PDA

View Full Version : Weird sound help please

Happygilmore78
Thursday 9th September 2010, 12:30
Am getting a click/creak sound while changing direction, normally shimmying on the driveway, or parking i can hear it going from reverse to forward and vice versa and sounds like front right wheel. Could this be caliper or pad related? and there is also a sound coming from wheel while braking.

Only way i can describe it in text form on a forum is a kind of sssh sssh sssh sssh sssh sssh while braking, and not one constant ssssssssssssshh if you get me?

Lastly, since all this noise started - maybe coincidense? i sometimes get a whirring sound around 45+ mph, getting drown out by road noise after that on motorways etc.

Cant be the bearing as i have just had that replaced, but is concerning.

Liddo
Friday 10th September 2010, 11:34
Does the C70 have drive shaft bolts??? Remove the centre caps from your front wheels, and see if there's a bolt head. If there is, 14mm i think, check to see its not loose. Very common on the S60's, but of the 3 C70's i owned, i never noticed a problem. IF there is one, DONT over tighten it, cos they snap :(

It could also be,

1, A sticky caliper??

2, Drop link

3, Top Mount

4, C.V joint???

5, Wheel Bearing??

Think you need another pair of ears to listen to it ;)

mightywolf
Saturday 11th September 2010, 12:05
the click/creak sound like possibly the cv joint. the sshh noise could be a disc. If its uneven it might be touching the pad on and off as it rotates. easy to check though. whip your car in the air and spin the wheel!

Happygilmore78
Tuesday 14th September 2010, 11:24
Had a mobile mechanic mate round at the weekend, we stripped the wheel it was coming from, cleaned, copperslipped and put back together after he checked all the mounts etc for wear and tear - there was none :( Then went round the car doing the same, still no sign of wear except for back, where the handbrake shoes had the lining off, and that was lose in the disc. No sounds from wheels when jacked up though on any.

Took it out and it is still there, but at least i know its nothing that will kill me. Only things he didnt check as it was hammering it down was the CV joints, and maybe drop links??

Might replace calipers, as i dont trust that front one after sticking last time on the motorway anymore, which could be on its way out now?? not sure if it would give those symtoms though

Thanks for replies

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 14th September 2010, 12:06
Could your handbrake shoes be catching inside the rear drums?

Happygilmore78
Tuesday 14th September 2010, 14:37
Replaced one side on Saturday, but not the other. You know what they say, that sound travels and all that, but my mate said the whirring sounded like the back to him, whilst the others he agreed with me on the front driver.

Very weird, i think it will need another looking at.

On the plus Dave, finally got hold of a set of switches for my seats, so hooked up and drivers was lovely yesterday morning, warming mee cockles up, glad i changed it now - just need to find the end of the passenger seat, you had any luck with yours? do you reckin its there, just behind the carpet? i am hoping it is

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 14th September 2010, 16:06
Yeah both are working fine once I replaced fuse #14 (IIRC)

Happygilmore78
Tuesday 14th September 2010, 16:34
Did you find the passenger end then? where was it hiding? I can not see mine :(

I havent had to change any fuses though, mine heated up lovely - wonder why then?