PDA

View Full Version : Beige R manual knob end. How can I re-skin it?

Flatout Phil
Wednesday 25th August 2010, 22:18
My manual knob is getting ever more worn. The leather is worn through in parts. I will ask Rufe if they can be got, otherwise will need it reskinned. It is in cream beige and I think is a unique R item. So if you have one, or any ideas, let me know please!

I look forward to your single entendres :)

Crazy_C
Wednesday 25th August 2010, 23:28
Well if you want to reskin your knob end, I'd say talk to some Jewish people, see if they have any spares laying around ;)

Sorry, had to be said!

Try removing it and see if you can remove the skin that's on it, might give you a better idea on what is needed. I've reskinned a few shifters in my time, and usually I just remove the skin, undo the stitching, lay it out flat, use it as a template and make a new one :) Did one in purple latex for a customer once ;)

Flatout Phil
Thursday 26th August 2010, 12:55
Well if you want to reskin your knob end, I'd say talk to some Jewish people, see if they have any spares laying around ;)

Sorry, had to be said!

Try removing it and see if you can remove the skin that's on it, might give you a better idea on what is needed. I've reskinned a few shifters in my time, and usually I just remove the skin, undo the stitching, lay it out flat, use it as a template and make a new one :) Did one in purple latex for a customer once ;)

Good idea (not the first one though - reminds of the one about the retiring rabbi who wanted something made from all the skins he had left. Received a purse in return he was initially disappointed, until told that by stroking , it turned into a holdall. Oh dear - it does not get any better with the passing of the years). May well do the de-skin since in is so shabby.