PDA

View Full Version : Ooooops,think the turbo has blown!

z32twinturbo
Wednesday 1st September 2010, 10:30
I have had a oil leak for a couple months, when under car looking toward engine its just above turbo to the left, so, as soon as funds allow was going to get it done/investigated, was using only small amount of oil, kept me eye on it and topped up when needed, so far so good, went out monday, 100 mile round trip, no probs, but did seem a bit sluggish on way back, and a small puff of smoke observed when pulling off at a roundabout, but not worried as cars can play up,got home left it 2 days, yesterday checked water/oil etc, found oil to be very low, strange, so as i my son had used up the last oil i had in my garage thought better go get some, started car got to end of my road, pulled off, SMOKE like a volcano out back(blue/white) backed off, turned round went home, left it ticking over(engine check fault light now on,thinking 02 Sensor due to smoke!)while listening to engine smoke virtualy went, but at rear of engine near tub area i could hear faint intermitant high pitch squeal/whistle, so me thinks tub straight away(had simlar happen with a 300 TT,so more or less realised this).Smoke now gone, so took it out again, same thing happend,Check light still on, left it over night with battery off, started it this morning, check light on, smoke again.I am sure its the turbo, do others think this is the case.

Car is 855 GLT T5 November 95.
I actualy owned it a while back(bought it of a forum member actualy) and recently bought it back after a friend had it, i was not working at the time, its way to good to strip/scrap, engine has done 153000 with full history etc,been well looked after with many new parts, the turbo was believe it or not replaced at 14000miles in may 2009,probably just a second hand unit,and cambelt and tyres recently been done,so if its the turbo it warrants the repair but having just got back into work its the last thing i need,but these things happen.Here is what she looks like anyways.
Tony

z32twinturbo
Sunday 5th September 2010, 13:25
As i have now sourced another turbo off here,i need to know what replacement parts i will need prior to it being fitted,just making sure that when the garage do it(dont trust most garages having had bad times in the past)i have all parts needed.Cheers,Tony

Crazy_C
Sunday 5th September 2010, 15:38
Sounds like what has just happened to me on my 940 turbo mate. My turbo seals have blown beyond belief and there was just volcanoes of thick white smoke (I'm partially color blind so dunno if there was any blue in there or not)

Take the air intake pipe off the turbo and have a look to see if there's any oil in there.

Also worth checking your oil drain line, as if this is clogged, or has become clogged, it can cause the smoke as well.

HADI
Sunday 5th September 2010, 20:08
i have oil a oil leak from offside area of the engine but no smoke, wonder if its the return pipe as i believe there prone to leaking from there whats the best way to check as engine oil isnt really down much only slightly, cars been costing me money recently, failed mot last week with nearside arm needing replaced that cost £120 fitted, then had to get a new gear cable fitted as 2nd 4th and reverse very hard to select, that cost £200 fitted, now this !!

z32twinturbo
Tuesday 14th September 2010, 10:56
Its now at the garage for the replacement of the tub, so fingers crossed.
Should get it back Friday, maybe sooner.

Flatout Phil
Tuesday 14th September 2010, 12:04
Its now at the garage for the replacement of the tub, so fingers crossed.
Should get it back Friday, maybe sooner.

Let me know how it goes. Hope the turbo is a goody - should be.