PDA

View Full Version : 96 s70 2.5 thrust bearing leak

skyhopper
Friday 30th July 2010, 17:34
Hello, i have leak of dot 4 its from the thrust bearing the clutch is smooth change no problems its been like it for 18 months volvo say if change bearing then good idea too chang clutch too ok i agree but if my clutch ok then would the leak be coming from the hose and could that just be change saving me 650 for a full change any ideas most welcome cheers

nobananas
Friday 30th July 2010, 20:51
I'm assuming that you're S70 is fitted with a combined clutch slave and release bearing unit (concentric slave cylinder) which is located within the gearbox bell-housing. If you're leak is coming from the bell-housing area then it's highly likely that the slave is leaking. There are pipe connections to it but again these are within the bell housing so if there is a leak here the box would have to come off just as it would if the slave is leaking. It's unusual to have a leak over such a long period without loosing the clutch altogether but eventually you are going to have to bite the bullet and have the box off. If it's coming off then as your garage has said you might as well do the clutch certainly if the car has covered more than 60 odd thousand miles on the original clutch unit with no evidence of a previous change. While you're there you may as well do the rear crank seal as these are a weak point on the 5 pots.