PDA

View Full Version : Pulling my hair out

Rnash2002
Monday 23rd August 2010, 15:44
Ok on going probs with the car,i fitted a working fuel pump,still struggles to get boost,fitted working fuel reg,still the same,now if the fuel pump relay was shot would it still prime the pump? start the car?
I had one from the old owner of the car that he swapped out,now i changed it over fot that and still the same.
If compression was down on the engine would it struggle to boost?

leet5r
Monday 23rd August 2010, 15:56
a think it would struggle to turn over if the comp was down m8 , what else is the car doin

what was the turbo housin like , if its cracked round the wastegate penny that might make it not boost

Rnash2002
Monday 23rd August 2010, 16:25
a think it would struggle to turn over if the comp was down m8 , what else is the car doin

what was the turbo housin like , if its cracked round the wastegate penny that might make it not boost
I havent looked to be fair,sure im just going off the dyno showed up running super lean,if it was the turbo i dont think it would have run so lean lol.

leet5r
Monday 23rd August 2010, 16:37
strange like , mines been funny buggers aswell

Rnash2002
Monday 23rd August 2010, 17:06
Could this be a sender unit problem aswell?

scr8pdo
Monday 23rd August 2010, 17:28
If compression was down it would spin over easier if anything it would spin faster and take a bit longer to start, have you checked comp?

leet5r
Monday 23rd August 2010, 17:36
could e the fuel filter or the fuel reg

Rnash2002
Monday 23rd August 2010, 17:44
If compression was down it would spin over easier if anything it would spin faster and take a bit longer to start, have you checked comp?
Thats next on my list lol.

could e the fuel filter or the fuel reg
Fuel reg changed,wil change filter when i get a chance.

nobananas
Monday 23rd August 2010, 20:34
You running a de-cat, could be partially collapsed cat, silencer.

Rnash2002
Monday 23rd August 2010, 20:36
You running a de-cat, could be partially collapsed cat, silencer.
Its a sports cat.

Volvostorm
Monday 23rd August 2010, 20:53
What injectors are you running? As Jimathon says, get then cleaned and checked.

I've been told on mine to run atlest Greens, I've been looking at some Siemens Deka VI 630cc and a Walbro pump.

leet5r
Monday 23rd August 2010, 21:06
it wont be ya cat m8 , unless the actuator has give up , could be the wastegate penny aswell

Rnash2002
Monday 23rd August 2010, 21:12
What injectors are you running? As Jimathon says, get then cleaned and checked.

I've been told on mine to run atlest Greens, I've been looking at some Siemens Deka VI 630cc and a Walbro pump.
Running blues,no need to run bigger on a standrd bottem end.

Volvostorm
Monday 23rd August 2010, 21:16
What boost controller you using?

Rnash2002
Monday 23rd August 2010, 21:35
What boost controller you using?
An mbc.

Volvostorm
Monday 23rd August 2010, 21:57
That may have something to do with the low boost, but not the lean running problem

smithy
Tuesday 24th August 2010, 15:57
i would get a second rolling road done mate to make sure you are running lean .also take 1 of your plugs out to see what colour they are because if it was running that lean they will be very white

Rnash2002
Tuesday 24th August 2010, 20:12
i would get a second rolling road done mate to make sure you are running lean .also take 1 of your plugs out to see what colour they are because if it was running that lean they will be very white
I took the plugs out a few days after the dyno and they were a perfect colour.
I defo think it could be the turbo as it just got worse and worse now no boost,if it run lean and got hot then its probably cooked the turbo lol.
Going to have a look at her tomorow then decided if i take turbo off,if i do and its that then i think its good night to any fun in her this year :(

Alan M
Tuesday 24th August 2010, 21:18
The K24 turbine casting is very thin compared to most other Td series items. When run lean as they do in standard form even on the S60 T5 and R I have had a couple from perfectly healthy unmodified cars and others which have cracked severely across the wastgate face and through the housing completely. These cracks will cause boost problems as the turbo can at times be spinning so fast to try and reach the desired level you require , because it doesn't have the gas required through leakage, it can get very very hot and just cause more problems. This is a big problem and one that does require you to make sure you have an adequately mapped car or at the least a way of you keeping an eye on your AFRs for longevity and car engine health reasons. The housings can be repaired by being welded at states which require the casting to be kept at a set temperature to stop fast contraction of the welds. A forge is very useful in this case and with the correct arc rods you can weld the cracks effectively and make the housing useable again. A company in Norway IIRC offers the repair with a garauntee of 12 months.

The current K24 on my car was in a bad way when I first obtained it as TC should be able to confirm but it is now after hours of very extensive welding and grinding work is now usable again. I did have to completely refabricate the wastegate area and flap though as the flap design covers quite a considerable area over the turbine wheel exit which I wanted to reduce. I ended up making the correct shape I required from a mix of K24 and Td angled housing. These wastegate flaps are very good high temperature capable quality steels which I haven't yet identified exactly but retrofitting from one to another is not a simple job. I tried this as an excersize to see if I would be willing to offer the repair as one from my business but because of the work involved and the man hours required for such a small return it really is not something I will be offering as a service.

So I would remove your turbo if all your other parts are in goon order and completely check it over to see if it has in any way got to a cracked state through very high temps (associated with lean running conditions) to see if it is damaged in any way.

smithy
Wednesday 25th August 2010, 13:17
I took the plugs out a few days after the dyno and they were a perfect colour.
I defo think it could be the turbo as it just got worse and worse now no boost,if it run lean and got hot then its probably cooked the turbo lol.
Going to have a look at her tomorow then decided if i take turbo off,if i do and its that then i think its good night to any fun in her this year :(

well your car is not running lean if your plugs are perfect mate .check your turbo as said if it is throw on a 16t angled flange turbo till you get thye other 1 fixed and i would try another rolling road mate for a second opinion .

Rnash2002
Wednesday 25th August 2010, 13:59
well your car is not running lean if your plugs are perfect mate .check your turbo as said if it is throw on a 16t angled flange turbo till you get thye other 1 fixed and i would try another rolling road mate for a second opinion .
Well went out today and took heat shield off,couldnt see much wrong,tryed to push the actuator rod and seem alittle stiff,slackend off the rod a good few turns,gave the end that goes into the exhaust side of the turbo a few light smacks as well.
Took her out and was still the same but felt alittle better,into 2nd and gave me a few more psi.
Came back home and gave the actuator a few more smacks lol turned the boost up via the mbc aswell.
Went out and just got better and better,even holds boost better so seems to me that it might have leaned out and heated up the turbo that the cap that covers the hole on the exhaust side might have not seated proper? and was leaking boost when i put the foot down,or it was getting worse and worse with the fuel and when i changed the pump and reg it had to take a few runs to flow back through?
Or the car took a fit on the rollers and thought im going to play silly buggers lol.

Volvostorm
Wednesday 25th August 2010, 14:25
You slacken the rod off, I wonder if the actuator was set wrong?

Rnash2002
Wednesday 25th August 2010, 14:29
You slacken the rod off, I wonder if the actuator was set wrong?
Ive messed about with that lots since putting the turbo on the car so cant see it being that to be fair.

smithy
Wednesday 25th August 2010, 14:29
Well went out today and took heat shield off,couldnt see much wrong,tryed to push the actuator rod and seem alittle stiff,slackend off the rod a good few turns,gave the end that goes into the exhaust side of the turbo a few light smacks as well.
Took her out and was still the same but felt alittle better,into 2nd and gave me a few more psi.
Came back home and gave the actuator a few more smacks lol turned the boost up via the mbc aswell.
Went out and just got better and better,even holds boost better so seems to me that it might have leaned out and heated up the turbo that the cap that covers the hole on the exhaust side might have not seated proper? and was leaking boost when i put the foot down,or it was getting worse and worse with the fuel and when i changed the pump and reg it had to take a few runs to flow back through?
Or the car took a fit on the rollers and thought im going to play silly buggers lol.

see you at santapod mate lol

Rnash2002
Wednesday 25th August 2010, 14:35
see you at santapod mate lol
Hold your horses lol,ive booked into a different dyno for friday to see what a afr's are doing,will know more then friday mid day.

smithy
Wednesday 25th August 2010, 15:26
Hold your horses lol,ive booked into a different dyno for friday to see what a afr's are doing,will know more then friday mid day.

good i think you will see different figuires mate

Rnash2002
Wednesday 25th August 2010, 16:53
good i think you will see different figuires mate
Too be fair not to botherd about the power result just want the afr's to spot on.

smithy
Thursday 26th August 2010, 13:33
Too be fair not to botherd about the power result just want the afr's to spot on.

that is what im talking about mate not power figuires