgets, I seem to remember years ago that Toyos were budgets and Maxxis now everyones after them, tried and tested see