PDA

View Full Version : MAF Sensor Screen Removal

Rnash2002
Wednesday 18th August 2010, 12:33
Ok did this to my car before i went to the rollers,now if my maf was on the way out anyway would this have sped up the dying of it?
Keep getting the 231 code come up now and my boost seems to come in alot slower than before.

Al115
Wednesday 18th August 2010, 12:45
Quite possibly dicking around with it has hastened its demise. They are very fragile at the best of times :(

Rnash2002
Thursday 19th August 2010, 20:30
Ok been out in the car again today and it seems to bring the boost in alot slower and there is no kick in the back aswell,could this be maf related or lack of fuel?

BruceT
Friday 20th August 2010, 08:04
I doubt a plastic gauze would cause this.

Maybe when you was doing this you knocked one of the BCS hoses or coincidence you got a vacuum/boost leak?

The gauzes job is too stop foreign objects entering the air intake duct, thus into the turbo in the envirmoment where, for instance the air filter is not fitted (For whatever reason) or the foreign objects manage to get into the air box and then pass through the air filter element, the hard plastic gauze stops it getting further.

Unless ofcourse, when you removed the gauze you may have damaged the hot wire in the Air Flow housing...?

Rnash2002
Friday 20th August 2010, 09:33
I doubt a plastic gauze would cause this.

Maybe when you was doing this you knocked one of the BCS hoses or coincidence you got a vacuum/boost leak?

The gauzes job is too stop foreign objects entering the air intake duct, thus into the turbo in the envirmoment where, for instance the air filter is not fitted (For whatever reason) or the foreign objects manage to get into the air box and then pass through the air filter element, the hard plastic gauze stops it getting further.

Unless ofcourse, when you removed the gauze you may have damaged the hot wire in the Air Flow housing...?
Took the maf out of the car then removed the sensor before i removed the grill.
Cant see me knocking off a vac pipe as it seemed fine going to the dyno,its just got worse and worse the more i drive it.

t5 pete
Friday 20th August 2010, 11:04
Ive got a couple of spare maffs if you want to come over and try another one on yours.

Rnash2002
Friday 20th August 2010, 11:15
Ive got a couple of spare maffs if you want to come over and try another one on yours.
Cheers for the offer but dont think the car would make it to yours lol.
Might buy one off you,will let you know.

Yosser
Friday 20th August 2010, 11:30

Utter piffle.

The gauze/mesh/screen is there to promote laminar airflow over the sensor in order that the sensor operates in a more efficient manner.

BruceT
Friday 20th August 2010, 11:43
Utter piffle.

The gauze/mesh/screen is there to promote laminar airflow over the sensor in order that the sensor operates in a more efficient manner.

LoL :)

Maybe that aswell

Rnash2002
Sunday 22nd August 2010, 14:35
Ok swapped maf for another and problem still there,its got worse everytime ive drove the car,you put your foot down and you will be lucky to see 2psi boots in 1st gear,getting puffs of smoke out the back aswell.

BruceT
Sunday 22nd August 2010, 16:38
2-3-1 Long term fuel mixture too lean or too rich in part load stage

Sounds like a boost/vacuum leak.

Have you deleted the code, if so, how long before it returns?

Rnash2002
Sunday 22nd August 2010, 16:56
2-3-1 Long term fuel mixture too lean or too rich in part load stage

Sounds like a boost/vacuum leak.

Have you deleted the code, if so, how long before it returns?

Trust me its no vac leak,if it was it would have to be a very big one to stop me getting boost,has to be fuel related so possible reg or pump,well this is what i hope it is lol.