PDA

View Full Version : 850R head issues

Giles
Friday 30th July 2010, 22:22
Hi all,

As some of you may know, my head gasket blew and warped the head. The head was sent away to a machine shop in Brierley Hill or Kingswinford (not sure of the name) who said it was warped but they could fix it. After 8 weeks, the head came back looking new. I saw the head and was advised by the mechanic that 2 valves were replaced (I could only see one new valve and the reason I know that is that it was flat (not concave like the rest) and darker than the rest - I thought this was odd but didn't question why).

Head was reassembled to the car and there was a ticking noise coming from the head. Was told this will go after a while - it did not. It went back and the mechanics must have poured oil over it to quieten it down which worked for 300 miles - then the ticking came back.........was advised to check my oil level and coolant level which I thought was strange seeing as full service had just been done 300 miles previously but did and found them to be ok. Took the car back for which the mechanic sent the whole car to the machine shop and said "fix it".

Turns out they had machined the camshaft wrong........I still have not got the car back and havn't asked if they have replaced this wrongly machined camshaft or simply 'fixed' it.

Question is - what damage can be done from superheating the engine and warping the head? And can a wrongly machined camshaft be remachined or will a replacement be necessary? And can an odd flat valve be OK for use?

Basically, this work cost me £1,150 so dont wanna settle for a remachined camshaft if that's all they have done - is it safe to remachine it is what i am asking, and should the replaced valve look different from the rest?

Thanks,
Giles.

Volvostorm
Friday 30th July 2010, 22:41
I would say the machined camshaft will need replacing with another one, the flat valve I wouldn't have thought it would cause problems.

Giles
Friday 30th July 2010, 22:43
I would say the machined camshaft will need replacing with another one, the flat valve I wouldn't have thought it would cause problems.

I'd have thought so too, but need evidence (I am a space auditor ;) ) as to why.......

fireclown
Friday 30th July 2010, 23:26
why have they machined the camshaft. warped head is normally a skim and valve seats re-cut.

Giles
Friday 30th July 2010, 23:32
why have they machined the camshaft. warped head is normally a skim and valve seats re-cut.

this is exactly what i am asking........why indeed.......

nobananas
Friday 30th July 2010, 23:35

If the head is badly warped a skim will only straighten the face, the cam bearings may still be out of true which normally means line boring the journals, not sure why they machined the camshaft. I would have thought having a replacement head rebuilt would have been a cheaper option though Giles ?

Giles
Friday 30th July 2010, 23:38
If the head is badly warped a skim will only straighten the face, the cam bearings may still be out of true which normally means line boring the journals, not sure why they machined the camshaft. I would have thought having a replacement head rebuilt would have been a cheaper option though Giles ?

ffs I know...they went ahead and did the work on my dad's say so......I had already sourced a head, fully rebuilt for £310........from Nigel White at Aston Martin.........something dont seem right and i need to get opinions as to why the camshaft was machined........too late for 'what if', just cost me £1,200....

nobananas
Friday 30th July 2010, 23:47
ffs I know...they went ahead and did the work on my dad's say so......I had already sourced a head, fully rebuilt for £310........from Nigel White at Aston Martin.........something dont seem right and i need to get opinions as to why the camshaft was machined........too late for 'what if', just cost me £1,200....

Sorry mate, didn't know the full story ! I wonder if they line bored the head then had to metal spray the cam and machine it to match the oversize cam journals, a lot of arsing about though !

Giles
Friday 30th July 2010, 23:47
a quick google search has found this http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_can_you_tell_if_your_engine_is_warped_after_bl owing_a_headgasket_and_if_it_is_worth_repairing

Giles
Friday 30th July 2010, 23:50
Sorry mate, didn't know the full story ! I wonder if they line bored the head then had to metal spray the cam and machine it to match the oversize cam journals, a lot of arsing about though !

Not having a go, just annoyed. It has been back 3 times now and and i dont know the outcome, plus it has cost me £1,200...........but this included them fitting a radiator, head gasket, removal of head, re-fitting, machine shop costs etc......

nobananas
Friday 30th July 2010, 23:53
Not having a go, just annoyed. It has been back 3 times now and and i dont know the outcome, plus it has cost me £1,200...........but this included them fitting a radiator, head gasket, removal of head, re-fitting, machine shop costs etc......

Can you talk to the machine shop directly about it ? It is your cylinder head and you are paying for it after all.

smithy
Saturday 31st July 2010, 00:36
i would be hoping mad giles i hope you get your car back soon.im surprised they didnot put another motor in for that price and you would of had it back in no time .

Giles
Saturday 31st July 2010, 09:48
i would be hoping mad giles i hope you get your car back soon.im surprised they didnot put another motor in for that price and you would of had it back in no time .

tell me about it.......

@nobananas - I want to speak to them but dont even know who's doing it! Could be some back-alley clown outfit for all i know - sounds like it after all - will ask today the full situation, get the name and find out exactly what's going on......

Giles
Wednesday 4th August 2010, 21:57
woohooo....got car back today. Bit of 'misinformation.....'. Was the valve seals (?) not done properly - something to do with 2 shims and they only put 1 in....??????? they have completely rebuilt it again and it is now .... well..... well chuffed.......

fireclown
Wednesday 4th August 2010, 22:05
not sure where the shims are. but at least you got it sorted out. n1.

nobananas
Thursday 5th August 2010, 21:20
woohooo....got car back today. Bit of 'misinformation.....'. Was the valve seals (?) not done properly - something to do with 2 shims and they only put 1 in....??????? they have completely rebuilt it again and it is now .... well..... well chuffed.......

2 shims ??? sounds like they left a collet out !

Giles
Thursday 5th August 2010, 21:38
2 shims ??? sounds like they left a collet out !

hmm.....someone else said that.......

Giles
Thursday 5th August 2010, 21:49
WOW - f****g hell !!!!!! My car was either absolute ****e before or phenominal now........fast as anything, lighting up the tyres in 3rd and just.....wow.......even tho today I found a 14" screwdriver resting on the exhaust/gearbox.......do all mechanics do that?

nobananas
Thursday 5th August 2010, 22:38
WOW - f****g hell !!!!!! My car was either absolute ****e before or phenominal now........fast as anything, lighting up the tyres in 3rd and just.....wow.......even tho today I found a 14" screwdriver resting on the exhaust/gearbox.......do all mechanics do that?

LOL, not all of them (the pays cr@p, can't afford to give tools away as free gifts !)

Giles
Thursday 5th August 2010, 22:54
LOL, not all of them (the pays cr@p, can't afford to give tools away as free gifts !)

Just fished it outta my car......snapon ;)

nobananas
Thursday 5th August 2010, 23:01
Just fished it outta my car......snapon ;)

They must get paid better than I do LOL !

Giles
Thursday 5th August 2010, 23:04
They must get paid better than I do LOL !

Where do you work then? Kwikfit?

nobananas
Friday 6th August 2010, 20:50
Where do you work then? Kwikfit?

Sir you have insulted me LOL !, no just an independent, unless you give in to 'main stealer' employment wages across the board for spanner chimps is pretty poor.