PDA

View Full Version : ABS light on

p0xy
Tuesday 3rd August 2010, 16:46
abs light is keep comin on but now its mostly on :s.. when it was off just before it came on when i put my foot on the brake i got a judder when i put my foot on the brake then it came on... took the car today and they told me its the drivers side rear abs sensor? looked all over for one and the prices aint cheap... anyone know where they sell them cheap? or is it the dreaded abs unit :s...

cheers

jason850t5
Tuesday 3rd August 2010, 18:45
are you goin off just a fault code or have you checked all other possibilities aswell. Like mud in the abs ring, a snapped abs ring, a break in the wiring to the connector or the connector itself.

p0xy
Tuesday 3rd August 2010, 21:21
just goin off the fault code mate... but gonna check the wiring first, whats the abs ring?

nobananas
Tuesday 3rd August 2010, 21:24
When I changed my rear abs sensor they came as a joined pair so you had to have both sides, hence why they are so expensive.

Flatout Phil
Tuesday 3rd August 2010, 21:31
When I changed my rear abs sensor they came as a joined pair so you had to have both sides, hence why they are so expensive.

When I had the ABS fault on the old T5 I had a whole new rear set of sensors fitted - which was a total waste of beans. It was the old, old issue of dry joints in the ECU - false positive on the fault reader saying the rear right (I seem to recall) sensor was dickey.
Cheaper to fix the ABS ECU than the sensors.

walter leever
Tuesday 3rd August 2010, 21:31
I think your abs module needs some soldering(common fault,age of the car)

gr,walter

nobananas
Tuesday 3rd August 2010, 22:13
When I had the ABS fault on the old T5 I had a whole new rear set of sensors fitted - which was a total waste of beans. It was the old, old issue of dry joints in the ECU - false positive on the fault reader saying the rear right (I seem to recall) sensor was dickey.
Cheaper to fix the ABS ECU than the sensors.

I'd already re-soldered my ecu the year before. I had to check the pulses of all the wheels with a multimeter to identify the O/S/R to be at fault. I did cheat a bit though, I seperated the two sensors at the multiplug (under the boot floor trim) and just replaced the O/S one. The N/S then went 6 months later !

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 3rd August 2010, 22:21
I still repair ABS if you like. The speed sensor ring is a castlated ring that the sensor uses to detect the speed of wheel. I have just replaced a cracked one on mine (had a tooth missing)

jason850t5
Wednesday 4th August 2010, 00:46
just goin off the fault code mate... but gonna check the wiring first, whats the abs ring?

they are metal rings on the inside of the hub, with lots of holes in to tell the sensor if the wheel is moving or stationary. an unlikely scenario for them to be faulty as they are well shielded but i had the same problem as you with THREE wheel sensor fault codes. i did a visual check as a matter of course when changing the discs and pads but everything was fine. so i got a complete ABS pump and ecu module off an s70, for two quid from a scrap yard and changed the lot. Easier in my eyes than changing the ecu on its own as its a bit awkward to get to the screws, just means you have to bleed the brakes on all four corners. luckily this solved the problem.

Hope everything goes alright.

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 4th August 2010, 10:57
Found a picture of the sensor ring - on the outboard end of the CV joint. You'll find it just inside the bell of the brake disk. Over time they can rust or if the brakes/hub gets hot they can split. I had a tooth missing out of my Front O/S one.
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y197/KaminariAndachi/SpeedSensorRing.jpg

http://www.elise-shop.com/images/large/CVA_LRG.jpg

p0xy
Wednesday 4th August 2010, 21:03
cheers for all the answers, why do i always buy a car thats a pain in the ass lol..

850t5
Friday 6th August 2010, 11:56
I had a ABS light on too. Took the bulb out, now no more light! Hey presto lol

Wobbly Dave
Saturday 7th August 2010, 01:06
not really addressing the problem though is it?

p0xy
Friday 13th August 2010, 07:45
ok took the abs unit out and resoldered it and it worked for a few days :(... it came back on yesterday intermittent so took it off lastnight and resoldered it.. now all im waitin for is the rain to stop grrrrrr lol