PDA

View Full Version : testing a bcs

scr8pdo
Saturday 21st August 2010, 11:43
Does anyone know of a way to test a bcs? I had a bit of a boost problem with my car, i found a broken jubilee clamp on the bottom of the intercooler, but it looks like someone has bypassed the bcs without a mbc, the bcs looks a bit shabby anyway, is there a way to test it or does anyone know how much a new one would be, thanks in advance Steve

gmain1967
Saturday 21st August 2010, 12:53
Does anyone know of a way to test a bcs? I had a bit of a boost problem with my car, i found a broken jubilee clamp on the bottom of the intercooler, but it looks like someone has bypassed the bcs without a mbc, the bcs looks a bit shabby anyway, is there a way to test it or does anyone know how much a new one would be, thanks in advance Steve

Obvious question - if the BCS is bypassed, and there is no MBC in place, what is controlling boost?

If you can connect the BCS up and run the car hard, they apparently sometimes emit a "ticking" noise if you listen closely. Not foolproof, but an indication nonetheless. For a T4 at least, they aren't expensive (around the £40 mark)

leet5r
Saturday 21st August 2010, 12:58
the turbo compressour housin will be controllin the boost, which is the correst way to fit a mbc iirc

scr8pdo
Saturday 21st August 2010, 16:49
Yes it will be turbo compressor housing controlling it so its hardly boosting, it looks as though at some point someones had a mbc fitted and when they removed it they have just joined the pipes up, does anyone know if the bcs wears out ie does it get weak in old age or is it a case of it works or it doesnt, Iam gonna give it a full service and put a Rica ecu in, just want everything to work as it should, ive sorted all the boost hoses (RIP) and just about to replace all vac lines with fuel hose, also wanted to tweak the actuator rod on the wastegate (any advice?) the car is a bit of a project at the moment, its off the road and iam playing with it in my spare time

p fandango
Saturday 21st August 2010, 17:02
Yes it will be turbo compressor housing controlling it so its hardly boosting, it looks as though at some point someones had a mbc fitted and when they removed it they have just joined the pipes up, does anyone know if the bcs wears out ie does it get weak in old age or is it a case of it works or it doesnt, Iam gonna give it a full service and put a Rica ecu in, just want everything to work as it should, ive sorted all the boost hoses (RIP) and just about to replace all vac lines with fuel hose, also wanted to tweak the actuator rod on the wastegate (any advice?) the car is a bit of a project at the moment, its off the road and iam playing with it in my spare time
yes they do go weak & the internal diaphram perishes with age, but don't know how to test them tbh. Why don't you fit a MBC or EBC?

leet5r
Saturday 21st August 2010, 17:20
kalmar union do a uprated 1iirc

gmain1967
Saturday 21st August 2010, 17:47
Either way, with the mods that you are proposing, I would suggest it best to get either an MBC or an EBC fitted as pfandango suggests, in order that you have a level playing field, so to speak. And have everything up and running fine, before changing anything.

p fandango
Saturday 21st August 2010, 17:52
Either way, with the mods that you are proposing, I would suggest it best to get either an MBC or an EBC fitted as pfandango suggests, in order that you have a level playing field, so to speak. And have everything up and running fine, before changing anything.
plus it gives you a bit of flexability with controlling it, investing in a decent EBC means you can work wonders with how the turbo boosts/spools

scr8pdo
Saturday 21st August 2010, 20:43
plus it gives you a bit of flexability with controlling it, investing in a decent EBC means you can work wonders with how the turbo boosts/spools

Ive got a brilliant MBC from my previous T5 but would it be ok with the 304 Rica?

p fandango
Saturday 21st August 2010, 20:50
Ive got a brilliant MBC from my previous T5 but would it be ok with the 304 Rica?
JelT5 (ignore the fact he's a foreigner lol) used to use a MBC & RICA with good results, you can use them both together but as i said earlier the MAF/boost-limit protection will either be raised or removed because of the remap so please be carefull.

scr8pdo
Saturday 21st August 2010, 21:18
So even if the Rica map has raised or eliminated the boost limit, if it had raised it, there would be no control over it without a bcs would there? So what do you reckon is a safe boost pressure i can set the mbc to? should i leave the bcs connected (electrically) regards Steve

p fandango
Saturday 21st August 2010, 22:13
So even if the Rica map has raised or eliminated the boost limit, if it had raised it, there would be no control over it without a bcs would there? So what do you reckon is a safe boost pressure i can set the mbc to? should i leave the bcs connected (electrically) regards Steve
the boost/MAF limit cuts the fuel/ignition, it does cut the boost/power using the BCS

i can't give a recommended boost level because i've no experience of remaps so no idea what the fuelling etc is adjusted to

yes you will need to leave the BCS plugged in to keep the ECU happy but with no pipes connected to it, it'll throw a CEL light if you unplug it