PDA

View Full Version : engine specs and tolerances

leet5r
Sunday 1st August 2010, 23:32
areet lads what is the spec of the blok and what is the tolerance before it needs a rebore or hone etc, av heard you cant grind the crank , if this is the case will i need another crank , the engine that am buildin came from a running car with 200k on
cheers

Alan M
Monday 2nd August 2010, 17:40
Get a haynes manual and that will show all the info you require.

smithy
Tuesday 3rd August 2010, 14:03
areet lads what is the spec of the blok and what is the tolerance before it needs a rebore or hone etc, av heard you cant grind the crank , if this is the case will i need another crank , the engine that am buildin came from a running car with 200k on
cheers

yes you can grind the crank mate and bore upto 82mm piston size but these are custom 1s

danny-R
Tuesday 3rd August 2010, 15:34
I've got a Gay-nes manual here lee..... It is technically sold mate but seeing how he hasn't paid for it yet, you can lend it till he does.

leet5r
Tuesday 3rd August 2010, 17:25
I've got a Gay-nes manual here lee..... It is technically sold mate but seeing how he hasn't paid for it yet, you can lend it till he does.

let me know dan m8 as if he doesnt buy it a will lol

nobananas
Tuesday 3rd August 2010, 22:17
Must admit in the interests of time I cheated a bit when I rebuilt my lump and sent the block off to be mic-ed up and checked by the machine shop we use. It all came back okay so I just had it glaze busted and the crank journals polished and crank balanced.

leet5r
Tuesday 3rd August 2010, 23:38
Must admit in the interests of time I cheated a bit when I rebuilt my lump and sent the block off to be mic-ed up and checked by the machine shop we use. It all came back okay so I just had it glaze busted and the crank journals polished and crank balanced.

did it need any speaial parts m8

nobananas
Wednesday 4th August 2010, 19:13
did it need any speaial parts m8

The only bits I was worried about was the little ends as I was mixing 850 rods with s70 pistons but they were fine. I did rebuild the whole thing with new big end and main shells and new rings (all gen Volvo) and obviously all the gaskets and seals were replaced but it weren't cheap ! In hindsight I might have looked for a complete engine to drop in but you know how it goes, once you start something you keep spending till it's done ! I might be tempted to look and see if they do Total Seal piston rings for them if I ever had to do it again as I doubt they would be much dearer then genuine.

leet5r
Wednesday 4th August 2010, 19:45
cheers m8 , mine keeps gettin a few set backs like me been in and out of work lol. a do hope to finish it before a get bored of the volvo , which i must say has been the longest av had a car ever , apart form the rs turbo which was a weekend toy
cheers