PDA

View Full Version : Volvo s70 2.0 t5 throttle position sensor?

ADLO1981
Tuesday 17th August 2010, 14:26
Hi

I have a 1998 (s) volvo s70 t5 , yesterday after leaving the car parked for some time i started it up and the engine managment light illuminated along with the ets light . The car went into limp mode and would not exceed 15mph. The AA attended the car and a diagnostics concluded the Electrinic throttle sensor is at fault . However the patrolman did advise me that it could also be the Throttle body?

Can anybody advise on this ? also how hard are these parts to change?

THe car has done 250,000 miles with a full volvo history and although i love it dearly i cannot justify spending bid money on the car due to its age?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Ad

Al115
Tuesday 17th August 2010, 16:20
Is it a very early ME7 car (fly-by-wire, blue Volvo badge on the front) or does it have a physical throttle cable?

You're hoping for the second.

bubba_1986
Tuesday 17th August 2010, 23:45
If it is a early ME7 as Al suggests then you have been dam lucky to get 250k out of it. If it is then the " etm " electronic throttle module will need replaced, with new gasket and inlet manifold gasket also.

Included is the software update which including labout cost about 270 odd i think, i had mine done few years back.

On other hand could be cable driven and i'll leave answer to someone else :D

ADLO1981
Wednesday 18th August 2010, 10:27
It does have blue volvo badge , it also has an ets warning light which suggests it might be electronic? sorry to be vague

Al115
Wednesday 18th August 2010, 11:43
To be sure... open the bonnet... look to see if it has a throttle cable. You're looking for a physical cable, sleeved in black plastic, that runs from the bulkhead on the driver's side round the back of the engine and then arrives at the throttle butterfly at the front passenger side of the engine. Blue badge normally indicates fly-by-wire throttle, ie no physical cable should be seen.

If no cable then it's the Electronic Throttle Module fault... very common... search on the Forum for "ETM" and you'll find it. 250k is great going, as said above, 'cos they normally fail by 100k :D

Al115
Wednesday 18th August 2010, 11:46
If ME7... ie no cable... read this:

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=27256

ADLO1981
Wednesday 18th August 2010, 13:45
Thanks all for your help!!

ADLO1981
Wednesday 18th August 2010, 13:49
I cant justify almost £500 though i only paid £800 for the car , may be time to part ex it i think for a newer volvo.

Al115
Wednesday 18th August 2010, 14:33
Difficult one. It's not worth much when "broken"... but I can see your dilema!

princepugh
Wednesday 18th August 2010, 15:11
You could try getting the s/w update and have butterfly valve cleaned at an indie. The software update may stop the limp-home mode as it stops the unit from completely losing sight of its throttle position. Cleaning the butterfly valve should help with drivability and bad idle. This might buy you some time to make a decision.

ADLO1981
Saturday 21st August 2010, 18:47
THE Car is the cable type, i have left it with a mechanic and am awaiting the outcome it has to be cheaper than the stealers.

p fandango
Saturday 21st August 2010, 19:07
THE Car is the cable type, i have left it with a mechanic and am awaiting the outcome it has to be cheaper than the stealers.
as its pre-ME7 then the throttle position sensor is easy to change. Its bolted onto the throttle body with 2x10mm bolts. Remove the throttle wheel cover & you should be able to see the little black box, its on the opposite end of the throttle butterfly to the linkage, got a plug with 3 wires to it

Al115
Saturday 21st August 2010, 20:54
I've got a spare somewhere in the garage as well.