PDA

View Full Version : Phase 2 T4 correct engine code / identification ?

mas
Monday 23rd August 2010, 11:05
Guys am I right in thinking that b4204t5 is the Phase 2 engine and B4194T is the older engine. I dont want to trip up and get the phase one when I am after a phase 2. It seems a 2002 could be either phase one or pahse 2 due to changeover.

I#m assuming engine number is a sure fire safe way to know you are buying a phase 2 and not a late registered phase 1 ?

Cheers

Mas

gmain1967
Monday 23rd August 2010, 12:33
That is the latest derivative of the 2.0 that the T4 came with. In order of age, they were;

B4194T
B4194T2
B4204T3 with vvt
B4204T5 with vvt

Cheers

mas
Monday 23rd August 2010, 14:09
Does that mean the two 4204 numbers are the phase 2 as people call them with the improved economy then ? , I havnt found one T4 for sale with that T3 number yet though just the T5 engine number on 2002 onwards.

Cheers

gmain1967
Monday 23rd August 2010, 15:33
Not 100% certain on that but I think so. If you see engine codes that are either;

B4204T or
B4204T2,

they are not T4's, and are the lpt variant, both with vvt.

Cheers

LiamT4
Monday 23rd August 2010, 16:36
As far as i know, the phase 2 came out in about july 2000, but it seems that for a while after "phase 2" cars were still being made with the earlier engine.

When it comes to phase 2 body and interior its pretty easy to tell the difference, different headlights and the side marker lights are the main difference, but there are others too. The fascia and center console is very different and much more up to date (the stereo is also more old fashoned in the pre 2000 cars).
Mechanically they have had some bits sorted, bigger brakes being the main thing. On the autos, they went from being a 4 spd, switchable auto to a 5 spd adaptive box (with this box my car got pretty decent mpg for its performance)- this all seemed to come in to effect from mid 2000.

The engines seem to be a bit random though

As an example, me and my mate both had auto t4s and mine was an X reg and his was a W reg, both looked from the outside and the inside to be identical, both also had the same 5spd auto and 280mm front brakes, BUT i'm sure we noticed that they had diffenent engine codes (i'm very sorry but can't remember what the codes where, or which way round they were).

I think i have seen that the older engines were still being used well into 2001, but can't confirm this.

Sorry if i'v gone on a bit. lol. But hope it may help you a bit.

mas
Monday 23rd August 2010, 16:42
No , thanks that makes a lot of sense. It seems a safe bet that the engine number ending T5 is the later 'more economical' engine that people keep saying is preferable. I dont know if the difference in economy is as marked as some people say of course, I have no way of knowing. I drove an ealty T5 manual the other week only a pooter about but it seemed a real go-er.

A lot of folk seem to go by their MPG meter which of course is like asking a car salesman if he's an honest man :hihi:

Out of interest what MPG did you get out of your T4 auto do you know ??

Cheers

Mas

LiamT4
Monday 23rd August 2010, 16:59
No , thanks that makes a lot of sense. It seems a safe bet that the engine number ending T5 is the later 'more economical' engine that people keep saying is preferable. I dont know if the difference in economy is as marked as some people say of course, I have no way of knowing. I drove an ealty T5 manual the other week only a pooter about but it seemed a real go-er.

A lot of folk seem to go by their MPG meter which of course is like asking a car salesman if he's an honest man :hihi:

Out of interest what MPG did you get out of your T4 auto do you know ??

Cheers

Mas

After a few months of getting used to it, i was getting about 27mpg on short stop start journeys and between 34 and 39mpg on long journeys (but as you say, the mpg meter does probably overread).
What i can say is that when i had the t4 and v-power was about £1.20 (which is about the price now) i was spending about £33 a week and in my s70r auto i'm spending around £40 a week, for the same miles.

I really rate the phase 2 t4s, mine went from 90k to about 128k in less than 2 years and the only thing that needed doing (apart from tyres and brakes) was the exhaust manifold gasket (which is common). Although i always have the oil and filter changed every 6 months on my cars.

Will point out though, that if you want to, you can easily get the mpg into the v early 20's!

gmain1967
Monday 23rd August 2010, 18:52
[QUOTE=LiamT4
Will point out though, that if you want to, you can easily get the mpg into the v early 20's![/QUOTE]

Drive spirited around here (the A708 from Selkirk to Moffat for one), and I was around 15.....