PDA

View Full Version : Speed sensitive steering - intermittant.

LeeT5
Thursday 9th September 2010, 23:27
Hi all. Can anyone shed some light on my current problem? My steering is very heavy when i start the car and it stays heavy. Sometimes if i restart it goes nice and light again. It should be nice and light, however, the problem is intermittant. I have spoken to the dealer who mentioned a 'speed sensitive steering control relay'. Is this a prroblem that anyone else has had? Any help would be appreciated as a new relay is over £100.
Thanks.

Liddo
Friday 10th September 2010, 08:27
Might not be of use, but mine felt "dry" the other week, so i released my PAS reservior cap to check the fluid and it let off a hiss. Ive since done it again, with the engine running and done a lock to lock a few times to purge the air in the system, and its been fine.

Give it a go ;)

uqj83l
Monday 13th September 2010, 19:44
Sounds like a faulty switch/relay. No problems of this sort myself. If it is a switch/relay it should throw a code, scan it, and see if anything comes up.....

LeeT5
Tuesday 14th September 2010, 11:50
thanks for replys guys, i have today collected a 'steering control module' or a small black relay with 'servotronic' written on it. Two Volvo technicians i spoke to both said it probably is this relay, one even described the symptoms before i told him...alas the relay cost me £85 with discount. Problem is, where the hell is it on the car??

LeeT5
Saturday 25th September 2010, 19:36
Sorted. Got the correct relay, light blue sticker but the same price. Took out my old relay...it was knackered. Dented at the end and part of it was broken. Replaced with new one and all is well. Steering works fine all day every day.

If anyone else has intermittant loss of 'speed sensitive steering' then look under the drivers footwell and remove lower dash panel. Above the pedals you will see a relay marked 'servotronic'. Replace this and your problem will be sorted.