PDA

View Full Version : automatic trans problem

scooter
Thursday 5th August 2010, 17:06
I done a service the other week gearbox and engine the car runs sweet as a not until it is out for about 30minutes plus (as soon as it is warmed up) and then the car struggles to select gear 2-3 roughly. It feels like it is holding back then the revs go nuts high low etc
I used the right auto box fluid i triple checked to make sure but when the car has just started the next day good as gold until 30 minutes any advice I did have auto transmission service required but as i say it has been done connected the computer to the car and it mentioned gear 2 & 3 ratio (if that makes any sense)

HSS786
Thursday 5th August 2010, 18:01
Im having exactly the same problems as you Scooter, very noticeable when the car is driven to operating temperature,

scooter
Thursday 5th August 2010, 19:46
I am just wondering when i did the gear box fluid change maybe i didn't get all the old fluid out

t5 stealth
Thursday 5th August 2010, 20:01
have you checked that theres anough fluid in it now....
checked properly with engine running etc

scooter
Thursday 5th August 2010, 20:18
I am going to recheck it in the morning to make sure i have checked it a few times and all seems fine

t5 stealth
Thursday 5th August 2010, 20:31
I am going to recheck it in the morning to make sure i have checked it a few times and all seems fine

good luck,hope its just a level problem.

scooter
Thursday 5th August 2010, 20:42
good luck,hope its just a level problem.

I went out there and took it for a spin 100% no problems gear change etc smooth as you like it just seems to be when it is up to temperature after 30minutes or so it has problems with gear selection

scooter
Friday 6th August 2010, 00:17
would think it was a water cooling problem

cookie
Friday 6th August 2010, 10:57
Did you use Genuine Volvo Fluid, and flush?

could be low level, Did you refill Via the dipstick tube, and drain intially via via sump bolt (then refill with same amount as removed, then flush a litre or so a time from top cooler hose, and refill again via dipstick?)

There is also a software update and adaption that I think were applicable to your box, and when flushed IIRC it needs reset via VCT to tell it fluid has been replaced

v70torslanda
Friday 6th August 2010, 23:06
After much deep and profound brain things inside my head I have come to the conclusion that you are suffering from a vacuum leak and Dr John says try clamping the vac line that runs down to the front engine mounting then go for your half hour drive.

If this stops the problem then you need to find the vac leak or change the engine mounting or both . . .

scooter
Sunday 15th August 2010, 21:39
tried all thanks for the help every one another question does the transmission have a filter in it I have read yes and no from alot of different sites now confused

mds
Tuesday 17th August 2010, 08:56
If your Transmission is 5 speed then it doesn't have a filter, however the early 5 speed transmission's did suffer from a sticking or leaking B4 solenoid. The symptoms are flaring between 2nd-3rd Gear changes.

Not as scary as it sounds Volvo sell a "Piston Repair Kit" for a bout £15 and it is a fiddle but not difficult job to change it. There is a lot of "how to" information on here search for B4 Solenoid or Google it.

Hope it helps

scooter
Monday 23rd August 2010, 17:40
found the problem like in previous post i found (volvo don't make fluids) I have 10l of atf fluid made by lucas (which is brand I have used for years) before I done it I phoned my local motor factors and asked is it the right stuff (he said yes who ever is was) car played funny buggers as you all know. So I went to the motors factors in person and spoke to the oil guy and he phoned his volvo friend checked online etc and found out that the atf fluid was for previous model of volvo so after internet, phone calls etc we found the right stuff made by comma part number (MVATF5L) now the car is running smooth as you like better than before

mds
Tuesday 24th August 2010, 13:39
Glad it turned out to be so simple, lucky you didn't run the box to long on the wrong ATF.
I did some research on the Comma ATF last year it is JWS 3309 compliant and the price was very attractive but on talking to our local Toyota Dealer he said he would match their price. As Toyota are the biggest share holder in Aisin Warner who make the box, I brought from them.
It really does pay to shop around Vauxhall, SAAB, Toyota dealers as well as the Motor Factors.

scooter
Sunday 5th September 2010, 01:28
the car has started again a question for yourselves the oil atf i was told was mvatf but i went to comma's website and they said after putting in reg they stated comma ASW does anybody have any comments or used this fluid

mds
Monday 6th September 2010, 16:54
Got a neighbour who flushed his 2008 D5 (63k first flush) last month using Comma ASW1L (JWS3309) he has covered 4800 miles since the flush (private hire at Gatwick)
He has just told me no problems so far, but time will tell, cost him just over a £100 for 15 litres delivered.

HammyUK
Monday 6th September 2010, 17:22
If it is the B4 solenoid - I have one in the garage that was never used still in the box.

maceastern
Thursday 9th September 2010, 09:49
i had one which had the same trouble turned out a gasket had gone in the box get the box pressure tested at a gearbox repair place if its this it will get worse hope it turns out ok mac ps what colour was the old fluid you removed

scooter
Monday 13th September 2010, 18:10
If it is the B4 solenoid - I have one in the garage that was never used still in the box.

hammy i have sent you email thanks