PDA

View Full Version : not much boost

wolfsburg163
Thursday 2nd September 2010, 18:56
hi all, i've got a query regarding the hose that connects onto the actuator. does it have to be a certain length or certain size internal diameter? my car was fitted with an mbc which i have now removed, i also bought some new fuel hose but it has a slightly larger bore diameter and i've shortened it to probably half the original length and i've been told today that it is definately not boosting right by a volvo mechanic.

At the moment the boost needle is only just going into the white and it doesn't pull you back in your seat like it should. I've just had the new pcv kit fitted today because i was getting oil/ slight cream, and pressure coming out of the dipstick (and it was smoking on tickover). The mechanic said that none of the holes were sludged up when removing the catch tank, so when i got back home i took the air pipe off which connects to the turbo and there was oil in the bottom, i checked the sensor which sits in the pipe and the small nipple was completely blocked, fitted all back together after checking all pipes for holes and it's made no difference, i still have a rough idle (i've cleaned the idle valve out the other day).

Could it be my coil on its way out? or if my turbo was caput would it still run reasonably ok or would it just smoke it's tits off.

sorry to go on but i'm getting to that stage where i don't want to spend any more money on it.

cheers jamie.

leet5r
Thursday 2nd September 2010, 19:04
how much was it boostin with the mbc

wolfsburg163
Thursday 2nd September 2010, 19:17
it was going halfway into the white but everytime i booted it, it felt like it was overboosting cus it felt like i hit a brick wall for a split second so i took it off. i refitted it a couple of months later and turned it down but it doesn't feel like it is working now, even turning up the boost and it's not going any quicker. When i first got the car it occasionally kicked out lots of white smoke on idle after driving, but it's not even doing that anymore, could it be the turbo???

Jamest5r
Thursday 2nd September 2010, 19:51
First thing to do is check for an air leak mate, no air = no boost usually

leet5r
Thursday 2nd September 2010, 23:00
that brick wall will have been the fuel cut which is about 16psi , but thats at the end of the white, do what james said and check for boost leaks