PDA

View Full Version : S70 T5 Recirc Valve

gmain1967
Tuesday 7th September 2010, 19:17
A question regarding the above. I am (rightly or wrongly), going to be fitting a dumpvalve to the above.

I am loathe to fork out the near on £200 for a Forge kit, and am looking to do it in two stages. I was planning on firstly removing the recirc valve and blanking that off with the correct Forge blanking plate, then secondly, fitting a dumpvalve (probably secondhand). There may be a week or two between those operations, due to funds...

Am I correct in thinking that running with no valve for a period, will be OK, given that the T5 does not run high boost?

Cheers

claymore
Tuesday 7th September 2010, 19:19
I'v been running my car with a blanking plate for nearly a year now with 17psi boost

gmain1967
Tuesday 7th September 2010, 19:21
I'v been running my car with a blanking plate for nearly a year now with 17psi boost

That'll be a "yes" then!!!

Cheers

brett craig
Tuesday 7th September 2010, 19:23
same as above, been runnng mine with just the blank for 3 months now with no issues

claymore
Tuesday 7th September 2010, 19:25
Although, you should be warned, the sound is very adictive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuw0AjJWsUM&feature=channel

bubba_1986
Tuesday 7th September 2010, 19:28
Thought this would be bad for turbo as it is not letting hot gasses escape. ????

Or am I talking mince

t5_monkey
Tuesday 7th September 2010, 20:04
Thought this would be bad for turbo as it is not letting hot gasses escape. ????

Or am I talking mince

Long term it'll damage the bearings in your turbo by causing lateral road and oscillation when the turbine stalls.

In the short-mid term until you get a fix shouldn't be an issue.

you may notice more lag between shifts with a blanking plate although the lads with one on would be better placed to comment with that one.

p fandango
Tuesday 7th September 2010, 20:19
Long term it'll damage the bearings in your turbo by causing lateral road and oscillation when the turbine stalls.

In the short-mid term until you get a fix shouldn't be an issue.

you may notice more lag between shifts with a blanking plate although the lads with one on would be better placed to comment with that one.
i drove BT for about a year with the recirc removed & no issues before she was took off the road for stripping, with the low boost we're running i can't see it being a problem

it still spools faster with the 19T now than it ever did with the 15g :partysmil

gmain1967
Tuesday 7th September 2010, 20:24
i drove BT for about a year with the recirc removed & no issues before she was took off the road for stripping, with the low boost we're running i can't see it being a problem

it still spools faster with the 19T now than it ever did with the 15g :partysmil

I was hoping on a reply from you pedro!!!

My reasoning behind doing what I am doing is firstly due to financial constraints but also, to see what it's like without a valve of any sort. I may like it and just leave it be (certainly different!!)

Cheers

p fandango
Tuesday 7th September 2010, 20:28
I was hoping on a reply from you pedro!!!
:shockedbi I'M SCARED lol

My reasoning behind doing what I am doing is firstly due to financial constraints but also, to see what it's like without a valve of any sort. I may like it and just leave it be (certainly different!!)
just for you, & because i love these videos lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmNucK8712M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzP7wk0elSE

jason850t5
Tuesday 7th September 2010, 22:24
what do you do with the vacuum pipe that comes out of the recirc valve. might try this myself as i have a blanking plate on it.

simpT5
Tuesday 7th September 2010, 22:59
I too have been running my '99 ME7 T5 for about a year now with no dump or recirc valve with no problems at all.

I cheated and left the recirc valve in place and used a one way valve in the vac pipe between the inlet manifold and the recirc valve.

Total cost about £3 and 10 minutes of your time!

Whilst I appreciate that im hardly doing the turbo any favours by stalling it all the time, the sound that's produced when it does is awsome!

gmain1967
Wednesday 8th September 2010, 19:26
what do you do with the vacuum pipe that comes out of the recirc valve. might try this myself as i have a blanking plate on it.

That is my question jason. I've got a blanking plate ordered now so I'm going to remove the recirc valve entirely. What do you do with the line that comes off the inlet manifold (normally I would connect that to a dumpvalve, but there won't be one (at present!!!)?

Cheers

claymore
Wednesday 8th September 2010, 19:30
Just block it off, you could just shove a tight fitting bolt into the pipe.

gmain1967
Wednesday 8th September 2010, 19:56
Thought you might say that - lol!!

To pre-empt a question later, what is the I/D of the hoses for the BCS, and the recirc valve? And will silicone hose be fine to replace the original rubber ones with, which are cracking slightly? I used a silicone hose for the vacuum line on the dumpvalve on my old T4, but had to change it, as it kept splitting due to the angle of the takeoff from the manifold...

Cheers

claymore
Wednesday 8th September 2010, 20:00
silicone will be fine, but fuel line is cheaper and better, not sure on the diameter, either 5 or 6 mm I think

gmain1967
Thursday 9th September 2010, 19:43
Right.

Cut the hose from the recirc valve to the inlet manifold, and fitted non return valve to both ends (only one's I could get, they only have inlet for one pipe, not like a connector...)

Anyhow, car runs fine, no warning lights, but only a very very faint noise from what I presume is the turbo itself. This to me, confirms my suspicion that the car is not making or holding much boost.

I have a Forge blanking plate on order, so will see what happens when the recirc valve is removed completely, but I still have my doubts... Anyone any comments/thoughts?

Cheers

p fandango
Thursday 9th September 2010, 19:48
Right.

Cut the hose from the recirc valve to the inlet manifold, and fitted non return valve to both ends (only one's I could get, they only have inlet for one pipe, not like a connector...)

Anyhow, car runs fine, no warning lights, but only a very very faint noise from what I presume is the turbo itself. This to me, confirms my suspicion that the car is not making or holding much boost.

I have a Forge blanking plate on order, so will see what happens when the recirc valve is removed completely, but I still have my doubts... Anyone any comments/thoughts?
i think those non-return valves you've got are no good mate, the recirc valve needs pressure in that air line to keep the valve closed when the turbo comes on boost. If the non-returns you've got are only single connection then i assume its simply working as a bung so no pressure in the system

gmain1967
Thursday 9th September 2010, 20:04
i think those non-return valves you've got are no good mate, the recirc valve needs pressure in that air line to keep the valve closed when the turbo comes on boost. If the non-returns you've got are only single connection then i assume its simply working as a bung so no pressure in the system

Had a feeling you were going to say that.... I had an inline non return valve which was identical externally to a plastic hose connector joint, but can't find any in local motor factor or halfrauds.... Any suggestions?

Cheers

p fandango
Thursday 9th September 2010, 20:27
Had a feeling you were going to say that.... I had an inline non return valve which was identical externally to a plastic hose connector joint, but can't find any in local motor factor or halfrauds.... Any suggestions?
the type you describe is the one your after, its not easy for me to say but i think your better off being patient & waiting for the blanking plate to turn up

gmain1967
Friday 10th September 2010, 21:48
As above. Forge blanking plate received today, so that should be going on this weekend. Cue lots of swearing, skinned knuckles and dropped 10mm bolts. Better be worth the grief!!!

Cheers