PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know where to get foam to go round cd changers PS2's Etc?

Bison
Monday 11th July 2005, 19:50
I have a 6 disc changer screwed into my glovebox, problem is my car is lowered and the slightest bump in our roads causes the cd to jump.
I need some foam, or something to put the cd changer into and sit it in the dash?

Any Ideas

Bison

gibbo
Monday 11th July 2005, 20:40
I had a simialar problem with a 10 disk changer.
I ended up using sticky backed foam from a local bodgit store.

I know of guy who swears by the noise deadening stuff you stick in door. I think it is called Dynamat, or maybe try something like this:

http://amo-products.co.uk/Sound%20deadening.htm

Gibbo

farmermo
Monday 11th July 2005, 22:48
are you sure you have the shock absorbers set in the correct position?
mine's in the boot and jumped at the first sign of any bump until I changed it.

M44K TS
Tuesday 12th July 2005, 09:33
my changer is in the glovebox and i haven't had any probs with it (mine isn't lowered though) i don't think dynamat would be any good, maybe thick sponge or rubber pads to absorb the shock. B&Q should have something like that

stuAWD
Tuesday 12th July 2005, 11:43
If you not worried how it looks, try some of the yellow car washing sponges.
On second thoughts could you be happy knowing whats in your glove box.

mulletboy2
Tuesday 12th July 2005, 11:57
The foam will be useless if the changer is screwed down, unless you fancy decoupling where it's screwed down too (not an easy task).

Does the changer have a dial on the case anywhere, to set which way it's mounted? Many aftermarket ones come with these, so you can set it to "horizontal mounting", "vertical mounting", and sometimes various angles inbetween. If this is set wrong, then correcting it will help atleast somewhat, if not completely.

[edit] dynamat won't help either.. great product, wrong application.

HTH

Mark

S40 T4
Tuesday 12th July 2005, 13:02
This may sound a bit daft, but Sorbothane inserts for shoes are very good. A heel pad between each mounting and bracket does wonders.

bit pricey for shoe inserts, but very good shook absorbers. Some dj's have them under record players to stop skipping.

gibbo
Tuesday 12th July 2005, 15:35
The foam will be useless if the changer is screwed down, unless you fancy decoupling where it's screwed down too (not an easy task).

Does the changer have a dial on the case anywhere, to set which way it's mounted? Many aftermarket ones come with these, so you can set it to "horizontal mounting", "vertical mounting", and sometimes various angles inbetween. If this is set wrong, then correcting it will help atleast somewhat, if not completely.

[edit] dynamat won't help either.. great product, wrong application.

HTH

Mark

Yeah you would think that it was the wrong application however the guy had the problem on a customer car he simply laid 3 or 4 layers of the deadening stuff underneath the carpet replaced the carpet & strapped the player down using velcro (is that the correct spelling?). Took the car down the road no cd jumping anymore. I would imagine he just used it as a 'sponge effect' as this is effectively what it did, but it solved the problem.

Gibbo

mulletboy2
Tuesday 12th July 2005, 15:50
Yeah you would think that it was the wrong application however the guy had the problem on a customer car he simply laid 3 or 4 layers of the deadening stuff underneath the carpet replaced the carpet & strapped the player down using velcro (is that the correct spelling?). Took the car down the road no cd jumping anymore. I would imagine he just used it as a 'sponge effect' as this is effectively what it did, but it solved the problem.

Gibbo
Sorry mate, ask anyone who knows their stuff whether fixing a CD player ontop of some dynamat will reduce the vibrations significantly, and they'll tell you "no".

I've worked with dynamat countless times, and none of those times has it had any spongey effect to it. It's a bitumen based product, with a layer of aluminium foil ontop. It'll "give" to a certain extent, but doesn't have any elastic properties (won't return to its' original form). Neither bitument nor fixed aluminium sheets have any spongey effects.

He did something else that fixed the problem, or lucked out.. he might aswell have laid a wooden block under the player - it would have done the same thing as the dynamat.

[edit] Just re-read your post... it'll be the velcro'ing of the player to the carpet that did the trick.. carpet has some give in it. :)

Cheers

Mark

gibbo
Tuesday 12th July 2005, 16:51
Sorry mate, ask anyone who knows their stuff whether fixing a CD player ontop of some dynamat will reduce the vibrations significantly, and they'll tell you "no".

I've worked with dynamat countless times, and none of those times has it had any spongey effect to it. It's a bitumen based product, with a layer of aluminium foil ontop. It'll "give" to a certain extent, but doesn't have any elastic properties (won't return to its' original form). Neither bitument nor fixed aluminium sheets have any spongey effects.

He did something else that fixed the problem, or lucked out.. he might aswell have laid a wooden block under the player - it would have done the same thing as the dynamat.

[edit] Just re-read your post... it'll be the velcro'ing of the player to the carpet that did the trick.. carpet has some give in it. :)

Cheers

Mark

God knows what he did it for then? Maybe it was the velcro effect.

The guy in question was, & maybe still is a leading bod on the sound off & ICE seen. Between himself & his partner they have won literally hundreds of awards.
If my memory serves me correctly they created a new class for him & certain other cars at sound off's etc.
I have also worked with sound deadening equipment many times so i understand how they work.
All i know mate is that he stuck this stuff to the floor, carpet on top strapped it down. Job done.
I can only think that he may have been doing something else on the car at the same time?

Gibbo

mulletboy2
Tuesday 12th July 2005, 17:20
Unfortunately, just because he's won awards, doesn't mean that he knows the best way to apply sound deadening, or when which product is more useful than another. There are a hell of a lot of people out there who dynamat over the floors/transmission tunnels, when other products would be cheaper and more appropriate (products which he may well not stock).

If the dynamat was put under the CD changer to stop vibrations, they might aswell have not bothered.. if it was put there to reduce road noise, it would have worked to a certain extent, but at an unnecessary cost. Products such as VComp from B-Quiet (http://www.b-quiet.com/vcomp.html) are more appropriate for floors... and as the writeup says, should be used in combination with other deadeners (such as dynamat). That will give the best noise reduction through floors/firewells/doors.

There are a lot of misconceptions about dynamat/other deadeners out there... Thankfully Matt from Nearfield Audio did a great writeup on when to use which types of deadeners: http://www.talkaudio.co.uk/vbb/showthread.php?t=58457

You may already know all of it, but someone who reads the thread later may benefit :)

Cheers

Mark

gibbo
Tuesday 12th July 2005, 22:59
Unfortunately, just because he's won awards, doesn't mean that he knows the best way to apply sound deadening, or when which product is more useful than another. There are a hell of a lot of people out there who dynamat over the floors/transmission tunnels, when other products would be cheaper and more appropriate (products which he may well not stock).

If the dynamat was put under the CD changer to stop vibrations, they might aswell have not bothered.. if it was put there to reduce road noise, it would have worked to a certain extent, but at an unnecessary cost. Products such as VComp from B-Quiet (http://www.b-quiet.com/vcomp.html) are more appropriate for floors... and as the writeup says, should be used in combination with other deadeners (such as dynamat). That will give the best noise reduction through floors/firewells/doors.

There are a lot of misconceptions about dynamat/other deadeners out there... Thankfully Matt from Nearfield Audio did a great writeup on when to use which types of deadeners: http://www.talkaudio.co.uk/vbb/showthread.php?t=58457

You may already know all of it, but someone who reads the thread later may benefit :)

Cheers

Mark

Mate i didn't say or even mean to imply that because this guy had won awards he knew the best way to do anything. As i have said maybe he put it there for another reason??????????????
I think we have agreed it was probably the velcro thing that solved the problem.
If you re-read my first reply i said i used sticky foam and I THOUGHT the product he used was dynamat. I MAY WELL HAVE BEEN WRONG.
I agree as you have said "it would be a pointless exercise if you used the foam & then screwed it down".
BTW the thread that MATT wrote was a excellent write up. Had to laugh at the replies to his thread.

Gibbo

Bison
Tuesday 12th July 2005, 23:11
are you sure you have the shock absorbers set in the correct position?

The setting on the side of my Alipne changer is in the correct position! This has made no difference as my car has very hard suspension!

Mullet boy and Gibbo, Interesting reading but slightly off topic! I actually need to know where to get the foam stuff that is used to surround playstations and cd changers ion gloveboxes.

The CD changer surrounded by foam will no longer be screwed down just to clarify!

Bison

mulletboy2
Tuesday 12th July 2005, 23:29
Sorry mate :D

Any foam will do.. you don't want it for sound dampening, you want it for vibration absorption... bubble wrap might work, any foam from these suppliers would work: http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=foam&meta= , and in all seriousness, the best method would be to stretch tights or other similar materials around the changer, and stretch it sidewards until it's fairly taught, and then fasten the material to the sides of the glovebox, ensuring that the changer can move a certain amount (more than any foam would allow) in every direction... the best form of suspension available. All you need to do is get how tight to stretch it right. Although it would look pretty ghey :D

farmermo
Wednesday 13th July 2005, 07:18
have you tried changing the settings on the side of the unit, I've got mine set the opposite way to what the manual recommends to get the best results.

Bison
Wednesday 13th July 2005, 10:04
I think this is the stuff I'm looking for!

http://www.bandmlatexupholstery.co.uk/trolleyed/html_templates/latex/images/b6.jpg

Bison

Martinr
Wednesday 13th July 2005, 10:38
Hey Bison

Not related to the foam question but if your changer is in your glovebox have you modified the latch mechanism?

If not do it soon as it will fail eventually and you will be locked out of the glove box!!.

There are plenty of threads relating to this as it is a common fault on 850's