PDA

View Full Version : turbo timer for my 850 ? any suggestions

Scootch
Thursday 22nd July 2010, 22:01
I'm after a Turbo Timer for my 850, can any one reccomend one i can just plug n go ? cheers

t5_monkey
Thursday 22nd July 2010, 22:13
I'm after a Turbo Timer for my 850, can any one reccomend one i can just plug n go ? cheers

Can't you just sit and breath deeply as you let the sweat drip down your forehead from your manic driving style for a minute... before turning off your engine and getting out?

that's what i do :D

t5 stealth
Thursday 22nd July 2010, 22:45
Can't you just sit and breath deeply as you let the sweat drip down your forehead from your manic driving style for a minute... before turning off your engine and getting out?

i was thinking the same thing..........
dont switch it off for a minite after you stop,
or just drive the last mile home normaly....
thats a cheaper and more reliable option lol.

nobananas
Thursday 22nd July 2010, 23:07
Pointless in my opinion. Who rags their motor then just turns it off, unless you live on a motorway junction, I'm guessing nobody ! If you have to drive half a mile or so in a thirty limit before switch off then job done and remember you can only use one if the vehicle is parked on private property as it is an offence to leave a vehicle unattended and running on the highway. (sorry that sounds a lot more like ranting then it was meant to !)

Haizum74
Thursday 22nd July 2010, 23:12

Sort of cool down as you spool down?

Volvostorm
Thursday 22nd July 2010, 23:36
I'm thinking about getting one fitted to my rebuilt engine, but the above advice is good, the last mile will cool it nicely, another thing to bear in mind, the turbo is watercooled, not aircooled like most cars use.

p fandango
Friday 23rd July 2010, 05:11
LINK (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Universal-Turbo-Timer-/260638006224?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3caf3c5bd0)

this is the one i used to have on BT, very smart with automatic mode which detected how you are driving & would leave the engine running longer if you'd been thrashing it. All the wiring is done behind the steering column but does take some time with a test meter to find the required ignition feeds

Scootch
Friday 23rd July 2010, 06:05
I live just off a 70mph zone long straight road , then i hit my village 40mph round the corner i'm home, i was told that when u switch the engine off the oil stops going to the turbo thus if u turn it off straight away you run the risk of knackering yr turbo ............?

t5 stealth
Friday 23rd July 2010, 09:21
you dont have to do 70 tho lol.
anyway if you look at ur boost gauge wen u drive u will see the turbo only spools up wen you accelerate,off throttle or holding set speed the boost will drop off,ie turbo not spooling thus cooloing down,
then u can switch engine off wen u get home,or wait a min if u want to....

Scootch
Friday 23rd July 2010, 09:23
who mentioned doing 70 lol , oh well i wont bother then, every one seems to be against them on volvo's, i shall spend my money on summit else

t5 stealth
Friday 23rd July 2010, 09:29
[QUOTE=Scootch;322484]I live just off a 70mph zone long straight road

you did lol