PDA

View Full Version : My freshly painted calipers

Giles
Sunday 12th September 2010, 20:52
Well, took me since friday afternoon (most of the time spent letting them dry for subsequent costs), but although dark when i took these (just now), think they look ok......150ml can, each had 3 coats and still half a can left!

t5_monkey
Sunday 12th September 2010, 20:55
I'm not sure the photos completely do them justice - look like they will look the biz!

Tomcat
Sunday 12th September 2010, 21:03
Mmmm nice and sparkly, can't beat a painted caliper.

willi
Sunday 12th September 2010, 22:05
Very niiiiice.

martybelfastt5
Monday 13th September 2010, 00:15
they aye shiny what did you use this is somthing im doing soon,,,

850t5
Monday 13th September 2010, 01:01
They look good mate. Any tips you could give or is it a straight forward job?

Giles
Monday 13th September 2010, 07:14
they aye shiny what did you use this is somthing im doing soon,,,

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120448139764

yes and no...have to clean them (but you get a can of xylene to do that with) and I used a wire brush.......came up well....the back ones are easy, the front not so easy (lots of small bits), but is not too bad a job to do tbh

smithy
Monday 13th September 2010, 09:47
nice job mate i used halfords caliper brush paint to do mine.small wire brush ,white spirit or something similar ,i used terpintine myself and then paint.

scr8pdo
Monday 13th September 2010, 16:13
Ive just literally done mine yesterday, off the car in RS lime green, but now iam not too sure about it, its proper lairy Il get a pic in a min when its stopped p*****g down, I spent ages first with them in a baby bath with parrafin to get grease off, then wire brushing them, then cleaning with brake cleaner and finally giving them a coat, were supposed to look like this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GREEN-E-TECH-Car-Brake-Caliper-Engine-Bay-Paint-Kit-RS-/110565068755?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item19be310fd3

This is how they look now

http://i52.tinypic.com/19136s.jpg

By the way that is not big blobs of paint on them its rain drops

Giles
Monday 13th September 2010, 20:22
Ive just literally done mine yesterday, off the car in RS lime green, but now iam not too sure about it, its proper lairy Il get a pic in a min when its stopped p*****g down, I spent ages first with them in a baby bath with parrafin to get grease off, then wire brushing them, then cleaning with brake cleaner and finally giving them a coat, were supposed to look like this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GREEN-E-TECH-Car-Brake-Caliper-Engine-Bay-Paint-Kit-RS-/110565068755?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item19be310fd3

This is how they look now

http://i52.tinypic.com/19136s.jpg

By the way that is not big blobs of paint on them its rain drops

Nice....wish I'd taken mine off now to do them......I also bought these for them - closest thing I could find.......may cut the 'type' bit off and just use the'R'

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220639932514

Tacky maybe, but my mate just did her supra and they look smart

scr8pdo
Monday 13th September 2010, 22:40
Where are you going to put the sticker on the wheels or calipers?

Just out of interest, did you say you gave the calipers 3 coats? If so how long did you give them to dry between coats? They look extremely glossy, NICE!

Im hoping they (Lime green) calipers will look a bit toned down once behind the wheels, they are a lot brighter than I assumed, lol, have you done your rears too?

Giles
Monday 13th September 2010, 22:44

Just out of interest, did you say you gave the calipers 3 coats? If so how long did you give them to dry between coats?

Im hoping they (Lime green) calipers will look a bit toned down once behind the wheels, they are a lot brighter than I assumed, lol, have you done your rears too?

I must admit, if I had a choice of colours, lime green would be near the bottom lol......i chose red as my car is red and thought it wouldn't look too odd.....

3 coats so far......4th should do it......and i let them dry for about 20 hours......and yes, i have done all four.....(had to put the wheels back on carefully in order to use the jack for the other side)

Storm-Troll
Monday 13th September 2010, 22:46
looking good mate... although I have given up on the colourful ones.. I hated having to take bloody ages to clean off the black brake dust etc on them that made them look crappy. so now I paint them with Black Shiney Hammerite lol...

Giles
Monday 13th September 2010, 22:54
looking good mate... although I have given up on the colourful ones.. I hated having to take bloody ages to clean off the black brake dust etc on them that made them look crappy. so now I paint them with Black Shiney Hammerite lol...

that's not a bad idea.....just hope the shinyness will help with the cleaning....

Storm-Troll
Monday 13th September 2010, 23:00
that's not a bad idea.....just hope the shinyness will help with the cleaning....

I had Red Calipers then Yellow. but the brake dust stuck to them so I either had to take off the wheels to get to it with a Sponge or clean them with toothbrush through the wheels. got fed up with it in the end just to keep them looking clean. so gave up and went with Black Hammerite. It Looks good and doesnt show the Brake Dust.. problem solved lol

Giles
Monday 13th September 2010, 23:01
I had Red Calipers then Yellow. but the brake dust stuck to them so I either had to take off the wheels to get to it with a Sponge or clean them with toothbrush through the wheels. got fed up with it in the end just to keep them looking clean. so gave up and went with Black Hammerite. It Looks good and doesnt show the Brake Dust.. problem solved lol

hmm....ok...may just watch them then and not drive lol

smithy
Tuesday 14th September 2010, 02:10
ive had red on my calipers for 1.5 years no probs at all no fading and still shining and wash clean when washing wheels.

Storm-Troll
Tuesday 14th September 2010, 03:20
I guess im just too fussy then lmao... General washing dont get all the black off and unless u have wide spoked wheels they are difficult to get to to clean with the wheels on.

scr8pdo
Tuesday 14th September 2010, 10:08
Iam thinking of going blue instead now ive seen the green in the flesh so to speak, i had yellow on my last car, the car was dark blue and they contrasted well

Happygilmore78
Tuesday 14th September 2010, 11:08
Looking good buddy :)

steve855
Tuesday 14th September 2010, 19:14
agree on the yellow calipers with dark blue LOL

scr8pdo
Wednesday 15th September 2010, 20:58
Yep dats what mine looked like, same blue (cant remember the actual name) 854 though!

Giles
Wednesday 15th September 2010, 21:13

Sorry - just seen the sticker question....not the wheels....that would be tacky lol......especially as they relate to a Honda Civic....may take the 'R' bit off the sticker and put that on the caliper...has a nice white surround so once done, will post a photo.....

The Flying Moose
Wednesday 15th September 2010, 21:27
Iam thinking of going blue instead now ive seen the green in the flesh so to speak, i had yellow on my last car, the car was dark blue and they contrasted well

scr8pdo Im thinking blue too and as your car is the same colour as mine wouldnt mind seeing how they look if you get round to doing them... I think blue would go well with grey.

scr8pdo
Wednesday 15th September 2010, 21:37
scr8pdo Im thinking blue too and as your car is the same colour as mine wouldnt mind seeing how they look if you get round to doing them... I think blue would go well with grey.

No problem, Il take a photo of the greens first, they might not look too bad yet (who am I kidding lol!) just fitted new discs yesterday, I managed to get one of the old rotten flexi hoses off and put a new braided one on, they are noramlly a real PITA, the other side the brass nut shattered after I warmed it up with a blowlamp, it actually exploded and nearly took my eye out as I had forgot I had left a line clamp on so pressure built up and POP! Kids thought it was highly amusing, big bang and cloud of hot steaming brake fluid all over daddies face lol! Dont try that at home!

Giles
Saturday 18th September 2010, 09:39
And here they are.......and I did put the sticker on the wheel after all lol

Tomcat
Saturday 18th September 2010, 12:26
Not loving the honda sticker on the wheel...

S70T5Chris
Sunday 19th September 2010, 19:51
Not loving the honda sticker on the wheel...

Bloody hell, I just fell off my chair. I agree with TC!!!! :ices_rofl

That 'Type R' sticker looks bloody awful!

gmain1967
Sunday 19th September 2010, 20:00
Nice calipers. Lose the "type R" logo though....

Giles
Sunday 19th September 2010, 21:30
I wanted the 'R' part of it but got carried away......

t5_monkey
Sunday 19th September 2010, 21:50
The Type R stick could make a maggot gag - but the calipers are awesome :)

Giles
Tuesday 21st September 2010, 13:44
OK - due to unaminious requests, 'type' part of the sticker removed......but judging on how easy it was to remove, anything over 35mph should take care of the 'R' part that's left lol........

BruceT
Tuesday 21st September 2010, 13:47
LoL... You should do what you want to your car, who cares what others think?

PS, your front nearside tyre looks a bit flat...?

S70T5Chris
Tuesday 21st September 2010, 14:23
Ditch the 'R' as well IMHO. It's still 'Honda R'! If you want an 'R' get a Volvo 'R'!

LINK (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Volvo-Brake-Caliper-Calliper-Decals-Stickers-R-S60-V70-/350393696016?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item5195177f10#ht_1634wt_802)

Giles
Tuesday 21st September 2010, 15:30
Ditch the 'R' as well IMHO. It's still 'Honda R'! If you want an 'R' get a Volvo 'R'!

LINK (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Volvo-Brake-Caliper-Calliper-Decals-Stickers-R-S60-V70-/350393696016?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item5195177f10#ht_1634wt_802)

Thanks - I spent ages (obviously not long enough) looking for these......what colour to get - i think silver?