PDA

View Full Version : Help please

Jamest5r
Saturday 21st August 2010, 18:57
I will do my best to describe the problem..........when i put my foot down and the boost comes in randomly it just drops power for a second or so the picks up fine again, its like a boost hose popping off its that violent, but not that as it still catches again and pulls fine, could it be lack of fuel for a split second?? any ideas welcomed, cant afford to just start replacing random parts, new volvo plugs fitted last week so its not that.

Cheers

Rnash2002
Saturday 21st August 2010, 19:19
So when it happens does all the boost drop off?

Jamest5r
Saturday 21st August 2010, 19:23
Everything drops mate, its like a miss fire but no popping out the back, also when i start it its sluggish for the first split second, not starting cleanly if you know what i mean but fine after a second or so.

p fandango
Saturday 21st August 2010, 19:31
you've not got any soft silicone hoses pre-turbo that could be collapsing under the increased air pressure have you?

volvoboy2009
Saturday 21st August 2010, 19:34
my last v70 r used to have a simular fault it would start then stall start up on 4 then blow black smoke out then would pull like a train then be sluggish
it was traced back to a faulty maff sensor if this helps steve

Jamest5r
Saturday 21st August 2010, 19:58
you've not got any soft silicone hoses pre-turbo that could be collapsing under the increased air pressure have you?

Not that i can see mate all look good.

Jamest5r
Saturday 21st August 2010, 19:58
my last v70 r used to have a simular fault it would start then stall start up on 4 then blow black smoke out then would pull like a train then be sluggish
it was traced back to a faulty maff sensor if this helps steve

Cheers, got a maf coming from t5pete to check that.

Rnash2002
Saturday 21st August 2010, 20:14
Might sound stupid but have you got the gaps right on the plugs?

Jamest5r
Saturday 21st August 2010, 20:33
Might sound stupid but have you got the gaps right on the plugs?

Was doing it before i changed the plugs, that's what i changed first.

The way me and you are going mate our head to head will be lucky to get sub 20's lol

t5 pete
Saturday 21st August 2010, 20:44
My first thought would have been a ignition problem then hoses imploding it could well be the maff not metering the air correctly then telling the ecu to cut the boost

Santa
Saturday 21st August 2010, 20:48

The way me and you are going mate our head to head will be lucky to get sub 20's lol

Why are we waiting ....... because they are still running......ok then. Then you can all wait for my 30 sec 1/4 mile. (If anything else goes wrong with mine I might be running in a Passat TDi Estate).

I know nothing about cars but had a similar things with a Rover 620Ti years ago and the fault was electrical. (Battery lead terminal jumping off battery).

p fandango
Saturday 21st August 2010, 20:52
I know nothing about cars but had a similar things with a Rover 620Ti years ago and the fault was electrical. (Battery lead terminal jumping off battery).
you had a Rover & the only problem was the battery terminal jumping off, your were a very very lucky man

Santa
Saturday 21st August 2010, 20:58
you had a Rover & the only problem was the battery terminal jumping off, your were a very very lucky man

To be fair the 2 t-16 powered Rovers were very reliable........didn't quite appreciate how reliable until I got this S60R lol.

The 620Ti, £394 and did 80,000 miles in it. Sold for £290. Bargin.

p fandango
Saturday 21st August 2010, 21:11
To be fair the 2 t-16 powered Rovers were very reliable........didn't quite appreciate how reliable until I got this S60R lol.

ah, heard many stories about S60R's. Not good for the name when Rover's are more reliable

Santa
Saturday 21st August 2010, 21:18
ah, heard many stories about S60R's. Not good for the name when Rover's are more reliable

I have probably just devalued every S60R now. ****!

Be able to buy another one now and have change from a tenner.

This is going off topic.....sorry James

Rnash2002
Saturday 21st August 2010, 23:09

I think you would win,mine has trouble giving me any boost at the moment lol

Dont knock the Rovers lol,i was into them before the volvo's 3 years and all the t-16 turbo engined cars from the 200 series to the 800.
Didnt have any major problem with any of them,just shame the pistons couldnt take much power :(

T5frankie
Saturday 21st August 2010, 23:13
sounds like fuel cut to me used to do the same in my impreza, i upgraded the fuel pump

Santa
Saturday 21st August 2010, 23:31
Didnt have any major problem with any of them,just shame the pistons couldnt take much power :(

Think the earlier engines were better for pistons, the later models used "softer" pistons. (I remember the term chocolate pistons)

p fandango
Saturday 21st August 2010, 23:37
can we stop the Rover talk please, its depressing lol

Vikingxl
Sunday 22nd August 2010, 00:36
can we stop the Rover talk please, its depressing lol

No!

Rover Rover Rover!!!!!

p fandango
Sunday 22nd August 2010, 00:52
No!

Rover Rover Rover!!!!!
can't hear you

http://www.countryuniverse.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/monkey-with-fingers-in-ears.jpg

Vikingxl
Sunday 22nd August 2010, 00:54
rover rover rover
can't hear you

http://www.countryuniverse.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/monkey-with-fingers-in-ears.jpg

Jamest5r
Sunday 22nd August 2010, 01:01
sounds like fuel cut to me used to do the same in my impreza, i upgraded the fuel pump

Fuel pump was new 18mths ago.

P. Diddy and Viking, sod off to the rover forum lol.

Vikingxl
Sunday 22nd August 2010, 01:04
Im already there lol from when i had my mighty 25 they didnt want pedro as he was seen as the suspect character after he was caught stroking a metro in Corley services many years ago

p fandango
Sunday 22nd August 2010, 01:11
Fuel pump was new 18mths ago.
have you tried reading the codes to see if any are stored. BT's fuel cut kicked in early because of a dodgy knock sensor

P. Diddy and Viking, sod off to the rover forum lol.
theirs a Rover forum, bet its exciting on there (wonder if they've got a group buy on K-series head gaskets lol)

Jamest5r
Sunday 22nd August 2010, 01:13
I knew i had seen Duane's face somewhere before but it was with a montego.

Vikingxl
Sunday 22nd August 2010, 01:15
Lol the report i saw mentioned black rubber but im not sure if it was the metro, metro driver, pedro or an "innocent" bystander

p fandango
Sunday 22nd August 2010, 01:17
mighty 25
http://clotheslineblog.com/files/images/rejected.preview.gif

Vikingxl
Sunday 22nd August 2010, 01:18
Lol and i sold it to another member on here as well

p fandango
Sunday 22nd August 2010, 01:20
I knew i had seen Duane's face somewhere before but it was with a montego.
wow hang on here, i like a good joke as well as the next person. But being accused of being in a Montego is WAY below the belt mate

p fandango
Sunday 22nd August 2010, 01:22
Lol and i sold it to another member on here as well
go on, name & shame. It was James wasn't it? lol

Vikingxl
Sunday 22nd August 2010, 01:23
Lol no James wasnt sure he could deal with the power but thinking back it might have been lack of power

leet5r
Sunday 22nd August 2010, 01:45
could be the actuator

Santa
Sunday 22nd August 2010, 08:41
See this going down hill........my wife has a Rover 25.

Head gasket seems fine though.......more worried about the CVT gearbox tbh.

p fandango
Sunday 22nd August 2010, 11:14
See this going down hill........my wife has a Rover 25.
http://www.nikonwatch.com/images/nelson.jpg

my uncle used to have one actually, black with big 4 foot green MG badge on the side :doh: