PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Cut

TenaciousC
Friday 20th August 2010, 16:29
Hi All

Seem to be hitting fuel cut rather a lot recently @ 13-14 PSI stock ECU. Normally this boost level is acceptable to ECU, so something is changing / deteriorating.

Experience tells me to suspect a boot leak in pipework between turbo and inlet manifold, leading to over-metering of air.

Made a cursory inspection and couldn't see any issues. All pipes are samco (1 year old), tigtly on, and intercooler looked to be in good shape when I change the Rad in December.

The PCV hose from LHS of inlet manifold is chocked (so that's not the problem either).

Just wondered if anyone knew of any other common trouble spots i should check before I begin the rat hunt.

Thanks in Advance

C

TenaciousC
Friday 20th August 2010, 17:12
taking the plastic cover off the throttle revealed oil on it, and yes there was a huge split on the pipe from idle control valve to the vacuum tree. I should imagine this will be the source of my problems :-).

Sorry to waste a thread!

C

Flatout Phil
Friday 20th August 2010, 17:15
No, that is a useful fragment of knowledge. Will put that in the dusty box for some future time...

TenaciousC
Friday 20th August 2010, 17:49
No, that is a useful fragment of knowledge. Will put that in the dusty box for some future time...

Nice of you to say! :-)

I can confirm that after fixing pipe, and a test drive, normal service has been resumed!

Cheers

C

scr8pdo
Friday 20th August 2010, 21:18
When does the fuel cut supposed to come in on a stock ECU? Is it around 15psi I remember when i first fitted a mbc i was getting it quite a lot, but after a remap it boosted much higher without cutting

p fandango
Friday 20th August 2010, 21:32
When does the fuel cut supposed to come in on a stock ECU? Is it around 15psi I remember when i first fitted a mbc i was getting it quite a lot, but after a remap it boosted much higher without cutting
it will do, the remap removes/raises the standard fuel cut which is why you have to be carefull with the MBC becuase theirs no protection now

Ed.
Friday 20th August 2010, 23:34
taking the plastic cover off the throttle revealed oil on it, and yes there was a huge split on the pipe from idle control valve to the vacuum tree. I should imagine this will be the source of my problems :-).

Sorry to waste a thread!

C

You mean like this?

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r239/bass_ed/Cars/850/faults/IMG_1719Medium.jpg

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r239/bass_ed/Cars/850/faults/IMG_1722Medium.jpg

Glad you got it sorted.

Ed

nobananas
Saturday 21st August 2010, 10:54
I had a similar thing a while ago, at about 4 grand it was like hitting a brick wall, my problem ended up being a cheap fuel pump that I had fitted a couple of months earlier to get the wife out of trouble when the old one died on her way to work. Took a couple of months before it gave trouble though !

TenaciousC
Saturday 21st August 2010, 11:22
You mean like this?

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r239/bass_ed/Cars/850/faults/IMG_1719Medium.jpg

It was actually the smaller pipe to right (in your photo above) from the idle air control valve to the top of vac tree. It had split around the clip on the IAC valve.

Your one was a beauty alright! I'm impressed. :-)

C