PDA

View Full Version : wheel vibration 855

tattoo101
Wednesday 25th August 2010, 15:54
hi all i have a slight vibration at around 70-80mph, as i drive alot on the motorway it is starting to get on my nerves it is slowly getting worse not by much but i can notice it, the wheels have been balanced not long ago. has any one any idea what it could be?

scr8pdo
Wednesday 25th August 2010, 16:58
hi all i have a slight vibration at around 70-80mph, as i drive alot on the motorway it is starting to get on my nerves it is slowly getting worse not by much but i can notice it, the wheels have been balanced not long ago. has any one any idea what it could be?

I would double check the balacing, its dead easy for a weight to drop off, also whilst on the balancer check the wheel isnt out of shape as you rotate it, check for flat spots too, then if all thats ok, concentrate on the suspension, feel for any play in trac rod ends, ball joints etc, please check the rears also and bearings there too, also how do you get the vibration? Is it a noise through the car or a feeling in the steering wheel, any particular side etc?

Flatout Phil
Wednesday 25th August 2010, 17:12
Swap your wheels front to back for starters (but not from side to side in case the tyres have a rotational direction). Alloys do bend pretty easily so give them a spin whilst on the axle stands. Wheel balancing needs to be done with care - a decent fitter will be able to sort anything sensible (as opposed to damaged) with internal adhesive weights. Do not have weights hammered on - this will ruin the look and damage your wheels. Wishbone bushes, lower ball joint looseness may need checking as indeed may bearings, struts and CV joints. My money is on poor balancing.

tattoo101
Wednesday 25th August 2010, 20:25
I would double check the balacing, its dead easy for a weight to drop off, also whilst on the balancer check the wheel isnt out of shape as you rotate it, check for flat spots too, then if all thats ok, concentrate on the suspension, feel for any play in trac rod ends, ball joints etc, please check the rears also and bearings there too, also how do you get the vibration? Is it a noise through the car or a feeling in the steering wheel, any particular side etc?

there is no noise its just a vibration through the steering wheel, ataround the 70-80 mph mark.

fireclown
Wednesday 25th August 2010, 20:36
if you can drive through it. it is more than likely the wheels.

tattoo101
Wednesday 25th August 2010, 21:16
i tried to drive through it but is constant if not a little worse abouve these speeds

nobananas
Wednesday 25th August 2010, 22:30
I've had a vibration in my 850 ever since I bought it (about 6 years ago). Only really noticed it when going on holiday and at motorway speeds. It never felt particularly though the wheel, just uncomfortable and seemed to increase when accelerating and around long sweeping bends. I went through about 3 sets of tyres like that even having the last set re-balanced when on holiday but resigned myself to living with it and starting to hate the car. Then on my last trip to the Lakes (in april) I re-balanced the wheels on our brand new tyre balancer before I left and couldn't believe the difference, it drove how I wish it always had !. Still don't really know what the cause was but I'm terrified to change the front tyres now !(which need doing again). One thing I have noticed with a few cars including my T5 is that if you jack the front end up and then pull the wheels lock to lock occasionally you can get a very bad steering shake when you then drive it (this happened the last time I balanced the front wheels when I also chucked in a set of brake pads as well) . This can be cured by turning lock to lock a dozen times (engine running) or so and I asume it's caused b trapped air in the system. I've also had this happen before with customers cars and it doesn't go away with normal driving unless you lock to lock a dozen or so times with the vehicle stationary, just a thought.