PDA

View Full Version : oil leak above dipstick holder? after doing pcv is there a loose something?

watchmytracer
Sunday 25th July 2010, 13:58
Hi all and thanks for your help in advance

in a nutshell i got new car with smoke coming out of dipstick and exhaust so i took car to small garage (does lots of volvos)and he did rubber pipes which cured that problem perfectly taking off manifold to get to all areas i changed dipstick for new one as well.i then found(possibly like this when i got car) lots of oil under car so i had another look and found a not very well done up pipe under spark plug cover and oil coming out of oil cap seal so cleaned them up and got new cap thinking problem solved but still loads of oil leaking out.

I have spent 2 hours looking and cleaning oil from underneath of car and it seems to be possibbly coming out of bottom of dipstick holder (is this difficult to replace with no leaks) but there seems to be rather a lot is there lots of pressure and it is difficult to tell as it sprays back due to fan so i am not 100% sure.

so two questions really
1 is there a pipe under manifold i cannot see that has not been put on correctly when rubber pipes were cleaned that would cause lots of oil loss.
2 is there a place for oil to leak from just above the bottom of the dipstick holder (again cannot quite see enough)

watchmytracer
Sunday 25th July 2010, 19:23
as above please

5seaterT5x2
Sunday 25th July 2010, 20:00
Hi all and thanks for your help in advance

in a nutshell i got new car with smoke coming out of dipstick and exhaust so i took car to small garage (does lots of volvos)and he did rubber pipes

(just to be clear you say you changed the pipes? what about the unit itself the box fitted to front of engine?)

which cured that problem perfectly taking off manifold to get to all areas i changed dipstick for new one as well.i then found(possibly like this when i got car) lots of oil under car

(can be leaking turbo oil retun pipe again couple quid easy fix)

so i had another look and found a not very well done up pipe under spark plug cover and oil coming out of oil cap seal so cleaned them up and got new cap (and seal?) thinking problem solved but still loads of oil leaking out.

I have spent 2 hours looking and cleaning oil from underneath of car and it seems to be possibbly coming out of bottom of dipstick (there is a seal here which can leak couple quid cheap fix) holder (is this difficult to replace with no leaks) but there seems to be rather a lot is there lots of pressure (often a sign of blocked pcv) and it is difficult to tell as it sprays back due to fan so i am not 100% sure.

so two questions really
1 is there a pipe under manifold i cannot see that has not been put on correctly when rubber pipes were cleaned that would cause lots of oil loss.
2 is there a place for oil to leak from just above the bottom of the dipstick holder (again cannot quite see enough) hope this helps

princepugh
Sunday 25th July 2010, 21:01
Does sound rather like a blocked PCV issue - not sure how this is configured on the 850 but it's probably a combination of plumbing, possibly a flame trap and a 'box' on the block.

watchmytracer
Sunday 25th July 2010, 21:57
hi manythanks for reply as this is getting annoying .firstly as i did not carry work out for myself dont know about this box what is it but i am sure that pipes were done correctly as there is no smoke coming out of anywhere.what is this box would it leak much oil?. checked turbo and pipes no leaks there leak is defo from front as i said but seems a bit much oil to come straight out of dipstick holder but i dont know!. is there anything else there or as you said it could be this box

5seaterT5x2
Sunday 25th July 2010, 22:51
hi manythanks for reply as this is getting annoying .firstly as i did not carry work out for myself dont know about this box what is it but i am sure that pipes were done correctly as there is no smoke coming out of anywhere.what is this box would it leak much oil?. checked turbo and pipes no leaks there leak is defo from front as i said but seems a bit much oil to come straight out of dipstick holder but i dont know!. is there anything else there or as you said it could be this box

try this

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=46946

mightywolf
Thursday 29th July 2010, 23:10
I had the same problem. Stripped it down tonight and the oil was coming from a split in a small elbow that goes from the bolck into the oil seperator on the pcv system. Bit annoyed as I only changed all the pcv system a couple of weeks ago. Looked like it had been shredded!