PDA

View Full Version : cam belt

KellyJones
Tuesday 24th August 2010, 21:47
Hi, anyone have any info that would help me change a cambelt on a 1996 850? need some help with timing marks ect, need to do te job from scratch as the belt is missing, thanks in advance.

castellsmith123
Tuesday 24th August 2010, 22:14
I have the AST cam timing kit if you want to borrow it mate if it will work on your's! Does anyone know if the 2.5 engine uses the same timing kit as the T5? Mine is for the 2.5

KellyJones
Wednesday 25th August 2010, 07:28
Hi, thanks for the offer, what does the kit do? i asume assist in setting up the marks/locking the cams in place etc? if it will work on miy car it would be great to borrow it, let me know, thank

castellsmith123
Wednesday 25th August 2010, 15:25
It lock's the cams into the correct position! I have had a look today and it is for the 2.0 and 2.5 20v engine's ,so I'm not sure it will work!

KellyJones
Wednesday 25th August 2010, 15:54
Thanks, let me know.

KellyJones
Friday 27th August 2010, 19:25
Does anyone know how set up the timing to fit a cam belt, are there any tining marks on the bottom pully?

Jamest5r
Friday 27th August 2010, 19:40
Yes there is a little groove on the bottom if i remember correctly, but as long as you have a bottle of tippex and mark the cams and crank you will be fine, just when you refit the belt make sure the slack bit is on the off side of the tensioner then when it springs into place it wont move anything, but as long as the marks line up and you turn it over by hand first to check.

KellyJones
Friday 27th August 2010, 20:07
Thanks for the response, my problem is i bought the car with the timing belt cut and removed so need to start from scratch and line up everything, so the bottom pully should have a mark somewhere around the edge? what do you line this up with? the top pullys have marks and from what i have found on the net you line up the very small marks on the cam pullys with the edges of the plastic can cover?