PDA

View Full Version : Stainless steel question

Happygilmore78
Friday 20th August 2010, 10:15
The lips of my alloys are stainless steel, centres normal - but yesterday whilst pulling on my neighbours drive so my lass could get her car on the drive i caught the kerb.

Had a look and its a really really small contact point, you are talking about 5mm x 3mm max BUT i was wondering if it would flake? or grow in size as it weathered?

Only reason i ask is do i need to get it sorted, or will it be ok as its stainless steel, as i remember old knives i had that took a battering and never spread any further etc, so hoping it was ok.

Thanks

t5 pete
Friday 20th August 2010, 11:00
If it is stainless and unpainted i cannot see it spreading or causing any further problems

wegal
Friday 20th August 2010, 11:17
Depends on the grade of the stainless. If its really good quality, with high nickel content it will be fine, if its cheap ££££e made in china from recycled knives forks spoons and staples then chances are it wont be fine. Are you sure your wheels are stainless steel, seems like a very heavy and expensive material to make wheels out of.

Happygilmore78
Friday 20th August 2010, 11:47
They look it bud and the guy said they were where i bought them (Told me to clean with toothpaste??)- but can not vouch. They certainly look like it, but only the lip - the centre is alloy.

Probably are made in China, and will somehow dissolve away now lol. Have dabbed a bit of clear laquer on to semi seal it.

Cheers for responses

j@mie
Friday 20th August 2010, 12:42
If it is stainless and unpainted i cannot see it spreading or causing any further problems

totally agree. Depends... are they lacquered?

Stainless Steel 316 has a high content of chrome, whereas 304 has less... 316 and 304 will rust in years to come, however 316 will last a lot longer.

Its mainly the chrome than the nickel that helps it from rusting.

I know from experience that trying to chrome plate onto s/s 316 is a bitch, but can be done.

Happygilmore78
Friday 20th August 2010, 13:01
I'm not sure if they ar laquered buddy, all i know is the lip is highly polished and just looks like spoon would in terms of make-up, and now surface is broken you can see a dark dull metal behind.

I really hope they stay where they are, dont want to be getting them refurbed :(

Happygilmore78
Friday 20th August 2010, 13:02
I'm not sure if they ar laquered buddy, all i know is the lip is highly polished and just looks like spoon would in terms of make-up, and now surface is broken you can see a dark dull metal behind.

I really hope they stay where they are, dont want to be getting them refurbed :(

wegal
Friday 20th August 2010, 13:28
316 is marine grade stainless, it would go dull but not corrode ( well it would eventually ) I think the bigger issue you will have is the electrolysis between the alloy and the steel if they are in contact with each other ( never really understood this bit of physics ) It can be 316 304 or any other grade, it really does depend on the QA of the company that made the steel. Like i said china stuff will probably corrode, shefield steel probably wont. Oh Korean steel wont either, thats super high quality stuff.

you should be able to rub down the damaged area and repolish it fairly easily, stainless is pretty easy to get a good shine on, then laquer it as you have done and it should be fine.