PDA

View Full Version : not low enough

jason850t5
Tuesday 3rd August 2010, 12:56
I have my car lowered 40mm but i want it lower. other than buying coilovers i cant seem to find anyone who manufactures springs which lower the car more than 40mm. i have considered cutting the springs but this can only be done to the rear. i have also thought about cutting the fronts and heating them up and bending the end coil so they will can be seated back in the struts, but i think this will weaken them too much.

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. thanks jason

t5_monkey
Tuesday 3rd August 2010, 13:51
I have my car lowered 40mm but i want it lower. other than buying coilovers i cant seem to find anyone who manufactures springs which lower the car more than 40mm. i have considered cutting the springs but this can only be done to the rear. i have also thought about cutting the fronts and heating them up and bending the end coil so they will can be seated back in the struts, but i think this will weaken them too much.

I think there's some places that can temper the springs properly... so they can be shorter etc...

Someone will post up the link on here I'm sure, I can't recall it.

PaulZX
Tuesday 3rd August 2010, 17:16
just chop em and learn how to pray.... it's working for the gubberment......

jason850t5
Tuesday 3rd August 2010, 18:15
just chop em and learn how to pray.... it's working for the gubberment......

i would but the coils get smaller at each end on the fronts.

jason850t5
Tuesday 3rd August 2010, 18:25
also how wide can i reasonably go regarding the wheels. i am going to widen some steelies, but dont know by how much i dare.

p fandango
Tuesday 3rd August 2010, 19:17

fill the boot (& backside) with ceramic floor tiles

http://img837.imageshack.us/img837/9079/funny8.jpg

http://img841.imageshack.us/img841/9455/funny9.jpg

jason850t5
Tuesday 3rd August 2010, 19:23
haha yeah the back is easy tho ive achieved the same look with old set of springs for a laugh. cut three coils off with grinder. shame it cant be done with fronts.

Tomcat
Tuesday 3rd August 2010, 19:24
What about airbags?.... Or maybe converting the front struts to coilovers using a weld on kit, They're dirt cheap and once done the springs are only £15 each, look on Rallyspares website..

jason850t5
Wednesday 4th August 2010, 21:24
thanks for all your replies. think im gonna try and source some slip on coilovers for my spare set of struts. just experimenting so dont want to spend a fortune.

Shortbusdriver1969
Wednesday 18th August 2010, 12:45
I'd say dont go to low, as if you ever get a council like the one I have here in York,
they have a love of speed bumps going too low you'd never get over them Lol

T4_Al
Wednesday 18th August 2010, 20:47
Dont FK Automotive offer a 60/40mm spring set?