PDA

View Full Version : Joined the MBC Club

Jamest5r
Saturday 28th August 2010, 18:16
I like:B_thumb:

Started off with one of those red r-spec one's fully wound in and with Smithy watching the boost gauge for me fead the power in in 2nd and it went to 1.5bar and that was on 1/2 throttle, checked the mbc and was fully closed so nicked the nice forge one off Smithy's car:) lol and running lovely and holding 1.3 bar in 2nd and 3rd.

Think im addicted to the aggression:B_thumb:.

Just got to buy smithy a replacement now.

p fandango
Saturday 28th August 2010, 18:20
they can't be beat can they :sinner:

Rnash2002
Saturday 28th August 2010, 18:22

Started off with one of those red r-spec one's fully wound in and with Smithy watching the boost gauge for me fead the power in in 2nd and it went to 1.5bar and that was on 1/2 throttle, checked the mbc and was fully closed so nicked the nice forge one off Smithy's car:) lol and running lovely and holding 1.3 bar in 2nd and 3rd.

Just be carful you dont run lean mate.

Jamest5r
Saturday 28th August 2010, 18:32
Just be carful you dont run lean mate.

Still running the remap with it and that keeps the fuel nice and loaded i.e if i lift off in second or third i get flames in the exhaust from the un-burnt fuel, i know this because my mrs told me when we were having a little race lol.

p fandango
Saturday 28th August 2010, 18:40
Still running the remap with it and that keeps the fuel nice and loaded i.e if i lift off in second or third i get flames in the exhaust from the un-burnt fuel, i know this because my mrs told me when we were having a little race lol.
our Bagington warehouse has got a nice 1/4ish straight inside the industrial estate, when i was in BT a fellow worker followed me in & thanked me for the firework display lol

Wobbly Dave
Saturday 28th August 2010, 19:02

Hope you've not been doing anything norty??

Dangerous Dave
Saturday 28th August 2010, 19:48
I put my mbc back on, as I was away in Wales recently and the remap wasn't aggressive enough and is dropping off boost at critical points during overtaking at WOT (until I can be bothered to edit the maps) so I plumbed it back in on the campsite LOL, mmmmmm boost. Plus I like being able to choose how much boost I want with my right foot

leet5r
Saturday 28th August 2010, 19:56
once my other engine is built al let yous know how much boost kills the rods a fancy 22psi with the mbc lol

p fandango
Saturday 28th August 2010, 20:05
once my other engine is built al let yous know how much boost kills the rods a fancy 22psi with the mbc lol
it'll need more than that, i used to run 20.8psi lol

leet5r
Saturday 28th August 2010, 21:03
it'll need more than that, i used to run 20.8psi lol

get the bingo number out then lol . not be for a while yet , and with my luck brakin things it will be a BANG lol

The Flying Moose
Saturday 28th August 2010, 21:10
Im still loving my MBC, best cheap mod you can buy in my opinion :)

p fandango
Saturday 28th August 2010, 23:16
get the bingo number out then lol . not be for a while yet , and with my luck brakin things it will be a BANG lol
i reckon 28psi, what turbo you using?

leet5r
Sunday 29th August 2010, 00:15
16t for now , but colud end up goin back to a 15 or rebuild this 16 m8

when its ready we can get a sweep stake and the winner gets the conrod lol

JelT5
Sunday 29th August 2010, 08:19

Excellent! Well done mate :D you know it makes sense!!!!
Always loved my mbc ever since I first had it on the V70!

Scootch
Sunday 29th August 2010, 11:49

hi, my car runs slow , im running standard everything, is this the cheapeast way to get more power, if so can you point me in the right direction for all the bits i need , cheers m8

Rnash2002
Sunday 29th August 2010, 15:30
hi, my car runs slow , im running standard everything, is this the cheapeast way to get more power, if so can you point me in the right direction for all the bits i need , cheers m8
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MECHANICAL-BOOST-CONTROLLER-MBC-PRV-DAWES-TURBO-BOOST-/290445924504?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM

Make sure you get a aftermarket boost gauge aswell,and dont run no more than 14psi max on a standard map.

Santa
Sunday 29th August 2010, 16:08
Used MBC's on Rover turbos in the past. Issue wasn't as such the pressure (as MEMs killed all power at 14psi anyway) but the transmission. MBC basically removed any torque limiter from 1st and 2nd gear which would kill the gear boxes in time (though 80,000 miles between rebuilds wasn't to much hardship). Great agressive acceleration though :-)

850 2.5 10v
Monday 30th August 2010, 16:14

Perhaps your car is knackered?

One way to find out is fit an MBC and watch it go pop (for ever)

I suggest a good Stage 0 and checkover of all your pipework.

shemtek_racing
Monday 30th August 2010, 22:08
what a bunch of nobs

Dangerous Dave
Monday 30th August 2010, 22:34
what a bunch of nobs
Well thanks for that, are you going to elaborate on your findings? Or do you have a vocabulary limited to only four letter words?

Jamest5r
Monday 30th August 2010, 23:00
what a bunch of nobs

As Bomb has said mate, you care to elaborate on that statment and to whom it refer's too.

p fandango
Tuesday 31st August 2010, 01:50
i think he's one of these who likes his power "smooth & flat", & pays double the price of any other remap for it lol

JelT5
Tuesday 31st August 2010, 02:33
what a bunch of nobs

Hmmm...it's easy to be insulting to people when you're hiding behind a computer somewhere isn't it?

Justin
Tuesday 31st August 2010, 08:37
what a bunch of nobs

Quite simply BANNED!
Its not the first time you have insulted members.

Carry on lads :)

nick
Tuesday 31st August 2010, 09:49
i think he's one of these who likes his power "smooth & flat", & pays double the price of any other remap for it lol

i'm one of those people - funnily enough i'd rather pay a bit more, get the job done correctly and keep my engine internals where they should be:rolleyes:

but, each to their own....

smithy
Tuesday 31st August 2010, 12:36
jamest5r has been remapped and been on the rollers but kept dropping off boost in 2nd and 3rd so now he has fitted forge mbc it sits strong at 1.25 bar and dont drop anymore.ive fitted mbcs on my v70 and that was customed maped and held boost at 1.3 bar and also fitted mbc on 940 and that held boost at 1.4 bar no probs.all i have to say is use a good quality mbc i use forge unos mbc good bit of kit.

Tim Williams
Tuesday 31st August 2010, 13:01
I don't think Shem's post was very productive... If you find after a remap that the boost under load falls off then climbs slowly again this is normally due to the ECU seeing higher than expected MAF values. The ECU tries to reduce boost for engine longevity not to be a kill joy, it might help if this happens to check your AFR's as when it happens quite often the car is also running lean.

Jamest5r
Tuesday 31st August 2010, 14:02
boost with my map is fine, it peaks when you first boost it to 1.25 bar then the map pulls it back to about 1.1bar but all is smooth and constant,

Dangerous Dave
Tuesday 31st August 2010, 14:02
I don't think Shem's post was very productive... If you find after a remap that the boost under load falls off then climbs slowly again this is normally due to the ECU seeing higher than expected MAF values. The ECU tries to reduce boost for engine longevity not to be a kill joy, it might help if this happens to check your AFR's as when it happens quite often the car is also running lean.
So then the remap is poor?

p fandango
Tuesday 31st August 2010, 15:44
i'm one of those people - funnily enough i'd rather pay a bit more, get the job done correctly and keep my engine internals where they should be:rolleyes:

but, each to their own....
as you say each to their own, but if you notice there are a few people who running them along with a remap (which i advise against) because they purely aren't happy with them. You want to pay that sort of money & "make do" with how someone else thinks the car should drive thats your choice. I've driven cars with all the major remaps (except BSR) & not been impressed with any of them. I agree it may not be getting the full potentional but i can make do with the small loses to have a car how i want it to be

as for the internals, with a stock ECU the MAF/boost limit cuts in nice & early to protect the engine which is why i say not to run a MBC with a remap, who knows what they've done to the protection systems

JelT5
Tuesday 31st August 2010, 16:40
as for the internals, with a stock ECU the MAF/boost limit cuts in nice & early to protect the engine which is why i say not to run a MBC with a remap, who knows what they've done to the protection systems

As far as the custom map on mine is concerned, the fuel cut feature still appears works at 1.5bar (oops lol). I've wound it back a bit now though ;)

p fandango
Tuesday 31st August 2010, 16:50
As far as the custom map on mine is concerned, the fuel cut feature still appears works at 1.5bar (oops lol). I've wound it back a bit now though ;)
now running at 1.49bar then lol

JelT5
Tuesday 31st August 2010, 16:56
now running at 1.49bar then lol

something like that mate lol

gmain1967
Tuesday 31st August 2010, 17:10
Quite simply BANNED!

Much appreciated Justin. I cannot get my head around why a certain group of folk on t5d5, feel the need to discuss this, and other volvo forums, and then deliberately start arguments and/or just be abusive, on those forums The issue of the use of an MBC was just another topic and this time, the appropriate action taken.

I for one welcome your response and hopefully it mat detract others from similar posts which contribute nothing to the forum. Equally, if anyone else posts likewise, they can expect a similar outcome.

Hats off to you.

smithy
Tuesday 31st August 2010, 17:41
most remaps ive seen will not let you go above 1.4 bar anyway and if you fit your mbc properly then you should not get boost spike.also jamest5 is building a forged engine for his which will take more boost and a custom remap.

Tim Williams
Tuesday 31st August 2010, 22:59
So then the remap is poor?

It doesn't mean the map is poor, just not suitable for that application as it is. This is usually because the owner has altered the actuator after the map.

James T5R's case is normal if the wastegate is set too tight or if a larger turbo has been fitted after the map was done. That's exactly what I was on about, boost going to 1.25Bar then reducing to 1.1Bar, I bet the boost climbs again from 1.1Bar if the turbo is capable of delivering more above that RPM point.

t5_monkey
Tuesday 31st August 2010, 23:24
Quite simply BANNED!

I'd like to shake you by the hand Justin - and if you were the mod who banned strbyran from here - also buy you a pint :)

Too many times on the other 2 main uk volvo forums a perfectly good thread has been ruined by sad sacks who want to wind everyone up. I've been insulted and had lots of personal and business information trawled up against me in a way designed to be threatening and insulting on the other forums when I've commented on comments that I thought were inappropriate - with precious little action from the mods.

It's a shame the other Volvo related forums don't take the attitude that it's a grown up forum, and if you can't act that way you're out of the nearest window - probably why I spend 90% of my car related surfing time on VPC.

*raises a glass to the Mods*

Turkish
Wednesday 1st September 2010, 11:24
Too many times on the other 2 main uk volvo forums a perfectly good thread has been ruined by sad sacks who want to wind everyone up. I've been insulted and had lots of personal and business information trawled up against me in a way designed to be threatening and insulting on the other forums when I've commented on comments that I thought were inappropriate - with precious little action from the mods.

Not wanting to stoke the fire, but the same has happened to me.

Unfortunately we all know who these people are and what type of person they are, bedroom keyboard warriors at their very best with very few social skills that makes them disappear in society so they try and voice themselves from behind their PC, hence the constant links to insulting threads and wanting to use PM rather that use a phone or meet in person. If only they could understand there is more to life than blooming Volvo forums....

It's a shame so many of them go into hiding when you call them out though.

Santa
Wednesday 1st September 2010, 11:34
It's a shame the other Volvo related forums don't take the attitude that it's a grown up forum, and if you can't act that way you're out of the nearest window - probably why I spend 90% of my car related surfing time on VPC.

*raises a glass to the Mods*

I had alot of free time yesterday so had a look through the VOC and T5D5 forums......obviously lots of information on both but also lots of politics. (New to the Volvo Forum scene so please don't flame me...just the impression I got).Think I also saw the thread your refering to t5_monkey which was very unfair.....and very off topic. (Think the thread started off about which maps or something?)

Flatout Phil
Wednesday 1st September 2010, 14:02
what a bunch of nobs

Isn't the correct spelling 'knobs'? I don't know what education is coming to these days. And surely the collective term for knobs would more correctly be 'a handful', or a 'grasp'?

Somebody, please pass him back his dummy.

JelT5
Wednesday 1st September 2010, 14:10
Isn't the correct spelling 'knobs'? I don't know what education is coming to these days. And surely the collective term for knobs would more correctly be 'a handful', or a 'grasp'?

Somebody, please pass him back his dummy.

That's class Phil :D

Jamest5r
Wednesday 1st September 2010, 15:48
It doesn't mean the map is poor, just not suitable for that application as it is. This is usually because the owner has altered the actuator after the map.

James T5R's case is normal if the wastegate is set too tight or if a larger turbo has been fitted after the map was done. That's exactly what I was on about, boost going to 1.25Bar then reducing to 1.1Bar, I bet the boost climbs again from 1.1Bar if the turbo is capable of delivering more above that RPM point.

Tim you are correct lol apart from the boost rising back up as it doesn't on mine?, in an ideal world everytime i changed something i would get the map altered to suit, however this is a costly business which i cant afford month on month so the best route around this (in my case) is a quality mbc(forge) and set my limits that way, when i get around to having the forged engine rebuit i will the pay the monies to have it properly mapped to my needs/likes.

Cheers

scr8pdo
Wednesday 1st September 2010, 16:27
what a bunch of nobs

Whats his problem? did i miss something or is he just a wind up merchant?

scr8pdo
Wednesday 1st September 2010, 16:28
Tim you are correct lol apart from the boost rising back up as it doesn't on mine?, in an ideal world everytime i changed something i would get the map altered to suit, however this is a costly business which i cant afford month on month so the best route around this (in my case) is a quality mbc(forge) and set my limits that way, when i get around to having the forged engine rebuit i will the pay the monies to have it properly mapped to my needs/likes.

Cheers

Where did you get a Forge MBC, its not the bleed valve one on PFV is it?

PS: Can anyone show me or remind me how to bypass the bcs with a mbc, obviously compressor housing hose to mbc then to wastegate i think but what about the third pipe, do i just blank it or leave it connected, thanks in advance Steve

BruceT
Wednesday 1st September 2010, 16:44
The 3rd pipe is just to for the BCS to dump air back into the intake tract, after the maf as its already been metered.

With the MBC this 3rd pipe is made redundant, just block it so the hose cant suck in un-metered air. Innit?

scr8pdo
Wednesday 1st September 2010, 16:57
Much appreciated Justin. I cannot get my head around why a certain group of folk on t5d5, feel the need to discuss this, and other volvo forums, and then deliberately start arguments and/or just be abusive, on those forums The issue of the use of an MBC was just another topic and this time, the appropriate action taken.

I for one welcome your response and hopefully it mat detract others from similar posts which contribute nothing to the forum. Equally, if anyone else posts likewise, they can expect a similar outcome.

Hats off to you.

On the subject of forums, I have been a member on all 3 of the main Volvo forums but only normally was on VOC I have only just started frequenting VPCUK and T5D5 and to be honest you are right, there seems to be a hell of a lot of bitching and childish wind ups, although sometimes it can be amusing to see it does get a bit tedious at times, like being back at playschool I will always give as good as i get but there seems to be a small handfull of people who are always trying to cause trouble with sarcastic one liners or offensive name calling, are their lives really that miserable? It seems that these are the sort of people who were bullied at school and now sit in the safety of their home having a dig at people asking civil questions expecting a civil answer, it really is a shame, I just hope they will grow up for their own sakes one day and enjoy life instead of hiding behind curtains sniping.

And on that note i would just like to say i find VPCUK and friendly and welcome place to be away from the petty arguments :)

Jamest5r
Wednesday 1st September 2010, 17:11
Where did you get a Forge MBC, its not the bleed valve one on PFV is it?

PS: Can anyone show me or remind me how to bypass the bcs with a mbc, obviously compressor housing hose to mbc then to wastegate i think but what about the third pipe, do i just blank it or leave it connected, thanks in advance Steve

Here you go mate, not cheap but ive tried the cheaper version's and wasn't happy, suppose you get what you pay for.

http://www.forgemotorsport.co.uk/content.asp?inc=product&catalog=0029

brett craig
Wednesday 1st September 2010, 18:06
can someone please confirm for me if i can set up a mbc with a gauge and pump ? ( pedro, james, lee ? )

hamish changed my ecu for me but made no difference, ive changed the plugs dizzy again with no difference, so today ive put a mbc on to bypass the bcs to see if its at fault,

if i set it to open at 14/15 psi with a pump and gauge will this still equate to 14/15psi of boost generated pressure ?

sorry for the highjack lol

Jamest5r
Wednesday 1st September 2010, 18:11
In theory i would say so but i dont know if you have to take the actuator pressure (4psi) into account, best to buy a boost gauge imho, ive got an old battered one here you can have foc works fine but a bit bashed around the edges so you woulnt want it in your car.

brett craig
Wednesday 1st September 2010, 18:16
cheers james, boost gauge is already fitted but thought it would be more accurate to set up seperate but see your point about the actuator pressure.

Jamest5r
Wednesday 1st September 2010, 18:20
Make sure the mbc is fully wound in then take it out one click at a time in 2nd/3rd to see what the boost is.

smithy
Wednesday 1st September 2010, 18:21
can someone please confirm for me if i can set up a mbc with a gauge and pump ? ( pedro, james, lee ? )

hamish changed my ecu for me but made no difference, ive changed the plugs dizzy again with no difference, so today ive put a mbc on to bypass the bcs to see if its at fault,

if i set it to open at 14/15 psi with a pump and gauge will this still equate to 14/15psi of boost generated pressure ?

fit a boost gauge mate and then turn mbc off [no boost] and turn it half a turn at a time and take the car for a drive and check boost pressure .its good to have someone next to you to take the boost figuires.if the car has been remaped then you could run the car at 1.1 to 1.2 bar mate.after you have done this pop down to a rolling road to check things like afrs mate.

brett craig
Wednesday 1st September 2010, 18:25
this is just a follow on from my only thread re- boost issues lads, the car has a hlm 304 but wouldnt boost past 10psi, the mbc is only on for a day whilst i figure if the bcs is faulty, dont want to run the map and mbc, only things left it could be are bcs, maf or actuator so i'm narrowing it down now lol

smithy
Wednesday 1st September 2010, 18:30
if you set the mbc right then you should be able to run both mate

scr8pdo
Wednesday 1st September 2010, 19:38
I got a half decent mbc, only thing is its letting air by when fully wound down, its only slight but i assumed it had to be totally air tight until pressure was reached and the ball lifted, does anyone know if this is a fault or is it supposed to let a very small bit of air through no matter how tight i wind it down (even with the locknut off to give it more pressure) it seems the ball bearing is not totally sealing inside

http://i52.tinypic.com/8x50up.jpg

brett craig
Wednesday 1st September 2010, 19:44
if you set the mbc right then you should be able to run both mate

what bothers me about that is that i cant put my foot down below 2.5-3k without bending the rods

brett craig
Wednesday 1st September 2010, 19:44
I got a half decent mbc, only thing is its letting air by when fully wound down, its only slight but i assumed it had to be totally air tight until pressure was reached and the ball lifted, does anyone know if this is a fault or is it supposed to let a very small bit of air through no matter how tight i wind it down (even with the locknut off to give it more pressure) it seems the ball bearing is not totally sealing inside

http://i52.tinypic.com/8x50up.jpg

mines the same unit and does the same thing mate

scr8pdo
Wednesday 1st September 2010, 19:48
mines the same unit and does the same thing mate

And how does yours work? I mean is it ok, do you get good boost, I thought that if it was letting air through you would get wastegate creep, like premature opening

nobananas
Wednesday 1st September 2010, 19:56

When I ran an mbc I set mine up with a pump and gauge, when fitted it boosted to exactly what I had set it too. Always run a gauge on the car though, even just temporarily to check.

scr8pdo
Wednesday 1st September 2010, 20:03
When I ran an mbc I set mine up with a pump and gauge, when fitted it boosted to exactly what I had set it too. Always run a gauge on the car though, even just temporarily to check.

If i tried to set my MBC that way with a pump and gauge it will be letting by before i get to the right pressure, any ideas???

Jamest5r
Wednesday 1st September 2010, 20:23
If i tried to set my MBC that way with a pump and gauge it will be letting by before i get to the right pressure, any ideas???

As ive said before, you get what you pay for, i tried a r-spec mbc and it was all over the place and did'nt feel safe using it, it came straight off after 1 run fully closed so then borrowed Smithy's forge one and it's so accurate in it's holding of boost i feel safe using it, each click you can see a slight rise, yes a lot more money around £80 del but worth it imho

Jamest5r
Wednesday 1st September 2010, 20:37
what bothers me about that is that i cant put my foot down below 2.5-3k without bending the rods

Time to change your driving style lol, i never put my foot down below those figs even just running the map, you soon get used to it:eclipsee_ lol

scr8pdo
Wednesday 1st September 2010, 20:59
As ive said before, you get what you pay for, i tried a r-spec mbc and it was all over the place and did'nt feel safe using it, it came straight off after 1 run fully closed so then borrowed Smithy's forge one and it's so accurate in it's holding of boost i feel safe using it, each click you can see a slight rise, yes a lot more money around £80 del but worth it imho

I still dont know whether this MBC is faulty, should it let by even when wound right down? it seems strange that Bret Craig has the same unit and it does the same, its such a basic design as with all MBCs if it is faulty then I will replace it, I just cant see how it could be set with a pump and gauge if air is letting by from the start, even the Forge one will be of the same design but does that one let by as well or is it totally air tight until the required pressure is reached? There is also a little hole in the side of the unit, whether this is to let the air out that is letting by before reaching the wastegate actuator I dont know, any help would be great

p fandango
Wednesday 1st September 2010, 21:09
MBC's should block all air until they hit the desired boost level

scr8pdo
Wednesday 1st September 2010, 21:48
Anyone seen one of these before, they look interesting

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250682983827&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Jamest5r
Wednesday 1st September 2010, 22:26
That's a bleed valve mate, get something with only 2 outlet's.

Edit..sorry just read the blurb...dont know mate never seen anyone try something similar

claymore
Wednesday 1st September 2010, 22:37
that's the sort of thing I use, car is happy at 18psi, and manic spool up.

scr8pdo
Wednesday 1st September 2010, 23:36
I thought it looked quite neat plus i read on on of the Punto turbo forums a bloke fitted on of these and his car does 180 mph... in reverse so i got to have one lol!

p fandango
Thursday 2nd September 2010, 04:28
as James says its bit confusing why its got 3 ports if its a MBC, which it says it is in the description

the Forge MBC sounds a very nice & well engineered bit of kit, but for that price you've also got to look at comparing it to a cheap EBC

scr8pdo
Thursday 2nd September 2010, 07:38
Iam thinking the third hole is for the vent? on my mbc (pictured a few posts back) it has a little hole on the body inline with the outlet connector, if it was to have a connector where the hole is it would look like a T-piece, does anyoner know what its for?

claymore
Thursday 2nd September 2010, 07:50
It is a vent, I have mine piped back into the air intake (where the third pipe off the bcs used to go)

scr8pdo
Thursday 2nd September 2010, 11:24
Oh right, i cant connect mine up to anything as its just a little hole just bigger than a pinhole, but that would explain what the 3rd connector is on that blue 3 port one one Ebay cause he says its a ball/spring type, i asked him if he had any feedback on them and he told me he had used them and other people had had great results with them although one or two said they didnt work, he assumed they had fitted them wrong or had damaged compressor housings, he did however offer me a full refund if iam not happy, cant decide, them Forge ones look good but seem very expensive for what they are

smithy
Thursday 2nd September 2010, 17:55
the forge ones are good and very acraute too .i needed 1 at the time and payed the price but they are a good bit of kit mate and was worth paying the extra in my opinion.alot of the vag use them and the seat boys.