PDA

View Full Version : Scan tool suprise !

nobananas
Tuesday 7th September 2010, 21:31
As we all know 850's say OBD II on the box but they ain't OBD II in the box. We have a Launch X431 at work and have had for some years. First thing I did when we got it was scan my 850 but you've guessed it it wasn't compatible and didn't even appear on the Volvo application list. I had a customers 850 T5 in today to diagnose a cutting out problem (that never happened whilst I had it !) and as a last resort put the Launch on it as we had a software update for it recently (but I didn't hold out much hope). I couldn't believe it, 850 appeared on the list !. Then I thought 'I bet it just tells you how to access flash codes with an LED' but no, click on 'how to read fault codes' and it read them ! (or rather it told me there wasn't any !). In disbelief I unplugged the cam sensor with the engine running, re-connected it and re-scanned , up came cam sensor so it was obviously working ! Not only that I could get full live readings and codes on everything, engine management, abs, airbags, immobilizer even the dashboard !. This may be more exciting for me then for everyone else but I felt I had to share as it means that at least one of the cars I own can now be read by a scan tool.

The Flying Moose
Tuesday 7th September 2010, 22:17
I wish mine worked... cant remember the brand but it was rather expensive, it works on everthing except VAG and the 850! Typical.

Well done mate :)

Flatout Phil
Tuesday 7th September 2010, 22:28
I know the feeling :(

fireclown
Tuesday 7th September 2010, 22:35
i have an autoboss v30. i think they run similar software to the x431. i think the x431 is linux based and mine is windows based. although i am not entirely sure. it read everything on the volvos. including the later 850's. although it will not reset the service light. which is a pita, all in all i am very pleased with it a good bit of kit for not too much money.

nobananas
Tuesday 7th September 2010, 22:38
i have an autoboss v30. i think they run similar software to the x431. i think the x431 is linux based and mine is windows based. although i am not entirely sure. it read everything on the volvos. including the later 850's. although it will not reset the service light. which is a pita, all in all i am very pleased with it a good bit of kit for not too much money.

How much did you pay for the V30 if you don't mind me asking. I know our kit was a couple of grand (although it was a few years ago) and then we have to pay a yearly sum for the updates.

fireclown
Tuesday 7th September 2010, 23:00
i got mine for £1600 with 3 years free updates. i think if you shop about you can still pick them up for about that. updates have been regular and work well. i was unsure when i first bought it as it was a relatively new bit of kit. but all in all i am quite happy with it. it does not do everything on every vehicle. but then none do. But for the money it is a very good bit of kit.

nobananas
Tuesday 7th September 2010, 23:10
i got mine for £1600 with 3 years free updates. i think if you shop about you can still pick them up for about that. updates have been regular and work well. i was unsure when i first bought it as it was a relatively new bit of kit. but all in all i am quite happy with it. it does not do everything on every vehicle. but then none do. But for the money it is a very good bit of kit.

We got ours when Launch first came out. The updates were next to useless to begin with, they only worked off the Chinese server rather then the europe one. Then half the updates wouldn't work with the software version we had and the software had to be updated (with no instruction from Launch we had to chase the rep to finally find the problem). In the end we didn't update for a year or so because the updates were making the system unstable then the company we bought it from disappeared but luckily Launch picked up our contract and sorted it all out. I think they must have had a few teething problems to begin with thankfully sorted now, even the English used seems better !

850t5
Thursday 9th September 2010, 01:48
I know the feeling :(

I feeling your pain. The vpcuk code reader didn't work on mine either :( Bloody system link error....

fireclown
Thursday 9th September 2010, 09:11
Well if anyone is in nth Lincolnshire and needs plugging in. just pm me.

woz
Monday 13th September 2010, 14:56
This all sounds like rather good news. Is there any way of getting the data out into a laptop whilst on the move?? (or R-R) Even a logger for download after a run would be interesting.

Cheers

WAF

fireclown
Monday 13th September 2010, 15:18
not sure about the later 850's as they are not fully obd compliant, but you can get loggers for later modles.

woz
Wednesday 15th September 2010, 13:21
Yes - its a 96 850 with which I am blessed. I know not OBDII compliant but someone must have made something for them when they were used in racing etc. Surely??
W:>)

LeeT5
Wednesday 15th September 2010, 13:32

you can get a service reset tool from Euro car parts for about £70. They work well cos i had one and they reset the airbag light too. worked on my '96 850 T5. Just my ten pence worth.

t5 stealth
Wednesday 15th September 2010, 22:34
we use a bosch system .....it reads most things on most cars,
does read my 96 850 but not everything....but most of it.