PDA

View Full Version : climate control lights flashing?

mhill53
Monday 19th July 2010, 23:40
sometimes when i start my R up the recirc light and the a/c flash together?i know ive seen a post on here before regarding this issue but cant find it?

t5 pete
Tuesday 20th July 2010, 07:55
i sure it means theres a problem with the aircon like it needs regassing

NorthlandDave
Tuesday 20th July 2010, 08:43
Means the climate control (ECC) has stored a fault code/DTC. You can read this off and it will tell you what's wrong. Depends on whether you have a diagnostic unit under the bonnet next to the washer bottle filler neck or an OBD socket under the coin holder in front of the gear stick on how you do it.

Under Bonnet And Codes: http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/tech/service/850/AC-HeaterSystem-Auto.pdf
OBD Socket: http://850r.dk/pdf/850/volvo%20error%20code%20readout,%201996-1998.pdf

Dave

grayboy
Wednesday 21st July 2010, 09:34
Yes I have the same problem with my unit. It flashes for 20 seconds or so on startup. I had mine regassed recently to see if I could get the air con to work for longer periods without cutting out. It didn't work, so it needs a new air con pump and the fault code deleting, as stated in an earlier reply.

Liddo
Wednesday 21st July 2010, 09:36
My old S70's climate would start the fan briefly, then flash the lights and then no fan whatsoever. Its turned out to be the fan blower (dead easy to replace)

Eraserhead
Wednesday 21st July 2010, 19:46
I have a 97 R awd,when my climate lights flashed it turned out to be the cabin temperature sensor near the info/sunroof buttons,theres a temperature sensor in the dashboard with a fan on it,the fan was clogged up with years of grime,cleaned up,all worked great after that.

mhill53
Thursday 22nd July 2010, 01:49
my fan blower blows no problem every time,aircon doesnt appear very cold though? dont fully understand the above link regarding reading the code?do you leave the positive side of the led connected to the + pin then connect the otherside of the led to all the other ports one at a time until you find the fault?

mhill53
Thursday 22nd July 2010, 17:56
All sorted,took the covers off the cabin temp sensors behind the driver/passenger grab handles blew them out with an air gun and no more flashing lights on start up!

NorthlandDave
Friday 23rd July 2010, 11:11
Glad you got it sorted.

If you want to check the codes for climate control (ECC) using the 16 pin connector:

Connect 12 volt led (or normal led with resistor) + to pin 16 and - to pin 6. Connect a lead to pin 5 and contact led - for 1 second. The led will flash a number of times then a pause then again then a pause then again. Count the flashes noting the longer pauses to get the code. For example 3 flashes pause 4 flashes pause 2 flashes would be code 3-4-2. Connect the lead from pin 5 to led - for one second again to get the next code and so on. Once you get the first code flash again that is all of the codes stored.

To clear the codes (need to have gone through all the codes and back to the first again):

Connect lead from pin 5 to led - for 5 seconds, led will come back on after 3 seconds, connect lead from pin 5 to led - for another 5 seconds. If you do it for 1 second now you should get code 1-1-1 which is no codes stored.

Sounds a lot more complicated than it is, once you've done it once you get the hang of it, but the timing on the clearing bit is a bit of a pain.