PDA

View Full Version : Changing over Turbochargers

gotmeaT-5
Tuesday 14th September 2010, 20:56
I have been told that instead of cutting and rewelding my downpipe to take the angled flange 18T turbocharger all I need to do is put the parts of the 18T into the casing of the 15G !!! [say what????]

Is this possible or horse manure ?

t5 pete
Tuesday 14th September 2010, 21:01
What you will need to do is swap the exhaust housings over not a big job

gotmeaT-5
Tuesday 14th September 2010, 21:20
so the Scooby boys were correct.... Time to get the spanners out

Dangerous Dave
Tuesday 14th September 2010, 23:00
It should be possible

AFAIK the TD04HL range all use the same exhaust turbine (I think some had a different wastegate port size, but that doesn't interfere with the turbine bit), so all you need to do is remove undo the oil/water hoses and undo the centre clamp and pull out the compressor housing and fit the 18T one in.

Just be very very careful when you remove and fit them as damaging the turbine blades is obviously gonna screw the turbo, and you might need another person as splitting the halves may require tapping a screwdriver in the gap to release them, so someone will need to support it to prevent any damage to the blades.

Basically all of the unit on the left in the pic (compressor housing and CHRA)
http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/vbarticles/editor/assets/photos/dooby/Picture035.jpg

gotmeaT-5
Wednesday 15th September 2010, 11:09
Thanks chaps that's saved some time and money.

Phuturephantasy
Wednesday 15th September 2010, 12:52
Does this mean that I could purchase a 19T cartridge - which are available on ebay for £299 and put it inside my standard 15G housing to make a 19T Turbo?

p fandango
Wednesday 15th September 2010, 15:30
Does this mean that I could purchase a 19T cartridge - which are available on ebay for £299 and put it inside my standard 15G housing to make a 19T Turbo?
does it include the intake casing of the turbo because the 19t will have a bigger turbine which won't fit into the 15g housing

Dangerous Dave
Wednesday 15th September 2010, 22:37
Pedro is right, you need the 19T compressor housing to match the 19T compressor wheel