PDA

View Full Version : Heater matrix bypass

meffs
Friday 30th July 2010, 21:50
Has anyone ever done this?

I need to do a temporary fix to get me back to the Uk.

Cheers Meffs

http://i895.photobucket.com/albums/ac160/meffs/IMG_0163.jpg

Can anyone tell me how to dissconect the inlet outlet pipes from the bulkhead which lead to the heater matrix shown in above picture?

http://i895.photobucket.com/albums/ac160/meffs/IMG_0164-2-1.jpg

Reason I need to do this is because when I was replacing the matrix today I noticed a leak coming from the bulkhead connector on the cabin side.

http://i895.photobucket.com/albums/ac160/meffs/IMG_0160.jpg
Broken bulkhead inlet connector cabin side.

Tomcat
Friday 30th July 2010, 22:03
To pull the heater hoses out of the bulkhead just squeeze the yellow clips inwards and pull the hose out, just make sure you catch all the rubber and plastic 'O' rings.

meffs
Friday 30th July 2010, 22:06
That's the problem Tomcat, i need to get the hoses out of the engine bay side too, the last picture shows the bit you are talking about which has just sheered off.

nobananas
Friday 30th July 2010, 22:14
What about the other ends ? Would it be easiler to remove them then join the two stubs together with some hose. Alternatively if you get really stuck is it possible to clamp off both heater hoses using mole grips with tubes/sockets over the jaws.

meffs
Friday 30th July 2010, 22:28
What about the other ends ? Would it be easiler to remove them then join the two stubs together with some hose. Alternatively if you get really stuck is it possible to clamp off both heater hoses using mole grips with tubes/sockets over the jaws.

You mean the ends that go into the block? It's a bugger to explain, because the piece that has broken is fixed on the cabin side and on the engine bay side where you see the two hoses with metal elbows that's fixed to the bulkhead with a metal plate and two t20 torx screws, underneath that is a rubber flange the same shape as the metal plate. I removed the plate and flange but it is still set pretty firm in the bulkhead. On the cabin side is a black plastic plate where the two plastic connectors are, one of which has sheared off (pic), they rotate but don't come out.

nobananas
Friday 30th July 2010, 23:25
You mean the ends that go into the block? It's a bugger to explain, because the piece that has broken is fixed on the cabin side and on the engine bay side where you see the two hoses with metal elbows that's fixed to the bulkhead with a metal plate and two t20 torx screws, underneath that is a rubber flange the same shape as the metal plate. I removed the plate and flange but it is still set pretty firm in the bulkhead. On the cabin side is a black plastic plate where the two plastic connectors are, one of which has sheared off (pic), they rotate but don't come out.

Do the ends that go to the engine from the bulkhead join on using jubilee clips though as these may be easier for you to disconnect then join the two points together with a length of hose.

JUDGENINJA
Saturday 31st July 2010, 01:28
Yep, bypassed mine. I think I just removed the pipes completely and bridged it with some spare hose off another car..

claymore
Saturday 31st July 2010, 08:34
I just got rid of the bulkhead block all together, then just joined the engine bay pipes to the heater matrix with some heater pipe.

meffs
Saturday 31st July 2010, 08:53
I just got rid of the bulkhead block all together, then just joined the engine bay pipes to the heater matrix with some heater pipe.

Can you by any chance remember how to get the bits out of the bulkhead?

Cheers

Meffs

flyingbrick
Saturday 31st July 2010, 08:57
Yep I did the same with mine. Got rid of the stupid plastic clips and 'o' rings. Ran some 5/8" heater hose straight from the matrix through the bulk head and on to the pipes under the bonnet. Job done.......

flyingbrick
Saturday 31st July 2010, 08:59

Cheers

Meffs

It was a while ago. Thin I used a hammer lol......

claymore
Saturday 31st July 2010, 09:00

Cheers

Meffs

Just two screws if I remember, you can see one of them in the first picture.

meffs
Saturday 31st July 2010, 09:00
It was a while ago. Thin I used a hammer lol......
Lol...how did I know you were going to say that. Thanks anyway.

meffs
Saturday 31st July 2010, 09:03
Just two screws if I remember, you can see one of them in the first picture.

Yes, I removed those two but still having difficulty splitting the cabin side with the bay side as the firewall is like the filling in a sandwich if that makes any sense. Looks like it's flyingbrick's method of removal lol.

Cheers

Meffs

flyingbrick
Saturday 31st July 2010, 09:04
Lol...how did I know you were going to say that. Thanks anyway.

Sorry
I just remember it being very fidely with my sausage fingers. I cant remember how must I spent at the stealers on new clips and rubber seals.
Get rid of the lot and run hose from the matrix through the bulk head matey....

claymore
Saturday 31st July 2010, 09:06
have you uncliped the pipes in the cabin?
I just cut mine off with an angle grinder.

meffs
Saturday 31st July 2010, 09:10
yes, the pipes in the cabin are all out. The only pipes connected are the two that go in to the bulkhead from the engine bay.

flyingbrick
Saturday 31st July 2010, 09:19
yes, the pipes in the cabin are all out. The only pipes connected are the two that go in to the bulkhead from the engine bay.

Disconect the pipes in the bulkhead run some 5/8" pipe through the bulkhead from the matrix and join them to the old hoses with jubilee clips...

t5lover
Saturday 31st July 2010, 10:59
i bypassed mine and all is good the best thing to do with them silly bloody clips :)

meffs
Saturday 31st July 2010, 18:17
well after trying to find somewhere that has 5/8" rad pipe in stock turned out to be a no-starter I ended up cutting the old pipe up and bodging it with copper pipe bits to connect the inlet and the outlet on the block. fingures crossed it aint leaking yet. Looking forward to a visit to good old Halfrauds on Monday! Just hope it gets me across the pond. Cheers for the help guys.

Meffs