PDA

View Full Version : 850 brake upgrade ????

frostytel
Sunday 1st August 2010, 20:26
Hi all ... got my self a 95 850 t5 se ..... and quite frankly the brakes are poo .. wot upgrades are available and what if anything needs doing ... are there any direct swaps from ..say an 850 r that bolt on ... any help greatly appreciated

Tel

Volvostorm
Sunday 1st August 2010, 20:39
The favourite is to fit 302mm discs and carriers off the later T5's (Can't remember when they appeared!) and a set of braided hoses.

gotmeaT-5
Sunday 1st August 2010, 20:58
I've fitted brake discs of the V70R finding they're a whole lot better than the stock T-5 brakes, however, still not quite as good as I want so thinking after the MoT I will be fitting Porsche Brakes

frostytel
Monday 2nd August 2010, 12:36
The favourite is to fit 302mm discs and carriers off the later T5's (Can't remember when they appeared!) and a set of braided hoses.

so get the 302 discs and associated carriers (are they a direct fit ?) but retain the original calipers ? .... and would they fit inside the 16 inch wheels or would i have to increase those as well ? .. whats the largest tyres/ wheel rim size that will fit and what offset is best .. sorry for all the ? but am new to the volvo ... been working on my soarer for the past year lol

Thanks ALL Terry

cookie
Monday 2nd August 2010, 12:49
You would need either 17" or 16" from a S/V70 T5 (look the same as the 850 ones)

Carriers and Disc's are all available from Rufe, Most people complain about brakes, yet fit cheap pads/Disc's (not necessarily ££ cheap, but Quality Cheap) and leave 15 year old brake fluid in system

gen Volvo Pads and Discs (302's) ATE super Blue or similar (I used Motul RBF600), Braided Hoses, and brakes should be fine, beyond that there are various options, but unless running major power IMHO are little more than an expensive cosmetic upgrade.

frostytel
Monday 2nd August 2010, 18:50
You would need either 17" or 16" from a S/V70 T5 (look the same as the 850 ones)

Carriers and Disc's are all available from Rufe, Most people complain about brakes, yet fit cheap pads/Disc's (not necessarily ££ cheap, but Quality Cheap) and leave 15 year old brake fluid in system

gen Volvo Pads and Discs (302's) ATE super Blue or similar (I used Motul RBF600), Braided Hoses, and brakes should be fine, beyond that there are various options, but unless running major power IMHO are little more than an expensive cosmetic upgrade.

cheers for that ... i take it there are no issues with seals when going fully synthetic then !!! .... so if i have it right I keep the calipers and just change the wheels, discs and carriers for the pads oh and the pads lol