PDA

View Full Version : oil leak turbo return pipe?

T5frankie
Tuesday 24th August 2010, 18:32
I have an oil leak on my s40 T4 and the whole of the bottom of the car now has oil under it, it isnt obvious where it's coming from ,if this is the turbo return pipe (as keeps getting mentioned) how do i fix it? how do you get it out of the sump end? any ideas appreciated cos going down the road smoking everyone out.

Rnash2002
Tuesday 24th August 2010, 20:14
If its like the t5 then it will have a little rubber washer thing on the end that goes into the engine,these fail and leak oil,think there pritty cheap from volvo so not to bad.

T5frankie
Tuesday 24th August 2010, 20:25
how does it fit into the sump?

5seaterT5x2
Tuesday 24th August 2010, 20:28
how does it fit into the sump?

on the t5 it's just a push in jobby then 2 bolts top end where it fits to turbo
t5 as i say dont know if it's the same but seal on oil filler cap well worth changing to they go hard n brittle oil leaks out down back of engine

SAMXPJ
Wednesday 25th August 2010, 02:14
10p oil seal ring but a pig of a job to fit on a t5 without a lift

T5frankie
Wednesday 25th August 2010, 17:30
if it isn't leaking from there are there any other usual suspects leak wise?

SAMXPJ
Wednesday 25th August 2010, 19:40
When it leaks from that turbo oil return pipe on the 70series cars it usually drips onto the exhaust and causes a smell in the car. Other than that I don't know of another place it normally leaks from.

5seaterT5x2
Wednesday 25th August 2010, 20:18
if it isn't leaking from there are there any other usual suspects leak wise?

on the t5 the oil filler cap seal dont know if yours is the same

T5frankie
Wednesday 25th August 2010, 20:19
When it leaks from that turbo oil return pipe on the 70series cars it usually drips onto the exhaust and causes a smell in the car. Other than that I don't know of another place it normally leaks from.

thats what its doing dripping onto exhaust causing quite a bit of smoke, i tested the turbo straight from cold and no smoke whatsoever, so it's definately a leak

SAMXPJ
Thursday 26th August 2010, 01:21
It looks like it is the O ring that seals the return oil pipe from the tubo, you will find it so much easier to replace it if you can use a lift or even a pit would help, also if you know a symathetic volvo main stealer that will lend you their special tool that makes life a lot easier to undo the pipe end. The dealer charges in my area around £90 to do the job + 10p for the O ring it takes him around 40minutes.