PDA

View Full Version : Best Tyres for Tuned 850's ?

gotmeaT-5
Friday 3rd September 2010, 20:01
What tyres are you running on the tuned 850's, V70's etc ? I've got Michelin which have lasted less than 6 months and 5000 miles so need options on upgrades

t5_monkey
Friday 3rd September 2010, 20:09
I've had Vredstein Ultracs on here - lasted about 12,000 of enthusiastic use, decent grip - those or Ultrac Sessantas (a very stiff sporty tyre) should do you well, they also give good grip in the wet too.

The Flying Moose
Friday 3rd September 2010, 23:39
What tyres are you running on the tuned 850's, V70's etc ? I've got Michelin which have lasted less than 6 months and 5000 miles so need options on upgrades

I have given up buying the best, they simply dont last long enough to warrant the cost. I tend to get part worns now on ebay or a little garage down the road from me if he has any in. Its worth looking at, he did me two Dunlop Sport Max tyres with 6mm on each for £60 fitted and balanced.

scr8pdo
Saturday 4th September 2010, 00:02
I got Vredstein Ultracs too, good tyre

walter leever
Saturday 4th September 2010, 00:24
I'm back were i started,Goodyear Eagle assymetrico(used to be the F1's,this is the new version).
gr,walter

smithy
Saturday 4th September 2010, 06:42
falcon 452s or avon zv5s and for really cheap but good nankangs and i have drag raced all 3 no probs .my personnel fav is avon zv5s

T5frankie
Saturday 4th September 2010, 08:25
i pay £21 each for part worn pirelli's 215/40/17's lol

Flatout Phil
Saturday 4th September 2010, 08:42
Ultrac Sessantas from Tyremen are a good deal. Although I have to say, I still like the Pzeros - although VERY pricey. Don't buy s/h tyres because I just don't how they became s/h - if you know what I mean! Lots of S/h tyres come from Germany where the wear regs are much stricter - but I cannot believe that some aren't coming from wrecked vehicles.
Wouldn't use any other secondhand rubber product either - just don't know where it's been!

dave stew
Saturday 4th September 2010, 09:25
I had Michelin Pilot Sport 2s on when I could pick 'em up from Costco for £85 a corner. Very good. Now I'm running 18" Nebs I'm using Falcon 452s which are marginally inferior to the PS2s. Face it, anything coughing 250+ BHP through the front wheels isn't going to contribute to good tyre wear!

Toyota Aygo on rock hard 'eco' tyres anyone?

jason850t5
Saturday 4th September 2010, 12:46
toyo proxes. good in wet too, but a bit pricey.

Storm-Troll
Saturday 4th September 2010, 14:28

any tire will do.. doesnt have to be anything special just because a car is tuned... cheap tires are just as good as expensive tires in a country where we are not allowed to drive over 70... dont waste ya money lol...

t5_monkey
Saturday 4th September 2010, 15:56
any tire will do.. doesnt have to be anything special just because a car is tuned... cheap tires are just as good as expensive tires in a country where we are not allowed to drive over 70... dont waste ya money lol...

depends on how you drive.

I could totally feel the difference when a garage installed my budgets on the front (got them on the rear).

You can definitely tell the difference between cheap tyres and decent tyres.

Storm-Troll
Saturday 4th September 2010, 17:35
depends on how you drive.

I could totally feel the difference when a garage installed my budgets on the front (got them on the rear).

You can definitely tell the difference between cheap tyres and decent tyres.

Ahh but the law says we must all drive well and be sensible. plus we are Volvo drivers who are very responsible sooooo of course we wouldnt need to buy expensive tires as we only need cheap ones that dont get put under any kind of stress and dont go over 70 mph....lmao

jason850t5
Saturday 4th September 2010, 19:04
you can drive sensibly and still come off the road due to having crap tires.

Storm-Troll
Saturday 4th September 2010, 19:11
you can drive sensibly and still come off the road due to having crap tires.

How??? All tires have to pass safety tests to be legal for sale. so how can you come off the road with legal tires if driving sensibly....

jason850t5
Saturday 4th September 2010, 19:24
dont know through experience, but isnt that why the big tire manufacturers spend so much money on research to improve their ROAD tires. Surely their priority is safety not speed.

t5_monkey
Saturday 4th September 2010, 20:54
Ahh but the law says we must all drive well and be sensible. plus we are Volvo drivers who are very responsible sooooo of course we wouldnt need to buy expensive tires as we only need cheap ones that dont get put under any kind of stress and dont go over 70 mph....lmao

I could tell the difference at normal road speeds, especially in the wet.

I had P6000's before which in my opinion, should be outlawed, terrible tyres - tramping, no grip in the wet.

Good tyres could make all the difference when Sally the School girl decides to run out in front of your car in the rain - even at 30mph.

Storm-Troll
Saturday 4th September 2010, 22:40
Sally the School girl decides to run out in front of your car in the rain - even at 30mph.

lol would we want to stop?. dont we get points for Sally lol

t5_monkey
Saturday 4th September 2010, 22:41
lol would we want to stop?. dont we get points for Sally lol

you get points that are redeemed in the form of bum love in prison :) (when you get sent down for death by dangerous driving!!)

jason850t5
Saturday 4th September 2010, 22:47
so thats why george michael drives round stoned all the time

Storm-Troll
Saturday 4th September 2010, 23:02
dont know through experience, but isnt that why the big tire manufacturers spend so much money on research to improve their ROAD tires. Surely their priority is safety not speed.

The Main reason everyone pays silly money for bits of rubber is partly the brand name that is what costs the money. like all brand names.. if u wanna have one either in ya clothes or on ya car to make it look good. then its gonna cost ya...tires are mainly designed for wet weather as in dry weather you would have great traction even with a bald tire. so all tires are made really for wet weather. but Like monkey said. you CAN feel the difference with cheap and expensive tires but I would think it almost impossible to lose control of a car and go off the road at 30mph whilst driving sensibly with either an expensive or cheap tire.. the cheap one would still with sensible driving do its job at such a low speed..

t5_monkey
Sunday 5th September 2010, 00:00
The Main reason everyone pays silly money for bits of rubber is partly the brand name that is what costs the money. like all brand names.. if u wanna have one either in ya clothes or on ya car to make it look good. then its gonna cost ya...tires are mainly designed for wet weather as in dry weather you would have great traction even with a bald tire. so all tires are made really for wet weather. but Like monkey said. you CAN feel the difference with cheap and expensive tires but I would think it almost impossible to lose control of a car and go off the road at 30mph whilst driving sensibly with either an expensive or cheap tire.. the cheap one would still with sensible driving do its job at such a low speed..

If you drive really slowly all the time, and have razor sharp cat like reactions I guess that's all good :)

I think the point is sometimes accidents happen fast, and a couple of inches difference can make all the difference between a scary near miss, and a massive crash.

For me personally, I'd rather have the extra 2-5% grip (and maybe more in poor conditions) that a good tyre will give, and pay a bit extra.

But then I guess the driver is always the most important safety component of every car.

Redbrick
Sunday 5th September 2010, 00:16
Hey Troll, have you down graded your tyres to the 'N' speed rating as you don't go over 70? Bet your still running on V's or W's. ;)

Storm-Troll
Sunday 5th September 2010, 05:05
you get points that are redeemed in the form of bum love in prison :) (when you get sent down for death by dangerous driving!!)

Well I love my Bum but I dont fancy the Bum Love so Ill avoid Sally and get extra points for pensioners instead lol.....

Storm-Troll
Sunday 5th September 2010, 05:09
Hey Troll, have you down graded your tyres to the 'N' speed rating as you don't go over 70? Bet your still running on V's or W's. ;)

Shhhhhhhhhhh lol.. they are the 170mph Plus rated pirelli tyres. they were on there when I brought the wheels earlier in the Year. Always handy to have 170mph Plus tyres. just incase I accidentally drive off Beachy Head whilst chasing a seagull.. then at least as I speed down the cliff face at high speed. I know the Tyres will be able to handle the Terminal Velocity.. lmao...:funkybana

gmain1967
Monday 6th September 2010, 22:34
Can't remember what programme it was on, but there was a test of performance brand tyres, and budget alternatives. They also showed the differences that a new tyre, as opposed to a worn tyre (2mm tread left, so perfectly "legal"), made to stopping distances, on a damp road.

The results of that alone would probably make anyone think twice about fitting cheap tyres, or running close to the legal limit. The differences were not just a few feet, but in some instances, nearly double... And that doesn't matter if you're The Stig, or George Michael just dropping off his holiday pics at Happy Snaps.....

Personally, it used to be Toyo Proxes T1-R's, but now, it's Yokohama Parada 2's...

Storm-Troll
Monday 6th September 2010, 22:45
lol I have been using Falkerns for years. they are £60 a tire.. great handling even on a track cornering at 90 and on the straight at 160+ and never had problem with them.. I guess you must mean veeery cheap tires lol

jason850t5
Monday 6th September 2010, 23:05
when do you have to come to a complete stop on a race track to avoid hitting a child

Storm-Troll
Tuesday 7th September 2010, 01:35
when do you have to come to a complete stop on a race track to avoid hitting a child

I dont drive like a **** on public roads so My tires are well able to stop me when needed too when driving legally lol :biggrin: also I had to do the Emergency Services Advanced driver training Years ago when I started driving Ambulance's soooo. I Like to think I have a more heightened awareness than joe public to whats going on around me on the road...

p fandango
Tuesday 7th September 2010, 07:22
i always go for cheap tyres (except my slicks lol). I do find it funny when people call cheap tyres "ditch finders", it wasn't the tyre that was driving too fast for the corner lol

Storm-Troll
Tuesday 7th September 2010, 16:11
i always go for cheap tyres (except my slicks lol). I do find it funny when people call cheap tyres "ditch finders", it wasn't the tyre that was driving too fast for the corner lol

:stupid: Well said that man... if you end up in a ditch. your driving like a bitch... lmao.. oooo im a poet too it would seem.. lol

scr8pdo
Wednesday 8th September 2010, 23:27
In a way Storm troll has a point, what will stop quickest from 100 mph:

Latest Volvo with abs etc with cheap nasty tyres on or
Ford capri 2.8i with no abs with the best stickiest tyres in the world on?

aeroresh
Saturday 11th September 2010, 08:15
I favour part worn Continental 2s (205/45/17) on my modded 850 (currently running around 360bhp) which I can get for £45 each with 7mm tread from my local emporium.

Grip in the dry is the best Ive found and you get some resemblance of tyre life out of them......usually around 6k miles out of the fronts with hardish driving.