PDA

View Full Version : fitted rad problems

the-man-that-can
Thursday 9th September 2010, 15:35
hi all i managed to get a rad for my car after a long time lol. anyhow just fitted the rad and used new bolts where required and all is fitted pefectly :D and it seems i may have an airlock? whats happening is header tank goes low on water sumtimes then as i start the car and the car heats up the lil over flow on the header tank fills the header tank back up (is that normal as thought header tanks stay same level all the time) also temp aint gettin above half no matter how long i let her idle for lol bizzare and so the fan aint kicking in and i dont want to take her for a drive till i know she is all mint and fan is kicking in. on most cars i know u have to bleed them and there for they have bleed nipples on the rad hoses tho on the t5r there is no bleed nipples lol ummm can someone please help me THANKS (andi)

ps maybe me rad isnt fully filled up with water? and as i say i think i have an airlock how can i be sure and how can i stop this?

Al115
Thursday 9th September 2010, 15:44
Try squeezing the top and bottom rad hoses while the car is running to encourage the water around. That's how I've cleared airlocks in the past, anyway.

Header tank level varies with temp.

If you leave her running with the bonnet closed, after 10 mins, the fans don't start up? Weird.

Volvostorm
Thursday 9th September 2010, 15:56
also put your heater on hot, run and squeeze the pipes as said and run it with the cap off.

Once there's warm air through the heater, and the level is settled, cap back on, should be ok, you will need to check it over a couple of days to make sure everythings ok.

the-man-that-can
Thursday 9th September 2010, 16:26
:D YAY thanks alot guys done all u said and now fan is kicking in hehehe oh gosh i get worried easy hehehehe really love the car and all i want is her to run nice and sweet hehehehe. header tanks on the lowest/minium level at the moment tho dont want to top it up to max just incase it decides to fill itself back up. il taker her for a steady drive and moniter her and see if she needs more coolant and keep checking and monitering untill the level has settled HUGE THANKS AGAIN GUYS my INTERCEPTOR lives again hehehehehe :D

Al115
Thursday 9th September 2010, 16:43
Header tank - check level and top it up when the engine is COLD... stone cold... ie after sitting overnight.

Glad it's sorted :)

the-man-that-can
Thursday 9th September 2010, 17:22
yes will do Al115 THANKS again to you and thanks also to Pault5estate :)