PDA

View Full Version : Which is the better D5 to get

Eraserhead
Monday 13th September 2010, 15:24
Hi everyone,i currently own a Saffron 97 V70 R awd EST,and i do 40 miles a day,low and behold the cost of fuel is getting to me,so it might have to go.I was just wondering about a D5,i have about £5500,im not bothered about shape or transmission (apart from i dont want geartronic),what do have to look for.Many thanks

p fandango
Monday 13th September 2010, 16:01
i picked up a 2002 S60 D5 with 147k, 12months MOT for £2550. The intercooler needs replacing now but other than that she's as sweet as anything

& my old man has recently bought a 2003 S60 D5 with 115k miles, 12months MOT & more extras than me (satnav & phone) for £3500. He's got the common DIM fault but both been good cars, both manuals

http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/9198/picture036fr.jpg

5seaterT5x2
Monday 13th September 2010, 16:16
Hi everyone,i currently own a Saffron 97 V70 R awd EST,and i do 40 miles a day,low and behold the cost of fuel is getting to me,so it might have to go.I was just wondering about a D5,i have about £5500,im not bothered about shape or transmission (apart from i dont want geartronic),what do have to look for.Many thanks

if theres nothing wrong except the price of fuel why not keep it and LPG it for about £1500? i did ;-)

Flatout Phil
Monday 13th September 2010, 16:21
How about an LPG conversion? Means you can keep your Saffy and run it at diesel costs? Conversion on 5 cylinders are now about £1200 - so a better budget deal possibly. Talking to a V70 D5 owner yesterday who knocked on my door - he said he found the D5 (Rica'd) had lots of power, but just was not the same as his old P2 T5. The T5 had a limitless oomph, the diesel, good whilst on cam (so to speak) but a bit lacking in broad range zoomability.

If you are into green things, LPG is much less polluting that diesel (as indeed is petrol for that matter) - speaking as a wheezy asthmatic!

Flatout Phil
Monday 13th September 2010, 16:26
if theres nothing wrong except the price of fuel why not keep it and LPG it for about £1500? i did ;-)

Where did you get yours done - and is it mapped?

5seaterT5x2
Monday 13th September 2010, 17:24
Where did you get yours done - and is it mapped?

had it done almost 3 years ago in river road dagenham, no not mapped yet but it's on the list

these guys did mine http://www.biglpg.co.uk/

v70torslanda
Tuesday 14th September 2010, 14:00
2003 V70 D5 SE Auto. Bought Feb 06 57k. Currently 132k. Average mpg overall 42. Some people get better mpg but I don't drive it like a granny. Replaced,wishbones, brakes, shock absorbers, drop links, balljoints, intercooler, alarm siren. I will have paid over £20k by the time it is paid for in Feb next year.

I'm going to get the gearbox overhauled cos it has the symptoms of needing a B4 solenoid repair. If it doesn't do another 100k I'm gonna be upset. ;)

I love it to bits but I'm NEVER going to get that deep into a finance deal again - ever.

Euro IV cars - with FAP '05-on - are rumoured to be less economical (and are mostly geartronic). They also use 0w30 low SAPS oil which is bloody dear. Get a manual.

Don't waste your money on LPG. It won't add any value to your car. It will take another 10 years of use before it pays you back. You can't take it thru the Channel Tunnel and you end up driving with either no spare wheel or luggage space.

Plus you have to fill up twice as often.

Just sayin'

5seaterT5x2
Tuesday 14th September 2010, 14:36
2003 V70 D5 SE Auto. Bought Feb 06 57k. Currently 132k. Average mpg overall 42. Some people get better mpg but I don't drive it like a granny. Replaced,wishbones, brakes, shock absorbers, drop links, balljoints, intercooler, alarm siren. I will have paid over £20k by the time it is paid for in Feb next year.

I'm going to get the gearbox overhauled cos it has the symptoms of needing a B4 solenoid repair. If it doesn't do another 100k I'm gonna be upset. ;)

I love it to bits but I'm NEVER going to get that deep into a finance deal again - ever.

Euro IV cars - with FAP '05-on - are rumoured to be less economical (and are mostly geartronic). They also use 0w30 low SAPS oil which is bloody dear. Get a manual.

Don't waste your money on LPG. It won't add any value to your car. It will take another 10 years of use before it pays you back. You can't take it thru the Channel Tunnel and you end up driving with either no spare wheel or luggage space.

Plus you have to fill up twice as often.

Just sayin'

waste money on lpg??? imagine you've never had one? loose boot space? why? tank goes in spare wheel well. lots of over priced new cars seem to come either without a spare wheel or a space saver which takes up very little space in boot. tis true you cant go in tunnel so how many times a week do you go on train in tunnel?? must be lots to justify that poor excuse. fill up twice as often possibly but only for the price of a diesel filling up once and my 850 t5 does around 250 miles to a tank. oh and it did'nt cost me £20 k either lol. bin running lpg cars for 9 years my current for almost 3 no regrets at all in anyway shape or form

v70torslanda
Tuesday 14th September 2010, 15:05
In terms of cost. On a car that's 13 years old or whatever. And worth about 30p. As in 'Throwing good money after bad' etc. etc.

Plus in the OP he asked which D5. Last I looked you couldn't fit LPG to diesels . . . ;)

5seaterT5x2
Tuesday 14th September 2010, 15:32
In terms of cost. On a car that's 13 years old or whatever. And worth about 30p. As in 'Throwing good money after bad' etc. etc.

Plus in the OP he asked which D5. Last I looked you couldn't fit LPG to diesels . . . ;)

he did indeed ask which is the best d5 , perhaps like yourself he knows little or nothing about the day to day pluses and minuses (not to many in my 9 years plus experience) of owning/running an lpg vehicle, and i dont know why he might or might not want to fit lpg to a diesel as he has a petrol powered car? (which of course you can do although the benefits are somewhat less than fitting to a petrol engine) and what thats got to do with going through eurotunnel once in a blue moon well thats anybodies guess i suppose. my opinions i hope you understand are purely based on my own personel experiences and they certainly would'nt thank god cost £20k

Al115
Tuesday 14th September 2010, 15:56
The topic was indeed about D5s, but I can see why input about "why not keep the R and LPG it" might also be welcome... no need to fall out over it. Chill :)

Oh and thanks to everyone for the helpful input (on behalf of the OP!)

p fandango
Tuesday 14th September 2010, 16:56
Average mpg overall 42. Some people get better mpg but I don't drive it like a granny.
what you saying, i'm getting 45.6mpg & thats with a knackered intercooler lol