PDA

View Full Version : Not a very good result

Rnash2002
Friday 13th August 2010, 07:40
Ok had mine on the dyno and was glad i did,it was massively under fueling its was into the 14's on full throttle.
I thought it was running around 18psi from my gauge but was only running 16psi on there computer.
Ran 265.9 bhp @ fly at 16psi,then ran 265.5 bhp @ fly at 13 psi lol,so was alittle happy with that,chap said it would make around 270/280 is at 13psi with the fueling sorted out.
Ok i have a few questions,would a bad fuel pump cause the lack of fuel? also if i installed the standard volvo boost solenoid would the ecu try and cut back the boost if it detected not enough fuel?
Just wanted to say as well dyno tech were great and have a 4wd dyno just installed in Ripley.

Al115
Friday 13th August 2010, 08:15
would a bad fuel pump cause the lack of fuel?

Yes. At least, that was my problem back in 2003 when I had my first T5 on the rollers :D

Check pressure at the fuel rail during the run?

Rnash2002
Friday 13th August 2010, 08:25
Yes. At least, that was my problem back in 2003 when I had my first T5 on the rollers :D

Check pressure at the fuel rail during the run?
I dont think they had the means to do that,was only there for a power run,glad i asked them to check the fuel now.
Will have to replace fuel pump then.

Al115
Friday 13th August 2010, 09:18
Cheap and easy fix if that's what it turns out to be! Walbro and done :)

p fandango
Friday 13th August 2010, 11:00
also be a good idea to improve the wiring for the pump as its a bit on the low current side. Wire a relay into the factory wiring then run a thicker gauge wire direct & as short as possible

smithy
Friday 13th August 2010, 13:38
get the injectors cleaned and change the fuel filterand then get pressure checked on fuel rail before changing things mate.i know that the me7 blues ran at 1.3 bar in my v70 2.5t with t35 hybrid fitted on that .

JelT5
Friday 13th August 2010, 14:35
Agree with the others- get a Walbro 255 and clean the injectors- works wonders mate :)

t5_monkey
Friday 13th August 2010, 15:21
just out of interest - at 265 at the fly, what was your power at the wheels ? :)

Wonder if a Walbro would help for mine... all the other posts I've seen suggest the stock fuel pump is good up to 300bhp plus?

BruceT
Friday 13th August 2010, 15:34
just out of interest - at 265 at the fly, what was your power at the wheels ? :)

Wonder if a Walbro would help for mine... all the other posts I've seen suggest the stock fuel pump is good up to 300bhp plus?

250-255 on average i'd guess

Rnash2002
Friday 13th August 2010, 15:48

Dont think he does wheel figures as he doesnt have to let the car slow down on its own to get the % to calculate them,was talking to him about how it works but most of the info went way over my head lol.
Stock pump will probably be good for 300 ish bhp but i would say mine hasnt been changed since car was new so 177k is pushing it abit lol.
Just hope its the pump so i can get all sorted for Pod,if not them im going to have to pull out of the meet.

smithy
Friday 13th August 2010, 16:04
nnoooooooo dont pull out

Rnash2002
Saturday 14th August 2010, 11:58
See if it was the relay would it still run the pump or not at all and wouldnt start the car?

Al115
Saturday 14th August 2010, 14:44
He's not saying the relay's not working. Just that the wiring could be better.

p fandango
Saturday 14th August 2010, 14:54
See if it was the relay would it still run the pump or not at all and wouldnt start the car?

He's not saying the relay's not working. Just that the wiring could be better.
sorry i didn't even realise you were referring to my post. Alistair is right, if you remove the terminals from the pump & wire a 4 post relay in instead you can then use better (thicker & higher current) wiring for your pump

Tomcat
Saturday 14th August 2010, 15:24
I doubt it would be the fuel pump not being upto it, my R ran 279bhp with the standard pump. Try getting your injectors cleaned, change the fuel filter (if it's not already been done) and then have it re checked before you start shelling out on Walbro's. Are you running a remap or an MBC?

Rnash2002
Saturday 14th August 2010, 16:38
I doubt it would be the fuel pump not being upto it, my R ran 279bhp with the standard pump. Try getting your injectors cleaned, change the fuel filter (if it's not already been done) and then have it re checked before you start shelling out on Walbro's. Are you running a remap or an MBC?
Both,gona change the regulator and the fuel filter then get the injectors cleaned.
Its mapped to run 18/19 psi on blues.

Al115
Saturday 14th August 2010, 16:49
My fuel pump WORKED on my T5 just fine... it was when I was tuning it that it ran out of puff at the top end. It was old (original item with the car so 4 years on it at the time) and supplied fuel OK under normal driving conditions, but couldn't keep up at the level I was asking it to supply fuel "foot down".

smithy
Saturday 14th August 2010, 18:30
my v70 had a standard fuel pump on that it ran my blue injectors just fine at 1.3 bar.

Al115
Saturday 14th August 2010, 19:46
It's not a question of the stock fuel pump being man enough. It's whether his is shot or not... :)

smithy
Saturday 14th August 2010, 22:09
It's not a question of the stock fuel pump being man enough. It's whether his is shot or not... :)

thats very true but he needs to get a fuel pressure check done first before saying the pump is nackered.

Al115
Saturday 14th August 2010, 22:58
Yes, agree. And that's what I said in Post 2 :)

Rnash2002
Saturday 14th August 2010, 23:32
Ok going to cover all bases and fit uprated fuel pump,fuel filter,fuel reg then get injectors cleaned.
Then will take to the rollers with a standard ecu aswell just incase its the map.
Lol not to much to do before pod but will try my best to sort it out,just seems strange to me that its running that lean as i would have thought a big bang would have happend with running at 2 different 1/4 miles and giving it a good blat on the roads every now and then.Maybe down to the solid internals or ive just been very lucky.

smithy
Sunday 15th August 2010, 00:06
try hlm for a power run hamish might be able to tell you why and give you an idea to sort it .just an idea mate

Rnash2002
Sunday 15th August 2010, 08:18
try hlm for a power run hamish might be able to tell you why and give you an idea to sort it .just an idea mate

Would love to but would cost in fuel to get there as its not on the door step lol,gona just replace for peace of mind aswell,also if i do decided to keep her then will be good for me.
Has to one of them things,cant see it being the map.

RT MECHANICS
Sunday 15th August 2010, 08:49
The Walbro 255 is a very good upgrade the cars are getting old now and many cars we see are in need of a new one especially uprated cars they cost approx £85

Russ

Rnash2002
Sunday 15th August 2010, 12:44
Another quick question,if the car was running super lean wouldnt it put the engine light on?,i got the light come on after the rolling road for long term fuel trim at part load (231)
Just to add aswell,if i had a vac leak would that cause me to run lean?
Just thinking maybe they have pulled a pipe off my mistake and left it off while running her?

Rnash2002
Tuesday 17th August 2010, 11:01
Ok dyno sheet showing fuel and power.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/rnash2002/img008.jpg

t5_monkey
Tuesday 17th August 2010, 12:49
something doesn't look right - how come are you getting pretty much peak power at 4000rpm then flat-lining to 6000?

I would have thought with a KO24 you'd be looking at 300+ at the crank correctly set up.

http://i795.photobucket.com/albums/yy236/s40t5_ben/dyno_reading.jpg

<that's my dyno chart - power @ wheels, bit thin at the top end due to the small turbo but you can't argue with 100bhp low lag horses@the wheels at 2000 rpm for day to day driving >

Thought power curves were supposed to be a bit smoother like a mountain, I guess if you're just not getting enough fuel that would limit the power pretty comprehensively?

Volvostorm
Tuesday 17th August 2010, 19:17
I'm interested, as I'm using a similar set-up to yourself very soon. How much boost are you running? Your still on standard rods ain't ya? I know boost levels isn't everything, and hopefully you can see some better figures soon.

Rnash2002
Tuesday 17th August 2010, 20:17
I'm interested, as I'm using a similar set-up to yourself very soon. How much boost are you running? Your still on standard rods ain't ya? I know boost levels isn't everything, and hopefully you can see some better figures soon.

Well i think theres good power to be had from the turbo with the right fueling lol.
Heres the power sheet and boost.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/rnash2002/img009.jpg

As you can the red figure was with the boost turned down to 13psi not a bad result with the major lean fuel,so would say around 290 ish at 1 bar boost maybe.
And yes ive got a standard bottem end.

Volvostorm
Tuesday 17th August 2010, 20:33
Thats where mine and yours will differ, I've got rods and pistons to go in mine. I could run 1.5bar on mine (hopefully)

p fandango
Tuesday 17th August 2010, 21:17
Thats where mine and yours will differ, I've got rods and pistons to go in mine. I could run 1.5bar on mine (hopefully)
what pistons you using, i'm thinking of doing a 2.5 block when i get round to carrying the engine build on

Jamest5r
Tuesday 17th August 2010, 22:01

What rods and pistons mate?? and how much if you dont mind me asking, ive been looking at RSI one's from the states, about $1200 without the import tax etc, which im worried about.

Cheers

Volvostorm
Tuesday 17th August 2010, 22:10
What rods and pistons mate?? and how much if you dont mind me asking, ive been looking at RSI one's from the states, about $1200 without the import tax etc, which im worried about.

Cheers

I think my pistons are from RSi, and possibly the rods too, very well built. I didn't pay $1200, I got them off another forum for £500 :D

Have you seen these on ebay? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Conrod-Volvo-850-T5-C70-V70-2-3-Pleuel-connecting-rod-/150392774342?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM

Jamest5r
Thursday 19th August 2010, 00:40
I think my pistons are from RSi, and possibly the rods too, very well built. I didn't pay $1200, I got them off another forum for £500 :D
Have you seen these on ebay? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Conrod-Volvo-850-T5-C70-V70-2-3-Pleuel-connecting-rod-/150392774342?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM

Sorry for the delay in replying mate been working...tell me more about the above deal if you can, im not a computer buff and dont go on any other forums, prefer to stay on the dark side lol.

smithy
Thursday 19th August 2010, 14:15
Well i think theres good power to be had from the turbo with the right fueling lol.
Heres the power sheet and boost.

As you can the red figure was with the boost turned down to 13psi not a bad result with the major lean fuel,so would say around 290 ish at 1 bar boost maybe.
And yes ive got a standard bottem end.

something dont seem right with your graph if you was running 15.9 afrs on full boost your engine would of gone bang and also you would not have pulled a 14s quater.i would get it on another roller with a fuel pressure test done to check pressure whilst on boost.

Rnash2002
Thursday 19th August 2010, 15:03
something dont seem right with your graph if you was running 15.9 afrs on full boost your engine would of gone bang and also you would not have pulled a 14s quater.i would get it on another roller with a fuel pressure test done to check pressure whilst on boost.
Might have been the maf playing up,also there boost reading was like 2 psi lower than my gauges.

Volvostorm
Thursday 19th August 2010, 21:34
Sorry for the delay in replying mate been working...tell me more about the above deal if you can, im not a computer buff and dont go on any other forums, prefer to stay on the dark side lol.

Wasn't a deal mate, was just being sold, he only had the one set

jimathan
Thursday 19th August 2010, 23:41
Everyone overlooks the importance of the injectors. Its not just about the nozzles’ getting clogged up, as they get old the anvils get sticky and they cant respond fast enough at high rpm. This is one of the reasons for power curves flattening out at the top end.
Uping the fuel pressure or mapping for longer pulse width on the injectors wont help if they cant respond in time.

Rnash2002
Saturday 28th August 2010, 08:44
Ok 2 graphs from yesterdays run.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/rnash2002/img010.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/rnash2002/img011.jpg

Also the other 2 linked so people can see them more clearly.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/rnash2002/img008.jpg

S70T5Chris
Saturday 28th August 2010, 10:11
What remap are you using?