PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust manifold

KellyJones
Thursday 19th August 2010, 19:32
Hi
Need some advise, just bought a genuine 75000 mile 1995 T5 manual, its two owners from new the last owner has had it since it was just over 12 months old, it was bought as a project needing the head gasket doing, does anyone have any tips on removing the exhaust manifold? it looks a bit tricky! any tips or advise would be good, many thanks.....

Rnash2002
Thursday 19th August 2010, 20:28
Hi
Need some advise, just bought a genuine 75000 mile 1995 T5 manual, its two owners from new the last owner has had it since it was just over 12 months old, it was bought as a project needing the head gasket doing, does anyone have any tips on removing the exhaust manifold? it looks a bit tricky! any tips or advise would be good, many thanks.....
Its pritty easy once the heat shield and turbo are out the way,think its 13mm nuts but could be wrong lol think it has 10.
See here

http://www.swededemon.com/images/850html/turbo/japmanifold.jpg

Theres also little washers things behind each bolt aswell.

KellyJones
Friday 20th August 2010, 07:38
hi, thanks for the response, do i need to remove the turbo to do the job or does it just make it easier? thanks again

Rnash2002
Friday 20th August 2010, 07:44
hi, thanks for the response, do i need to remove the turbo to do the job or does it just make it easier? thanks again

Im not 100% sure but i think you would have to remove the turbo,defo make it easyer anyway as theres not alot of room down the back on the block.

Tim Williams
Friday 20th August 2010, 08:03
If your doing a head gasket you have no need to remove the turbo or manifold, just remove the 10 nuts mentioned and leave the turbo and manifold in place.

KellyJones
Saturday 21st August 2010, 10:28
Thanks for the help so far----im sure i will be back!!!!!
I Will remove the heat shield later and see what extra room that gives me, any recomended suppiers for the gasket set and cam belt?

KellyJones
Saturday 21st August 2010, 12:44
Just removed the heat shields, thats a bit better! more room!

KellyJones
Sunday 22nd August 2010, 21:01
Ok- the head is now off....funny the guy i bought the car from said the head gasket had gone, i could not test the car as he had already started to strip the head down, anyway i cant see any evidence of water ingress or head gasket leakage? i am looking to get the head surface skimmed, can this be done with valves still in place? the car has only done 75k from new and the seats look perfect, any advise would be good, many thanks

Tim Williams
Tuesday 31st August 2010, 23:08
The head can be skimmed with the valves in place, I would get genuine parts if possible. Rufe on the forum works for FRF Volvo and will offer a very good discount, they don't do a head set so you will want a head gasket, 12 head bolts, 2 front cam seals, 2 rear cam seals, 5 spark plug O rings, 1 rear of head water pipe gasket, 1 inlet gasket 1 exhaust manifold gasket (ask for a V50T5 one), 1 tube of sealer and a thermostat housing gasket. They do a cambelt kit.