PDA

View Full Version : Powerflex'd engine mount & stabiliser bar

p fandango
Sunday 25th July 2010, 11:54
looking over Bonny yesterday & found the engine top mount was totally shot. Looking on the Powerflex site & they do a D5 top mount, smaller top mount/tie-bar bush & new bushes to strengthen the stabiliser bar (mine is weak but not sure how flexible it should be). Has anyone fitted all 4 bushes to firm up the top mount system & was it worth it

LeeT5
Sunday 25th July 2010, 12:04
I have replaced the large top mount but when it came to replacing the smaller one at the rear i found it was in perfect order and very stiff, so i didn't bother. i don't think the powerflex bush would have made any difference. As for the lower trans mount bushes, both were replaced with powerflex and it made an incredible difference!

I recommend you fit the strut brace bushes too whilst your there (very simple to fit) and they make a big difference also.

p fandango
Sunday 25th July 2010, 13:47
I have replaced the large top mount but when it came to replacing the smaller one at the rear i found it was in perfect order and very stiff, so i didn't bother. i don't think the powerflex bush would have made any difference. As for the lower trans mount bushes, both were replaced with powerflex and it made an incredible difference!

I recommend you fit the strut brace bushes too whilst your there (very simple to fit) and they make a big difference also.
thanks for that, i was thinking of replacing the top 4 (large & small engine & strut bar) & leave the trans mounts as is because it is only my every day car

Redbrick
Sunday 25th July 2010, 16:32
Do the engine torque bar by all means, with washers, IPD solid mounts or Powerflex but do not waste your money Powerflexing the top engine mount as well. I put up with mine for three days before I sold it on and went back to standard.

Vibration hell on a D5.

v70torslanda
Sunday 25th July 2010, 19:46
Get a standard, new top mount like RedBrick says. The rubber is now square in section and not known for failing again.

p fandango
Sunday 25th July 2010, 19:57
Do the engine torque bar by all means, with washers, IPD solid mounts or Powerflex but do not waste your money Powerflexing the top engine mount as well. I put up with mine for three days before I sold it on and went back to standard.

Vibration hell on a D5.
never thought of the extra vibration that you get from diesel engines, thanks

p fandango
Sunday 25th July 2010, 19:58
Get a standard, new top mount like RedBrick says. The rubber is now square in section and not known for failing again.
do they still sell the original round one like its got fitted? Don't fancy messing about & the extra cost of swopping brackets over

Redbrick
Sunday 25th July 2010, 23:27
Don't think so. You just bolt the new mount on with square bush in it- takes 2 mins. Can't remember cost.

p fandango
Sunday 25th July 2010, 23:56
Don't think so. You just bolt the new mount on with square bush in it- takes 2 mins. Can't remember cost.
just had a look on PFV, & they want £63 for the new bracket & bush :eye-poppi

RobbieH
Monday 26th July 2010, 00:30
New top mount

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Volvo-S60-V70-XC70-S80-XC90-D5-Top-Engine-Mount-Bush-/160443415197?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item255b2c3a9d

or

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Volvo-top-engine-mount-torque-arm-D5-engine-V70-S60-/190422506321?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2c5610db51

£28 - I'm tempted just to buy it and put it on the shelf just in case even though I'm running the newer square version already.

Solid mounting the engine stay bar will act as a strut brace of sorts as well which is an added bonus and doesn't affect engine noise in the cabin unduly.

If the top mount is shot, have you checked the gearbox torque mount? But be careful how you Powerflex that if you value your teeth LOL.

p fandango
Monday 26th July 2010, 01:04
New top mount

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Volvo-S60-V70-XC70-S80-XC90-D5-Top-Engine-Mount-Bush-/160443415197?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item255b2c3a9d

or

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Volvo-top-engine-mount-torque-arm-D5-engine-V70-S60-/190422506321?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2c5610db51

£28 - I'm tempted just to buy it and put it on the shelf just in case even though I'm running the newer square version already.

Solid mounting the engine stay bar will act as a strut brace of sorts as well which is an added bonus and doesn't affect engine noise in the cabin unduly.

If the top mount is shot, have you checked the gearbox torque mount? But be careful how you Powerflex that if you value your teeth LOL.
thats a bit better price lol. Powerflexing just the strut bar seems to be the way with Volvo engine mounts i think

no not checked the gearbox tie-bar yet

S60-MBS
Monday 26th July 2010, 01:13
thats a bit better price lol. Powerflexing just the strut bar seems to be the way with Volvo engine mounts i think

no not checked the gearbox tie-bar yet

Watch this space,When i get delivery of shiney bits from John my power flexed tie bar will be available to a good home.

p fandango
Monday 26th July 2010, 01:27
Watch this space,When i get delivery of shiney bits from John my power flexed tie bar will be available to a good home.
erm that sounds interesting

dave stew
Tuesday 27th July 2010, 23:00
I am running (courtesy of John B) the newer square section top mount (Meyle), gearbox mount (ditto) and strut bar tensioners (Powerflex - cheers Robbie). It makes a noticeable improvement as you drive the first few miles, then you get used to it. Worth doing.

v70torslanda
Tuesday 27th July 2010, 23:12
If anyone wants my old gearbox stay - you will need the PF bushes cos the old ones are knacked - drop me a PM and I'll send it you next week when I'll be able to sneak it in with the droplinks and stuff . . .

dave854
Wednesday 28th July 2010, 10:02
Are the P2 gearbox stays and top mount the same as the P1 V70? got a lot of clonking going on, not sure what one it is though yet (I've a P1 V70). My dad has a P2 so interesting read above will bear that all in mind when the time comes to replace the bushes on his - thanks :)

Meyle bushes - are they harder or softer than the powerflex ones?

v70torslanda
Wednesday 28th July 2010, 10:45
I don't think either mount is the same.

Meyle HD bushes are still rubber. Polyurethane is denser and more durable than ANY rubber bush.

rs13219
Wednesday 28th July 2010, 23:02
I've bought the powerflex stabilizer bar bushes but they won't fit, the hole is definitely too small. Anyone else had this problem?

dave stew
Thursday 29th July 2010, 20:13
I've bought the powerflex stabilizer bar bushes but they won't fit, the hole is definitely too small. Anyone else had this problem?

Not once they get to 40. :shy:

rs13219
Thursday 29th July 2010, 23:10
They wouldn't fit & i even took them to a precision engineering company who set up & build race engines/rally cars. In the end had the brackets machined out by 3.5mm to accommodate the bushes.

RobbieH
Friday 30th July 2010, 15:36

They wouldn't fit & i even took them to a precision engineering company who set up & build race engines/rally cars. In the end had the brackets machined out by 3.5mm to accommodate the bushes.

The Powerflex bushes for the engine stay bar are a VERY tight fit and IMHO are meant to be to fill the gap between the outer housing and the inner bush through which the mounting bolt fits.
When I had a set (which Dave S now has) there was no way I could force theminto the gap by hand. I think it requires the pressure from tightening the whole thing up to force the Powerflex into the gap. This will then provide the required stiffness to the whole bush.

Somehow what you have done does not sound correct.

Have a look here: http://forums.t5d5.org/topic/4575-powerflex-s60-strut-brace-tensioner-bush-kit/page__hl__powerflex

Personally I preferred the cheaper repair washer trick to make the whole stay bar solid.

dave stew
Saturday 31st July 2010, 01:00
You are all obviously puffs. I can say this because I grew up in the seventies and use the Guardian to light bonfires with.

We (my mate avec le Porsche garage) pushed the bushes in and then tightened the stay bar up with a 1/2" ratchet and got em 'reet tight'. All sorted.

Buy a pair. don't be a puff. Drink Lucazade.

RobbieH
Saturday 31st July 2010, 11:02
You are all obviously puffs. I can say this because I grew up in the seventies and use the Guardian to light bonfires with.

We (my mate avec le Porsche garage) pushed the bushes in and then tightened the stay bar up with a 1/2" ratchet and got em 'reet tight'. All sorted.

Buy a pair. don't be a puff. Drink Lucazade.

One would assume you were NOT drinking Lucazade last night n'est pas :P

dave stew
Saturday 31st July 2010, 16:04
Umm... You should have seen the swearing and ale fuelled bile on a couple of other forums I frequent... Or perhaps not!

uzyg
Monday 2nd August 2010, 11:37
Sorry to hijack the thread, but does anyone know if you can get these 'QBM' strut bar conversion kits anywhere in the UK?

Would it be best to pay more and go for a proper front strut bar? Or are the conversion kits worth the money and do just a good a job?

RobbieH
Monday 2nd August 2010, 12:54
Sorry to hijack the thread, but does anyone know if you can get these 'QBM' strut bar conversion kits anywhere in the UK?

Would it be best to pay more and go for a proper front strut bar? Or are the conversion kits worth the money and do just a good a job?

Looks like QBM are RIP http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum/index.php/topic/122749-contacting-quickbrick-motorsports/

You might be able to get the bits from IPD. AFAIK the mounts were about $69 a pair, so not cheap especially now the exchange rate has taken a beating.

Why not try the cheapo repair washer trick first and see how you get on. That might be sufficient, although saying that I have them and an Ultra racing strut brace (T5D5 group buy).

Edit: just looked at IPD site http://www.ipdusa.com/Volvo-V70XC70-2001-2007/Suspension-&-Steering/Ipd-strut-brace-conversion/p-127-388-5560/

$109.95 :jaw:

uzyg
Monday 2nd August 2010, 14:07
wow, for that price it may be best to get an actual strut brace. Out of curiosity, does anyone know if a brace that fits a v70 2000 - 2007 would also fit my s60 (52 plate)?