PDA

View Full Version : Next Tuning Question

gmain1967
Tuesday 7th September 2010, 20:57
OK, following on from my recirc valve question, and following the route I took with a homebrew exhaust on the T4, what can I do with the T5 to improve performance, and get a better exhaust note?

Presume I could just do the same as with the T4, and fit a race cat, whilst removing a box from the system? Anyone fitted a universal performance rear box?

As before, I ain't got a lot of money to throw at this right now, so not interested in paying £300 plus for a cat back system, or more for a turbo back system....

Cheers

LiamT4
Tuesday 7th September 2010, 21:05
I was thinking of removing 1 of the silencers on my s70r, but 1 is small and 1 is huge! If i remove the small 1 will it make any difference (noise not power)? If i remove the large 1, i'd imagine that it would be VERY loud.

bubba_1986
Tuesday 7th September 2010, 22:05
in c70 it only has a " suitcase " silencer in middle. Been temped for years to remove but as mentioned the noise off these beasts is unreal

t5_monkey
Tuesday 7th September 2010, 22:12
I had the 'suitcase' silencer in the middle removed on mine - made an epic difference and only cost £70... Free if you can weld! do it :)

The Flying Moose
Tuesday 7th September 2010, 22:45
Mine only has the "suitcase" in the middle no other silencers whatsoever. Are they supposed to have two silencers?

p fandango
Wednesday 8th September 2010, 03:12
Mine only has the "suitcase" in the middle no other silencers whatsoever. Are they supposed to have two silencers?
some people class/confuse the cat as a silencer

The Flying Moose
Wednesday 8th September 2010, 12:50

That would explain it! cheers pedro. Thought mine had a section missing for a brief moment.

LiamT4
Wednesday 8th September 2010, 17:13

I was talking about the back box.

p fandango
Wednesday 8th September 2010, 17:32
I was talking about the back box.
not sure if the S70 is any different, but on the 850's all you've got in the exhaust is the catayltic convertor on the downpipe & a big suitcase size backbox under the rear seat

gmain1967
Wednesday 8th September 2010, 19:28
not sure if the S70 is any different, but on the 850's all you've got in the exhaust is the catayltic convertor on the downpipe & a big suitcase size backbox under the rear seat

Nope, unless I'm missing something, then mine is the same - did think it odd that there was in effect no rear box...

What can the "suitcase" be replaced with, that will allow the 5 cylinder sound, but not be OTT loud? Anyone done a home mod?

Cheers

p fandango
Wednesday 8th September 2010, 20:13
What can the "suitcase" be replaced with, that will allow the 5 cylinder sound, but not be OTT loud? Anyone done a home mod?
Powerflow put one of there universal silencers in the same place as the suitcase when they made my system up. The video's below were with a single medium/large silencer & a decat, they remade the system in stainless using 2.5" but followed the factory route till after the rear beam where it split into the twin pipes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cc7IKgFDcvs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXMAak4HQ0Q

LiamT4
Wednesday 8th September 2010, 21:57

My s70r definatly has some sort of back box, behind the rear wheel, which the tailpipes come from.

johny the monkey
Monday 20th September 2010, 20:49
i have a phase 1 v70 t5 and it looks like it had a back box as standard but, the last owner looks to have removed it (and might say done a good job) by the way the pipe is welded. Its sounds as norm on tick over but on boost becomes quite alot louder but not too much.. am thinking of getting that big box removed too... I have a local powerflow fitting centre near to me, thinking of going that route. have seen a few people having powerflow fitted. so they must rated??????

p fandango
Monday 20th September 2010, 20:51
i have a phase 1 v70 t5 and it looks like it had a back box as standard but, the last owner looks to have removed it (and might say done a good job) by the way the pipe is welded. Its sounds as norm on tick over but on boost becomes quite alot louder but not too much.. am thinking of getting that big box removed too... I have a local powerflow fitting centre near to me, thinking of going that route. have seen a few people having powerflow fitted. so they must rated??????
my video's above are with a Powerflow system. Decat with medium/large single silencer. I rate Powerflow very highly, there always prepared to have a go at making anything that i've needed, even if they don't actually know what its for they just follow my instructions lol. The quality of work does vary between branches so i'd see some of there own work before spending any pennies

LiamT4
Monday 20th September 2010, 20:54
Seems that a few people have different opinions on them, they seem to vary a bit from area to area.

T5frankie
Monday 20th September 2010, 21:25
fit reverse intercooler pipes to make it roar

gmain1967
Monday 20th September 2010, 22:23
I'm speaking with Simon - owner of Simons Exhausts at East Kilbride. Were recommended to me by a couple of folks when I was thinking about what to do with the old banana.

He seems to know his stuff and has done a few custom builds for 850 T5's, and reckons somewhere between £250 and £300 for a system (excluding cat at present), which seems not to bad to me (price will vary depending on tip style/size)

As for a RIP setup, that can wait for the time being (if ever lol!) And depending on how things go in the next week, I may not even have a need for the S70 anymore.... All change!

Cheers

p fandango
Tuesday 21st September 2010, 05:26
I'm speaking with Simon - owner of Simons Exhausts at East Kilbride. Were recommended to me by a couple of folks when I was thinking about what to do with the old banana.

He seems to know his stuff and has done a few custom builds for 850 T5's, and reckons somewhere between £250 and £300 for a system (excluding cat at present), which seems not to bad to me (price will vary depending on tip style/size)
about the same price Powerflow charged me, but that was because i knew the lad who does the exhausts. He almost lost his job when the boss found out how much he'd quoted/charged me tho lol, i'd defo get a written quote & snap there hand off if they'll do it at that price

red_hot_volvo
Sunday 17th October 2010, 23:10
I bought and fitted a Ferrita 2.5" catback from Kalmar and I'm very pleased with it, not too loud, just a nice deep tone, found that it's improved the response from low down as well, it seems a little more eager before spool up than before, so next up for me is a BSR remap and all in all my C70 should be the sophisticated hot hatch eater I wanted!

t5_monkey
Monday 18th October 2010, 00:00
I bought and fitted a Ferrita 2.5" catback from Kalmar and I'm very pleased with it, not too loud, just a nice deep tone, found that it's improved the response from low down as well, it seems a little more eager before spool up than before, so next up for me is a BSR remap and all in all my C70 should be the sophisticated hot hatch eater I wanted!

I've got a BSR remap... you're better off with Rica or MTE due to the odd throttle settings BSR insist on putting onto their maps! (i.e. too sensitive - initially fun but make making quick progress and proper fast driving tricky.)

gmain1967
Monday 18th October 2010, 06:19

If you don't mind me asking, how much did that cost you? I've looked into the Ferrita exhausts, and they do look/sound good and get good press, but they are just too expensive IMO. Looked at it for the T4 and it would have cost more than I paid for the car which to me, cannot be justified....!

If I don't go the custom route above, going to do similar to what was done on the T4 but replace the "suitcase" with something more suitable, and 3" pipework through, probably to a 4-5" exit.

Few things on the go just now and only a big enough money pot to do a little at a time...

p fandango
Monday 18th October 2010, 14:24
If you don't mind me asking, how much did that cost you? I've looked into the Ferrita exhausts, and they do look/sound good and get good press, but they are just too expensive IMO.
Hamish was the cheapest for Ferrita when i was after one, as you say tho there not cheap

red_hot_volvo
Sunday 31st October 2010, 16:43
I had considered the RICA one as they now do a handheld for remapping at home, but they don't seem to yield as much torque out of the T5 as BSR can, and Torque of course is what it's all about! Thanks for the heads up though, the throttle is a bit touchy feely as it is!

red_hot_volvo
Sunday 31st October 2010, 16:45
If you don't mind me asking, how much did that cost you? I've looked into the Ferrita exhausts, and they do look/sound good and get good press, but they are just too expensive IMO. Looked at it for the T4 and it would have cost more than I paid for the car which to me, cannot be justified....!

If I don't go the custom route above, going to do similar to what was done on the T4 but replace the "suitcase" with something more suitable, and 3" pipework through, probably to a 4-5" exit.

Few things on the go just now and only a big enough money pot to do a little at a time...

I got mine from Don at Kalmar Union, it was £325 delivered to the door by TNT, came shrink wrapped to a cardboard crate which I thought was a nice touch.