PDA

View Full Version : New S80, soon to be with a V8!!! :)

Andy
Thursday 7th July 2005, 12:15
** Copy and pasted from Auto Express Website **

I seen this article in this weeks mag and the new S80 looks the business

Exclusive pictures in this week's mag will give the likes of Audi, BMW and Mercedes a shock. Not only does the new Volvo S80 sport a bolder look, but to boost its appeal further there's a four-wheel-drive model, while a V8-powered flagship is expected in the range, too.

And engineers at the firm have paid particular attention to the handling to ensure the newcomer is as rewarding to drive as its key German rivals.

The new design will please fans of the brand. Trademark styling cues include the stepped rear-quarter panel and tail-light design. Up front, the family grille is mounted in a smooth angled bumper, while the sculpted headlamps come with classy clear lens caps. Door-mounted indicator repeaters complete the upmarket new look.

However, there are more far-reaching changes under the skin. A Volvo spokesman told Auto Express: "Our engineers have worked hard to ensure the new machine handles well, so it will appeal to keen drivers, and also provides a refined ride."

A powerful V8 engine could also be available in the range for the first
time, with the 315bhp 4.4-litre powerplant from the XC90 off-roader the most likely candidate. "We've gone to the trouble of developing a V8, so it's reasonable to assume that it will feature in other models," admitted the spokesman. In traditional Volvo style, the compact
unit would be mounted transversely rather than longitudinally.

The most powerful version of the existing S80 is the 272bhp 3.0-litre T6, so a V8 variant would really take the
fight to the competition. The flagship could be available with a 4x4 set-up to rival that of the Audi A6 quattro.

The spokesman added: "It's still very early days, but we do offer four-wheel-drive versions of other models in our line-up." A V8-powered S80 with all-wheel drive is already available in the US market. However, this variant has never been offered in showrooms here, and as a result the big Volvo has always struggled to compete with top-of-the-range German offerings.

The new S80 is expected to arrive in the UK in summer next year, with prices starting from around £24,000.

I will try and find some pictures of it online, unless someone else can help.

Cheers

philt6
Thursday 7th July 2005, 14:42
If i remember correctly there is more info on the V8 model in an earlier edition of Drive Magazine

Andy
Thursday 7th July 2005, 16:02
If i remember correctly there is more info on the V8 model in an earlier edition of Drive Magazine

I don't read drive so haven't seen the article. Was it any good?

philt6
Thursday 7th July 2005, 16:04
Not Bad i'll see if i can find it and post it on here

Andy
Thursday 7th July 2005, 16:11
Not Bad i'll see if i can find it and post it on here

:D did it have pictures? I like the look of it and a V8 would be awesome!

philt6
Thursday 7th July 2005, 16:43
Sure it i'll try and copy the pics as well but i'm not to good at PC things

philt6
Friday 8th July 2005, 20:39
Just been looking round volvo america and found an S80 T6 AWD has any one else heard of this

Tomcat
Friday 8th July 2005, 21:07
Ooooh I'm getting all goosebumpy!, anybody fancy doing the first engine conversion on a T5?, V8/V6 anybody?.

After_Shock
Friday 8th July 2005, 22:34
I mentioned the S80 V8 on here a couple of months back as they told us about it on a training course, will be an AWD car to compete more with Audi and BM/Merc, also it should premier the new straight 6 engines that will be in most of the range.

The pics in auto express magazine this week may not be totally accurate as I was told its going to have some unusual style LED lights on the back, did ask if they were going to be maserati boomerang style but didnt get a response!

Its also going to have an S40 style floating centre console inside but of a higher quality so will be different inside in its class and the starting price will put it well below the competition aswell.

madness
Saturday 9th July 2005, 09:25
dont hold your breath as the v8 we use isnt all that !!
it doesnt sould like a v8 and I think it is a waste of a v8 with only 315bhp

After_Shock
Saturday 9th July 2005, 17:30
Cant see it being a big seller if a seller at all, will purely be for smoothness rather than sportyness and as madness says the noise will be well shielded unfortunately.