PDA

View Full Version : Crank case oil seal ?

Scootch
Monday 6th September 2010, 19:34
Hi all, found out where my oil leak is coming from, it is CRANK CASE, its running down hitting fly wheel then spraying everywhere, when engine is turned off oil poured out of fly wheel , any idea's how much a new seal will be and will it b main dealer?

SKIDMARKS
Monday 6th September 2010, 20:43
I replaced the rear main in my kit's Vaux xe but the engine had to come out and obviously take the box/bell off then sump. I used a Vaux main dealer this time for the seal and fitted it with a high quality sealer and no probs now, but wouldn't have thought it was possible to do with engine in situ. mind you I guess with a hoist and hands like gorillas it could be done.
Guess any decent workshop using the genuine parts would be ok.

Flatout Phil
Monday 6th September 2010, 21:18
RMS is about £2.75 IIRC. Getting to it may mean a new clutch plate if yours is contaminated. Likely your PCV is blocked too so budget for that if you want to avoid another blow out. Seriously, not the end of the world. The PCV you could probbaly do yourself with a decent toolkit and a few hours. Lots of posts on here about that job. THe RMS is a bit of a divvel as my grandma would have put it, and I would suggest getting a garage to do it. If your clutch is getting tired, get this done at the same time.

Not a main dealer job at all. Any competent clutch centre/garage would do it. Once you can see it, the thing can be swapped in a few moments, Getting to it is the drag. Suggest ringing around a bit. When I was a paid up VOCker they used to publish a list of garages recommended by VOC people.

Scootch
Monday 6th September 2010, 22:45
RMS is about £2.75 IIRC. Getting to it may mean a new clutch plate if yours is contaminated. Likely your PCV is blocked too so budget for that if you want to avoid another blow out. Seriously, not the end of the world. The PCV you could probbaly do yourself with a decent toolkit and a few hours. Lots of posts on here about that job. THe RMS is a bit of a divvel as my grandma would have put it, and I would suggest getting a garage to do it. If your clutch is getting tired, get this done at the same time.

Not a main dealer job at all. Any competent clutch centre/garage would do it. Once you can see it, the thing can be swapped in a few moments, Getting to it is the drag. Suggest ringing around a bit. When I was a paid up VOCker they used to publish a list of garages recommended by VOC people.

PCV DONE ALREADY, clutch fine , but new clutch megga money so wont be getting that done, the repair for the rear seal gonna set me back £180.00, can you get up rated seals?