PDA

View Full Version : Brake fluid going!!!

willi
Monday 30th August 2010, 09:52
Hi guys... My master cylinder of my 1998 V70r has been topped twice in the last week, there are traces of fluid on the servo unit and on the garage floor. Also the engine runs erratically from cold, is it the master cylinder and is a repair kit available??

Many Thanx.

The Flying Moose
Monday 30th August 2010, 10:03
I think as daft as it may sound first thing is to check all the brake line connections to the master cylinder are tight. May be as simple as that. However having seen a1 condition master cylinders for under £30 its far cheaper to replace the whole unit with a good second hand one than try to source the problem with the existing unit. Its a fairly easy job to do too.

fireclown
Monday 30th August 2010, 14:13
probably master cylinder. it can draw the fluid into the brake servo and burn it. there are quite a few different cylinders. tracs etc. easiest way is to pull it out and have a look.

willi
Monday 30th August 2010, 21:13
I think as daft as it may sound first thing is to check all the brake line connections to the master cylinder are tight. May be as simple as that. However having seen a1 condition master cylinders for under £30 its far cheaper to replace the whole unit with a good second hand one than try to source the problem with the existing unit. Its a fairly easy job to do too.

Checked everything from front to back of car, it appears to come from where the cylinder bolts to the servo...Would the engine revs fluctuate whilst driving,standing still and braking??

fireclown
Monday 30th August 2010, 21:27
Checked everything from front to back of car, it appears to come from where the cylinder bolts to the servo...Would the engine revs fluctuate whilst driving,standing still and braking??
they could. there is a seal between the servo and the cylinder. put your foot on the brake pedal and start your engine. the pedal should sink. turn off the engine leaving pressure on the pedal. if the pedal rises you have an air leak in the servo.

willi
Monday 30th August 2010, 21:38
they could. there is a seal between the servo and the cylinder. put your foot on the brake pedal and start your engine. the pedal should sink. turn off the engine leaving pressure on the pedal. if the pedal rises you have an air leak in the servo.

Ok..I will give it ago 2moz..

willi
Tuesday 31st August 2010, 11:40

Done a leak test as you suggested, everything ok..
Took out the master cylinder and found fluid inside the servo esp around the brake pedal plunger. So i guess a new cylinder is required.

Thanks