PDA

View Full Version : The dreaded lambda light!!!!

marwen
Monday 11th July 2005, 21:37
Hey everyone, especially you wonderful people in the know about all things T5.(creeping, I have a headache that wont go away)!!
That god damn Lambda light has come on again.
My 1995 854 T5 was and still is running great but a couple of weeks ago THE LIGHT appeared on the dash, having driven for about an hour amusing myself trying to guess what this strange light might mean I decided to check the handbook. Drats!!
So the old girl was sent to be checked out.( As a matter of point, I tried looking for the self diagnostic thingymegig under the bonnet only to discover that this '95 'N' reg is OBD-11, another question that needs answering).
The garage could not find anything wrong, so they reset the light and sent me on my way, brilliant, well it was for about 3 days, then on it came again.
Back to the garage fault code Lanbda sensor control? Checked the sensors,working fine, emmissions fine, mixture fine, please someone point in the right direction!!! Thanks Mark.

k690bpp
Monday 11th July 2005, 22:20
what code did it give you???

vt5
Thursday 14th July 2005, 09:16
In my experience, mine was a faulty MAF sensor and front o2 sensor.

MAF was £60 and the O2 sensor £35 (both second hand)

Now no light and about 10mpg better fuel economy.

A fault in either of these or both will bring your light on, however also a cheaper and common cause is a split on one of your rubber elbow pipes but Wobbly Dave knows more about these.....

Have a look at some other lambda light posts on here......

Worst case scenario is probably the abov though. Luckily though it is an easy job to replace these bits though if needed. :)

I also found that someone has hacked my engine loom so i had to piece that back together also :(

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 14th July 2005, 10:44
Check the breather elbows at the left hand end of the inlet manifold - very close to the thermostat housing. bit of a git to do, but you would generally end up with a "long term fuel trim" error code - because the faulty hose will allow additional unmetered air into the system.