PDA

View Full Version : Powerflex Bushes

hussar
Monday 13th September 2010, 16:27
Hi Keep seeing adverts for Powerflex bushes etc,
are they any good? are they easy to change for the old ones as suggested in adverts? will they give the improvements claimed?
Any thoughts out there?

Flatout Phil
Monday 13th September 2010, 16:37
Well, yes and no.
If you like a vroomy noise, get a top mount. Makes a good thrumming noise. I don't think it does much else! I decided not to go ahead on the rest for fear of being deafened. Wishbones bushes are supposed to be good, but mine never have been - the design is a bit c@@ppy IMHO. Yes they will firm up the steering somewhat - but will need replacing quite often unless you drive like a vicar and you drive along smooth roads.
But the top mount will appeal to the 8 year old in you, as does to the 8 year old in me!

dave stew
Monday 13th September 2010, 19:44
Top mounts aside, using Powerflex in the suspension (especially the front wishbones) is a very worthwhile mod.

t5_monkey
Monday 13th September 2010, 20:53
Well, yes and no.
If you like a vroomy noise, get a top mount. Makes a good thrumming noise. I don't think it does much else! I decided not to go ahead on the rest for fear of being deafened. Wishbones bushes are supposed to be good, but mine never have been - the design is a bit c@@ppy IMHO. Yes they will firm up the steering somewhat - but will need replacing quite often unless you drive like a vicar and you drive along smooth roads.
But the top mount will appeal to the 8 year old in you, as does to the 8 year old in me!

do polybushes really not last very long? I thought they were supposed to be really durable.

p fandango
Monday 13th September 2010, 20:56
do polybushes really not last very long? I thought they were supposed to be really durable.
i think there was a fault with either the design or compound of the wishbone bushes on 850's, they've changed them now but i've got the original design so think i might have to replace BT's again :frown:

v70torslanda
Tuesday 14th September 2010, 13:32

We changed the rear (standard) bushes on the V70 (again) in July after 3 years and about 70k.

The fronts (PF) showed NO signs of wear or degredation.

In my book that's durable . . .

Flatout Phil
Tuesday 14th September 2010, 14:54
The problem with front wishbone bushes (aside from torsional distortion - maybe a dud batch) are those STUPID 'O'-ring things on the inner part of the wishbone bush) that always seem to break up. I gather that because I have an IPD ARB that this will wear them even more quickly. Ho hum. That aside, they do make for a very tight handling set-up - really chuckable - better than the standard Volvo ones I am running at present (although they are actually OK).

v70torslanda
Tuesday 14th September 2010, 15:01
The problem with front wishbone bushes (aside from torsional distortion - maybe a dud batch) are those STUPID 'O'-ring things on the inner part of the wishbone bush) that always seem to break up.

Not summat I'm familiar with, are we talking about PFF88-601 for the front of the front wishbone?

Can you show me what you mean? - I'm concerned now!

J