PDA

View Full Version : creaking noise - steering

Libra
Tuesday 7th September 2010, 12:39
Of late when I am manoeuvring and turning the steering wheel I can hear a what can only be described as a creaking noise at only this time. What could it be.

v70torslanda
Tuesday 7th September 2010, 12:44
Arthritis?

:)

Liddo
Tuesday 7th September 2010, 12:48
WEIRDLY! Last week, my S60 felt "dry" when i moved the steering wheel. No creaking as such, just a dry feeling when moving the wheel. When i stopped, i released the power steering res, and it let off a hiss, so im guessing ive got a bit of air in there. After i did this, its been ok, but its started to creap back, so Im going to keep the car running with the cap off and give it some lock to lock to ease it off.

If yours isnt the same, it could be top mounts or bottom ball joints???

Cubes
Tuesday 7th September 2010, 13:49
Is it every time you turn the wheel, or just at/near full lock? If it's the latter I would check your stearing stops first. They're just behind the track rod and are a small pad (mine are blue). Turn your wheel to full lock to get to them. They'll just need greasing up with copperslip of something similar. Mine need doing every 2/3 months.

Liddo
Tuesday 7th September 2010, 14:57
Is it every time you turn the wheel, or just at/near full lock? If it's the latter I would check your stearing stops first. They're just behind the track rod and are a small pad (mine are blue). Turn your wheel to full lock to get to them. They'll just need greasing up with copperslip of something similar. Mine need doing every 2/3 months.

Yip, thick white grease on your lock stops if its only on full lock ;) They'll probably be yellow plastic looking pads on the back of your wishbones

Libra
Tuesday 7th September 2010, 19:43
The noise is apparent at any steering angle in either direction.

richiemat
Tuesday 7th September 2010, 19:58
The noise is apparent at any steering angle in either direction.

mine was the same last year, the top mounts had failed on mine.

mds
Wednesday 8th September 2010, 11:00
Obvious, but have you checked the Power steering fluid level? Low fluid will cause a sound like creaking, common fault is at the hose clip at the bottom of the reservoir. I only use Volvo fluid to top up to avoid any internal seal problems.

Liddo
Wednesday 8th September 2010, 11:05
mine was the same last year, the top mounts had failed on mine.

Easy job to replace??? How much??? :D

v70torslanda
Wednesday 8th September 2010, 11:16

Spring compressors reqd.

Leave them till you change your wishbones, it will save you having to dismantle everything twice. ;)

luv'n'stuff

John

Libra
Wednesday 8th September 2010, 12:31
Obvious, but have you checked the Power steering fluid level? Low fluid will cause a sound like creaking, common fault is at the hose clip at the bottom of the reservoir. I only use Volvo fluid to top up to avoid any internal seal problems.

I have had the power steering reservoir changed last year under warranty.

Also I would like to add that the noise is only appant at slow parking speeds.

richiemat
Wednesday 8th September 2010, 12:54

I didnt do it :D I also had wishbones and shocks at the same time £££££

Spring compressors reqd.

Leave them till you change your wishbones, it will save you having to dismantle everything twice. ;)

luv'n'stuff

John

Wise words

I have had the power steering reservoir changed last year under warranty.

Also I would like to add that the noise is only appant at slow parking speeds.

My resevoir has been changed twice now as they were leaking which i think is a common fault. I thought the creaking on mine was maybe a steering rack issue but it was the top mounts (i understand there are 2 on each side) one rubber mount and one bearing race and it was the rubber one that had failed.

Good luck in identigying the problem Darren.

Libra
Wednesday 8th September 2010, 18:09
An noise update. I have come home and got my dad to listen to the noise which is more of a creaking click noise ONLY when turning the steering wheel to the right from lock to lock. It does not creak going the other way.

maceastern
Thursday 9th September 2010, 09:55
leave the car in neutral rev your engine to 3000 rpm hold it there and turn your wheel full lock to full lock if noise goes its a fluid pressure problem if it doesnt its the top mounts hope this helps mac

Libra
Thursday 9th September 2010, 12:25
leave the car in neutral rev your engine to 3000 rpm hold it there and turn your wheel full lock to full lock if noise goes its a fluid pressure problem if it doesnt its the top mounts hope this helps mac

I will try that when I get home tonight. Thanks

Liddo
Friday 10th September 2010, 08:28

I did this the other day, and it seems to have cured my "dryness" ;)

Cheers :D

Libra
Friday 10th September 2010, 12:27
I will try that when I get home tonight. Thanks

Well I tried this and it did not work. I have now booked my car in at volvo for them to have a look at next week, plus a few other problems I have which I have been saving :D

straight5
Tuesday 14th September 2010, 09:37
Let us know what this turns out to be please, as I have similar issues.

Libra
Wednesday 15th September 2010, 14:39
I took the car in last night as I could not drop the car off in the morning. Anyway I get a phone call to tell me what they have found. I have boiled the brake fluid that is probably because VOLVO only state that DOT 4 when in realy it SHOULD have DOT 5.1. I am having that replaced.

Now the creaking noise apparently is the top mounts and also they say that the sub frame needs replaceing as it is bent/dented!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They are going to let me know when I pick the car up this evening how much these parts are before I go ahead with these items.

v70torslanda
Wednesday 15th September 2010, 15:02
Wow! What did you hit?

Make sure the dealer is replacing the subframe because it is an alignment or safety issue and not just because it has been marked on a speed hump.

That's going to cost £LOTS! Commiserations . . .

Liddo
Monday 20th September 2010, 14:52
any news???? how did you get on???

LeeT5
Saturday 25th September 2010, 19:32
I took the car in last night as I could not drop the car off in the morning. Anyway I get a phone call to tell me what they have found. I have boiled the brake fluid that is probably because VOLVO only state that DOT 4 when in realy it SHOULD have DOT 5.1. I am having that replaced.

Now the creaking noise apparently is the top mounts and also they say that the sub frame needs replaceing as it is bent/dented!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They are going to let me know when I pick the car up this evening how much these parts are before I go ahead with these items.

What??!!! for crying out loud! If the subframe was bent then you would know about it cos the car wouldn't drive straight. A new subframe is about £500 + fitting...that's over £1000 in plain speak.
Lets get one thing straight...power steering fluid being low does not cause a 'creaking' noise. It will cause the pump to groan but definately not creak.
Chances are if you haven't already greased your steering stops then you most probably have knackered front top mounts (or top hats). Common fault and yes they do creak when they are worn. Mine did it when i first got my R and both my 850 T5 and Laser Blue V70R did it too.

The worse case senario is that the fault lies within your steering rack. I hope to god it isn't that as a new rack for an R is over £1000.

I really do think Volvo are clutching at straws by suggesting your subframe is at fault...maybe a few bushes need changing but certainly not the whole frame. Unless you have been off roading and bellied out on a rock or tree stump!

Please...what ever will they come up with next.
Would be interested to know what the outcome is so keep us all posted.
;)

S60
Sunday 26th September 2010, 02:01
i've had this same problem with my car happened not long after i changed the top mounts started doin it when the engine was quite warm it went away after a while that was atleast a year ago i get it now on and off like a groaning noise fluid level is fine but i spray an oil similar to wd 40 into the struts at various angles the stuff i use keeps the insides lubed up unlike wd 40 which dries stuff out takes away the noise though which is the main thing