PDA

View Full Version : Flasing ABS light after 300yds, then goes ok

Liddo
Tuesday 20th July 2010, 09:30
Hi All,

Ive asked this before, but this is a more accurate description.

I have a strange problem. Sometimes, and not every time, when i drive to work in the mornings, my ABS light will flash at the exact same point 300yds down the road. This will cut the power for 5 or so secs, then it goes away. Its like its doing a diagnostic check, and finding an issue. Now, this only seems to have started since i replaced the front discs and pads (gen volvo stuff) I "may" of gone overboard with the copper grease on the rear of the disc. Could this be affecting the ABS sensor, or could grease of got into the abs ring????

Its really puzzling how it happens at the same spot every time. And before you ask, the road is bone dry and free of grease ;)

ny ideas chaps, before i start stripping my brakes back down :doh:

P.S, it TRIED to do it this moring, but i was in a different gear and going a little faster, so i pushed through it (sort of thing)

princepugh
Tuesday 20th July 2010, 16:32
Does the ABS work normally after it's had its hiccup?

Liddo
Tuesday 20th July 2010, 18:52
Does the ABS work normally after it's had its hiccup?

Think so mate, Ive not had to test it since Ive had the car! Might go out in a bit and slam on ;)

Dacvolvo
Tuesday 20th July 2010, 22:22
Hey Liddo

On my old Volvo 460 2.0i CD, whenever I started the engine and began to drive, as soon as I reached 15 mph, there was a a very weird noise that I can only describe as somebody tearing metal.

After a good few weeks of head scratching, I finally found out that it was the ABS running a diagnosis check and the noise was completely normal.

I'm thinking your car is doing something similar (as per the light every single time you drive her), but I'm wondering if the brake pad sensor has been fitted wrongly or is damaged when you replaced the discs and pads, either that or I'd hazard a guess that an ABS sensor on one of your wheels is on the way out.

Regardless, it's gotta be electrical and not mechanical. I'm guessing that if it were mechanical, you be getting the problem more than once and it would start getting worse over time, but if it's just at that one same point every day, and it's as soon as you've stared her, it's just got to be electrical.

If I were you, I'd remove and then re-fit the discs and pads once more. They must be interfering with an electrical diagnosis on start up.

Liddo
Wednesday 21st July 2010, 09:09
If I were you, I'd remove and then re-fit the discs and pads once more. They must be interfering with an electrical diagnosis on start up.

Thats my next job mate, Im gonna strip them back down, take the discs off and look at the ABS ring to see if theres any blockages. If everything looks ok, I'll replace the ABS sensors, as i think that's where the fault lies.

Deffo electrical / sensor type of fault though

;)

Dacvolvo
Wednesday 21st July 2010, 18:54
Keep us all posted.