PDA

View Full Version : Blown turbo seal or clogged oil drain?

Crazy_C
Friday 3rd September 2010, 23:55
Got the oil leak from the turbo oil drain sorted out today, and after probably 10 miles of driving, the car decided to pump the oil into the exhaust and there was a MASSSSSIIIIVVVEEEEE cloud of thick white smoke coming out the exhaust.

The turbo smoked a bit anyways on idle whilst I had the oil leak too, but nothing quite like this.

Symptoms are:

Oil coming out the exhaust
Oil coming out the air intake
Massive white cloud of smoke coming out the exhaust

Now do you think that this could be the oil drain pipe is clogged, the turbo seals are shot, or a combination of the two?

Cheers

daveforber
Monday 6th September 2010, 20:33
Is not white smoke normally water? Water feed (if there is one) leaking and mixing with oil maybe?

Crazy_C
Monday 6th September 2010, 20:47
I'm partially colour blind so it may have been blue / white, I honestly can't tell the difference. But water levels are perfectly fine.

But I've taken the turbo off, and I'd pretty much say it's buggered. You turn it and you can hear the spindle just grinding like mad............not good!

smithy
Tuesday 7th September 2010, 12:31
put a 16t on it mate then it will fly and you could beat me too at the next drag meet

Crazy_C
Tuesday 7th September 2010, 18:08
Well I have a 15G at the moment, need to see how this goes first. If the engine gives me any more trouble, bye bye B230FK, hello Rover 3.5L V8 on four barell carbs :D

Dangerous Dave
Tuesday 7th September 2010, 20:33
Well I have a 15G at the moment, need to see how this goes first. If the engine gives me any more trouble, bye bye B230FK, hello Rover 3.5L V8 on four barell carbs :D
V8 and four barrel downdrafts, now that would be awesome! (except for adding twin turbos!) Go for the 3.9 though.

Crazy_C
Wednesday 8th September 2010, 01:14
3.5 is easier to do mate, and I'm after easy! Why the carb set up, and not EFI :lol:

It'll be getting a V8 one day, just may be sooner than I had planned

MrMark
Wednesday 8th September 2010, 16:47
I am intrigued by your choice of engine. What do you think the pros and cons are of converting to the V8 as opposed to keeping with the B230?

smithy
Wednesday 8th September 2010, 17:19
the sounds nice but keep with the b230 it will be faster

Dangerous Dave
Wednesday 8th September 2010, 19:05
nicer exhaust note from the v8

Crazy_C
Wednesday 8th September 2010, 19:31
I've managed to get 620hp out of a heavily modified and supercharged Rover 3.5L V8.

Reason on the choice of engine, f-all in the way of wiring, easy to drop in, good torque and loads of mods for them and easy to work on.

MrMark
Wednesday 8th September 2010, 19:47
What power will you expect to run with the V8 in your 940 and how much do you expect it to cost?

What will be needed...

Engine, gearbox, prop, wiring, pipework, ...?

Dangerous Dave
Wednesday 8th September 2010, 20:46
I've managed to get 620hp out of a heavily modified and supercharged Rover 3.5L V8.

Reason on the choice of engine, f-all in the way of wiring, easy to drop in, good torque and loads of mods for them and easy to work on.

I do like that engine, my dad used to own a V8 Rover P6 and I used to love working on it.

Crazy_C
Wednesday 8th September 2010, 22:20
What power will you expect to run with the V8 in your 940 and how much do you expect it to cost?

What will be needed...

Engine, gearbox, prop, wiring, pipework, ...?

Well engine will be needed, always a good start, and an adapter plate to couple it up to the bell housing. Bit of custom pipework and electrics and away you go. Keep the engine naturally aspirated, with some work, can get 200hp from it.

But to be honest, IIIIFFFFFFFFFF I do a V8 transplant, I'll be very tempted to drop a carb'd small block Chevy V8 in there, with a torque shifter on it :)

Dangerous Dave
Wednesday 8th September 2010, 23:05
I followed this guys build for a while

http://www.mez.co.uk/

Fitted a chevy 350 into his off roader, then added twin turbos! Nice

MrMark
Thursday 9th September 2010, 14:32
Interesting stuff!

So would it be about being different and having a V8 soundtrack rather than power or reliability?

I've always liked the idea of fitting a different engine to a car. It would have to be for extra power though. I'm helping my brother in law fit a Saab B234 to his Omega in place of the 3 litre V6 and I not long got rid of my Metro that had a 160bhp VVC engine in it - I didn't fit it though the previous owner did.

The B230 in the Volvo is a good engine though, I'd looking to what people are doing with them over on www.turbobricks.com

Just an MBC is enough to see north of 200bhp. They can really take a lot of abuse, too.

If you stick with the Volvo engine and you've got the M90 5 speed gearbox, I've just had a batch of short shifters imported from Canada, still 4 left if you want one.

smithy
Thursday 9th September 2010, 15:07
im interested in short shifter and my 940t 1997 saloon is pushing 350 bhp and next year 450 to 480 bhp on standalone lol

Crazy_C
Thursday 9th September 2010, 17:38
I'd want the Rover V8 cos of it's reliability, it's simplicity, and everything. I've had nothing but trouble from Volvo engines twice now. Once with the 850 T5 engine, and now the B230FK engine.

Never had any issue with V8s so I'll just go with that I think.

Put the new turbo on, still smoking like mad, oil is going into the combustion chamber and burning rapidly :( Not a piston problem, not a turbo problem, I *think* I've checked the crankcase breather (that's the one that goes to the block and to the air intake, yea?) and that's fine too.

Totally stumped on that one, so V8 time!

Dangerous Dave
Thursday 9th September 2010, 18:44
To be fair the B230 engines should be bomb proof, so something major must have happened, maybe valve seals in the head then? That or oil is getting past the piston ring(s).

Crazy_C
Thursday 9th September 2010, 19:27
Compression is fine in all 4 cylinders mate so not rings, not a hole in a piston and not the valves.

Really got me n mates scratching our heads.

Dangerous Dave
Friday 10th September 2010, 00:26
Hmmm, tis a wierd one.

Somewhere on the tinternet there is a thread with a guy from the uk who put a V8 in his 740 and has lots of good info and problems he had, but I can't find it. I read it ages ago.

Crazy_C
Friday 10th September 2010, 00:34
The guy who's fitting it used to fit Rover 3.5 V8s into all sorts in a weekend with his old man.

He can do it without any trouble at all. All gonna be carb'd so that won't be an issue on the ECU or anything, so will be simples :)

Dangerous Dave
Friday 10th September 2010, 08:03
the guy who's fitting it used to fit rover 3.5 v8s into all sorts in a weekend with his old man.

He can do it without any trouble at all. All gonna be carb'd so that won't be an issue on the ecu or anything, so will be simples :)
sweet!